Stop me from buying a iPhone 4S...

The more I keep hearing about the Nexus, the more I care less about it.

The main use for my cellphone is work and social. I don't spend hours with custom roms tweaking every bit of the phone. I don't even play any games.

Stupid requirement, but I want my next phone to have the best camera quality. I thought the Nexus would be the android to finally compete with the iPhone in that category. After viewing recent samples...the iPhone is still king.

What's really holding me back is lack of 4g, 3.5 screen (Dinc is 3.5 so I'm used to it), tethering, and lack of widgets.

Those negatives are compelling, but I have two friends who were hardcore Android users until they went with the 4S. I hear nothing but praise from them. They don't miss any of those features one bit.

Ahhh what to do?

Samsung Focus S(windows phone 7.5) , does everything you asked for, has possibly the fastest / most responsive UI on any mobile platform, just works.

Pros:
4G, 4.3" Super AMOLED screen, fast clean ui, you can tether it through a work around

Cons:
requires a work around to tether.

I went from a 3GS -> Samsung Focus (slower / smaller than the Focus S) and I have 0 regrets.

Samsung Focus S(windows phone 7.5) , does everything you asked for, has possibly the fastest / most responsive UI on any mobile platform, just works.

Pros:
4G, 4.3" Super AMOLED screen, fast clean ui, you can tether it through a work around

Cons:

I went from a 3GS -> Samsung Focus (slower / smaller than the Focus S) and I have 0 regrets.

Not 4G though. I need that in my new phone.

Not 4G though. I need that in my new phone.

I thought that too until I got a 4G capable phone.... now I keep the 4G radio off 99% of the time due to battery consumption. Early on I bought a Seido extended battery, but then after a month I realized how retarded it was to double the size of my phone simply so I could keep the 4G radio on. There are very few instances I can think of where a 100ms ping and 1-2Mb/sec connection are insufficient on my cell phone- both Tango and Netflix run fine on such a connection. I could be in the minority here, but I personally feel that having a 10+Mb/sec connection on your cell phone is overrated and is simply an epenis measurement tool. I suppose if you're tethering you might want a beefier connection, but then again, you're most likely violating your TOS unless you're paying for that usage.

I thought that too until I got a 4G capable phone.... now I keep the 4G radio off 99% of the time due to battery consumption. Early on I bought a Seido extended battery, but then after a month I realized how retarded it was to double the size of my phone simply so I could keep the 4G radio on. There are very few instances I can think of where a 100ms ping and 1-2Mb/sec connection are insufficient on my cell phone- both Tango and Netflix run fine on such a connection. I could be in the minority here, but I personally feel that having a 10+Mb/sec connection on your cell phone is overrated and is simply an epenis measurement tool. I suppose if you're tethering you might want a beefier connection, but then again, you're most likely violating your TOS unless you're paying for that usage.

At my workplace verizon usually switches to !X, let alone their 3G that tops out at 100kb on a good day. If I got 1Mb/sec that would be fine. I do not. My friend has a thunderbolt and gets 15+ Mb, so thats what I need.

At my workplace verizon usually switches to !X, let alone their 3G that tops out at 100kb on a good day. If I got 1Mb/sec that would be fine. I do not. My friend has a thunderbolt and gets 15+ Mb, so thats what I need.

Wow... 100kb/sec sucks hardcore- that's worse than Sprint!

The more I keep hearing about the Nexus, the more I care less about it.

The main use for my cellphone is work and social. I don't spend hours with custom roms tweaking every bit of the phone. I don't even play any games.

Stupid requirement, but I want my next phone to have the best camera quality. I thought the Nexus would be the android to finally compete with the iPhone in that category. After viewing recent samples...the iPhone is still king.

What's really holding me back is lack of 4g, 3.5 screen (Dinc is 3.5 so I'm used to it), tethering, and lack of widgets.

Those negatives are compelling, but I have two friends who were hardcore Android users until they went with the 4S. I hear nothing but praise from them. They don't miss any of those features one bit.

Ahhh what to do?

*UPDATE*

OK...so I ended up buying the 4S.

