***stop Policeware On Our Pc's***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Spearboy
:eek:

never thought i would see the day... canada....nice....holy shit
I think they still have at least 50% of their civil liberties up there. :p

All it takes is one or two high profile stunts to get the majority of people thinking this is a good thing. Just look at 9/11...before that, the VAST majority of the country would've wanted any president that showed interest in invading the middle east out of office, but then afterwards, it was "Un-American" to protest the invasion. I imagine they'll think up some bullshit story, that piracy funds terrorism or that terrorist sects use mIRC to coordinate their attacks; and then the bill will pass no problem. Yay controlled media.

Originally posted by retardedchicken

notice how most of the people who proposed it are 'Crats:eek:

I hope Kerry loses this election:D (although it wont affect the bill too much)

also, i consider the government an "internet predator" which seems to be the thing to vote against now a days, but my 15 year old ass cant vote yet:(
these days both the Democrats and Republicans are all about compromising civil liberties...I have a feeling the Republicans are just as happy about this little bill as the Democrats.

Originally posted by emorphien
Canada seems pretty nice.
It's pretty good. :cool:

Well, as scary as this may appear, I have to believe it'll die before every becoming possibility.

Originally posted by finalgt
I imagine they'll think up some bullshit story, that piracy funds terrorism or that terrorist sects use mIRC to coordinate their attacks; and then the bill will pass no problem. Yay controlled media.
You forgot to mention that Marijuana also funds terrorism :rolleyes: :)

Originally posted by retardedchicken
will they still be able to track if you're not on the net? because i sure as hell would disc. my cable to stay away from those bastards

notice how most of the people who proposed it are 'Crats:eek:

I hope Kerry loses this election:D (although it wont affect the bill too much)

also, i consider the government an "internet predator" which seems to be the thing to vote against now a days, but my 15 year old ass cant vote yet:(

wtf are you simple? both sides do this and the right sure as HELL loves this stuff. no matter who gets elected WE ARE FUCKED

i really don't know what i'll do if this type of shit continues. Sure, there are maybe <1% of the population that will import parts and run some programs to trick the networks into thinking they're running it, but most people won't. to me, its just like shoving a device on my forehead and saying 'be careful, we know where you go and when.' I never thought i'd have to consider this til i was in my 40s, but......is moving a real possibility? (i'm 20 now)

Originally posted by SuperBoatDude586
Suddenly, I get a new respect for this place

*signed*

quite hilarious, except the page crashed firefox. it was waiting for the googleads and got in an infinite loop. way to go.

I'm not a fanboy of either side, i don't think either one is "right enough" for me to side with them. That said, I've made up my mind who I will vote for, and no amount of political cock-waggling will change it.

Originally posted by kronchev
quite hilarious, except the page crashed firefox. it was waiting for the googleads and got in an infinite loop. way to go.

IE > Firefox

:p

(Im using firefox right now)

Originally posted by Crack[H]eaD
<sarcasm>Yeah, I remember going down to my local poll an voting on the DMCA and the Patriot Act.</sarcasm>
Our only chance to shoot this down is to write our congressmen. I have written letters to both Arizona reps about this months ago (I think I saw it on /. then)

What you have to keep in mind is that the politicians don't care what you (the individual citizen/taxpayer) think. All they are concerned about is catering to the big businesses and industries with the best lobbyists and the most money to contribute to their re-election campaigns. How the hell do you think the DMCA got passed in its current retarded form? If organizations like the RIAA and MPAA play their cards right don't be suprised to see this pushed down our throats just like the DMCA.

This will be absolutely undoable. The device/program would be right there for anybody to try to crack.

5$ says that if it ever becomes a reality, there will be a way around it within a week.

Originally posted by Ravenrex
What you have to keep in mind is that the politicians don't care what you (the individual citizen/taxpayer) think. All they are concerned about is catering to the big businesses and industries with the best lobbyists and the most money to contribute to their re-election campaigns. How the hell do you think the DMCA got passed in its current retarded form? If organizations like the RIAA and MPAA play their cards right don't be suprised to see this pushed down our throats just like the DMCA.

Luckily the Tech & Electronics Industry has been the counterwieght against that for several decades now
(but it is a turfwar between big business, with a few sqeeks from the public)

educating yourself and those around you is always the best course

"Americans are the best entertained and the least informed
people in the world." Neil Postman

who the fuck came out with this idea, ima fucking kill them, its against our privay damn..................some crazy ass !!!!!!!!!!!!s. ima sign that shit 100 times. :mad: :mad: :mad:

if its hardware based, the only way i can think around it are like ip masks or something...unless we go REALLY scary andu have to register ur specific code directly to ur name.....like, it has to be issued to you and only 'issued' codes will be accepted. 1984 and Animal Farm, here we come. When i read those, i always thought 'this could never REALLY happpen'

I couldn't find Vinyl Dye at a single store in my town(for my cd-rw) and i was pissed cuz now i'm gonna have to drive 1+ hours to get it. Now I might have to drive 5 hours up to canadia to get me some hardware...although, if i could do w/e the hell i wanted on it, that would be a big A+ you would think that would work wouldn't it? I mean the US can't make the companies include their shit for products destined for canada.

I can see the inspection coming back in. "SORRY officer, i just saw how much cheaper it was here in canada, so i thought i'd bring it home. huh? whats 'policeware?'"

wow, bigger sentace for dl a few songs than for selling weed....aint the gov't great?!

i swear the govt is just begging to be over thrown all the shit the world has doen in the past 3 or so years has pissed me off soo much

also note all of the people who introduced this bill are Democrats.....

Cough*Paladium*Cough...

Mark my worlds, we are coming soon to a radical change in life. Sad thing is, is thats its a catch 21, if you want true freedom your must give up your rights and let ONLY the truly qualified rule. If you want to keep your rights of government you must allow for the populace to reign and issues to be decided by bias and influenced individuals.

The youth needs to make thier voice heard, and not through influenced mediums such as MTV (watching choose-or-lose made me seriously embarrased to be associated with my age group).

Soon free-speach will be censored, and soon after everything you do will be watched.

Now theres only one thing I fear more than loseing my rights to the government, and thats a lack of defence. If Kerry becomes elected (and I'm not saying this just becuase I'm a Republican, it is fact) and he does infact cut CIA funding, which he plans on doing, there will be a catasrophic event in the United States which will dwarf 9/11.

Now you only have 3 options, become a republican (which I am, but I am offended by nothing but censorship), become a democrat and decide to spend money on "places where its needed", I don't care how much money an inner-city schools recieves it won't matter when there is no one to attend it. Your third option is, well there really is no third option. I'd much rather give up my right to government (fuck, no one has ever became president without an insanly great deal of money), and be able to live in peace without big-brother watching over my shoulder.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, but life scares me, and if you think 9/11 was bad, wait 'till they elect Kerry.

Oh, and by the way, I'm 14.

and, I'm sorry, but you sound like it.

Give up your rights to the government and not have to worry about privacy issues? :confused: say what? Sorry but you got that a little backwards.

And I'll give you a little heads up: we didn't just randomly get attacked out of nowhere. A little less greed, exploitation, self-centered and short-sighted interventions, etc and we wouldn't have to worry. The Republican party has the foresight of a 4 year old.

/end soapbox as 9/11 is off topic

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

Ok yeah, my thoughts were a little mis-interpreted, but mainly becuase they were jumbled, pehaps I will reowrd it in the morning... perhaps....

And also, either way freedom = security, like it or not.

Originally posted by obyj34
Ok yeah, my thoughts were a little mis-interpreted, but mainly becuase they were jumbled, pehaps I will reowrd it in the morning... perhaps....

And also, either way freedom = security, like it or not.

I would like to think of it more as freedom != security. Just my opinion. But the more rights you give people, the more the fucked-up-in-the-heads a chance to do something truly stupid/catastrophic

but i try not to be very political, because politics is bullshit in the US, at least 75% of the time its just whoever has the most money to give/whatever politician owes a favor to someone is how it works. SOrry if it doesn't make much sense

Originally posted by lopoetve
Vote and stop it.

haha, like your vote counts?

didnt anyone learn anything from the florida ballots in the last presidential election?

Originally posted by obyj34

Now you only have 3 options, become a republican (which I am, but I am offended by nothing but censorship), become a democrat and decide to spend money on "places where its needed", I don't care how much money an inner-city schools recieves it won't matter when there is no one to attend it. Your third option is, well there really is no third option. I'd much rather give up my right to government (fuck, no one has ever became president without an insanly great deal of money), and be able to live in peace without big-brother watching over my shoulder.
The Republicans are the traditional "Big Brother" party...who do you think passed the Patriot Act?

Originally posted by grantunderland
I would like to think of it more as freedom != security. Just my opinion. But the more rights you give people, the more the fucked-up-in-the-heads a chance to do something truly stupid/catastrophic

everything that is not proscribed is mandatory

Id rather deal with the "fucked-up-in-the-heads"
than the thought police

Originally posted by Ice Czar

Id rather deal with the "fucked-up-in-the-heads"
than the thought police
indeed, plus, the true crazies can provide a great deal of amusement:D

There's a lady who sets up a stand sometimes near here...she honestly believes space lizards control the earth. Lol!

this is some interesting shit...

umm... basically, i dont' see how the US could require non US owned companies to manufacture goods with policeware in them... i mean.. i am sure that most computer hardware comes from asia, and most of those companies (even though many might be owned by US corps.) are asian owned.. at least i hope so and think so.. am i wrong here??

anyways.. what i am trying to say... is the US is going to have to make certain goods illegal to import.. i mean how are they going to make a motherboard illegal? this is going to piss off large corps. and foriegn governements. basically the rest of the world.

also.. if the policeware is built into computer components... then there will be a way to mod it somehow... maybe not if it is in a cpu (unless you disable certain pins or somethig) but there will be ways around it...

security will be compromised on comptuers.. because the door the govt uses to get into your comptuer will be used by others too... talk about a good way for spyware companies to find out what sites you go to and exactly what to try to advertise to you..

i don't think this bill can actually pass... and i hope i am right... but you never know.

Originally posted by scottatwittenberg

umm... basically, i dont' see how the US could require non US owned companies to manufacture goods with policeware in them... i mean.. i am sure that most computer hardware comes from asia, and most of those companies (even though many might be owned by US corps.) are asian owned.. at least i hope so and think so.. am i wrong here??

anyways.. what i am trying to say... is the US is going to have to make certain goods illegal to import.. i mean how are they going to make a motherboard illegal? this is going to piss off large corps. and foriegn governements. basically the rest of the world.
it would be like emissions controls on cars. No one's twisting foreign companies' arms to put them on, but they won't sell cars without them, so profit motivates said companies to include such devices.

I realize that was confusing, so let me try to simplify.
They *could* make it where no policeware=no selling it in US.
no selling it=no profit.
no profit=sad panda.

Originally posted by scottatwittenberg
this is going to piss off large corps. and foriegn governements. basically the rest of the world.

and of course there is no precedence for that :p

This thread has veered too far off into Soapbox territory. Politics ain't hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back