I was in the Apple store having my macbook looked at (one of the updates fucked up my WIFI) when the Genius started talking to me about the iPhone. After I finished up with the Genius, a salesperson walked me over to the iPhone. She also happened to be a long time android user who switched to the iPhone. Long story short, I walked out with a new 4S.

What I like so far:
-Battery life
-Camera
-Overall smoothness of iOS 5.
-Apps seem to be a lot more polished than their Android counterparts. Google really should take notes here and set some standards. Even Google Voice looks better.
-iCloud and general connectivity with my Macbook Pro (yes, I use Itunes willingly).
-Siri.

The bad:
-The screen. I thought I could get used to it, but I'm struggling with my massive hands. This is mainly a problem during web browsing. I have to really zoom in to lets say...turn a page on this exact thread.
-No widgets. I knew I would be giving this up, but you really don't appreciate them until they are gone.
-No back, menu, or search button. I never really thought about this before purchasing the iPhone. You wouldn't believe how clumsy it is to navigate without these buttons.
-No autoformatting for web pages. When I double tap to zoom on my Dinc, the page automatically formats itself to fit. This doesn't happen in Safari. I used to browse perfectly fine with one hand, now I have to use two to pinch zoom things correctly. This is incredibly annoying.

I'll be giving the phone another week...but most likely I'll be returning for the Nexus.

Well, I was gonna suggest you give me $300 to punch you in the nuts and yell "Don't buy the fucking 4s!!" Guess it's too late now.

Pros:

Cons:

Can't second the Focus (any of the 3 models) enough. I've had the Focus and the Focus Flash, gonna see if AT&T will let me return the flash for a $.01 Focus S, now that they went on sale less than 2 weeks after I got the Flash.

I came from an iphone 3G and I'm WP7 for life now. The Flash and S should have tethering built in, I know the Flash does.

The Flash and S are both on AT&T's HSPA+ "4G", but not LTE unfortunately...

I ended up returning the damn thing. iOS just isn't for me.

I picked up a Rezound for $49 @ Costco (90 day exchange policy!). Can't beat that.

Shame. I was gonna suggest Nokia's WP7 handsets, particularly the Lumia 800. Though admittedly there are a few battery issues that plagueing it but Nokia already acknowledged the issue and promised 2 upcoming updates to solve it.

do you qualify for the free phones from Amazon? The deal ends on Monday.

Current Verizon customer :(

Shame. I was gonna suggest Nokia's WP7 handsets, particularly the Lumia 800. Though admittedly there are a few battery issues that plagueing it but Nokia already acknowledged the issue and promised 2 upcoming updates to solve it.

I'm only paying $40 a month on Verizon (family line). I'll never switch to another carrier as long as I have unlimited data.

I actually miss my iPhone 4 some days- it always "just worked" which pretty much is what it was designed to do. As long as you stayed within the box Apple created, the iPhone 4 could serve all your needs- if you wanted to go outside that box for whatever reason... you're SOL. I switched from my iPhone 4 to an Android phone partly because I wanted to switch carriers (data over EDGE NEVER EVER worked for me... and it seems to be a common problem), but also to see what life was like in Android land. For the most part I like the Android experience, but in some respects, the constant ROM swapping looking for an AOSP ROM that actually works correctly (while searching for kernels that don't result in random reboots, non-functional 4G, etc)... I really REALLY don't miss that from my WinMo days. It's in my nature to resent and rebel against constraints that are placed upon me, so having a phone that did this really went against who I am.... although in retrospect, the "box" created by Apple really did meet 95%+ of my needs. Just today I was trying to show some friends my recent da Vinci robot adventures, and halfway through my video, my phone locked up forcing me to pull the battery... ugh. Again... I miss having a device that "just worked", and being a busy person, I have a lot less time these days to ROM (and kernel) hunt... So what will my next phone be? Probably a Nexus Prime- if i'm going to stay in Android-land, it's going to be on Android.... not on some bootloader-locked device loaded with bloat/crap designed to make the android experience be what the manufacturer thinks it should be like....

I hear what you're saying here, but I could also make a counter argument that most Android phones also "just work" as long as you stay within their respective "boxes". In other words, leave whatever Android version came with your phone alone and take the OTA update if/when you get it. Of course, I know this goes totally against the spirit of many (most) Android users but I'm just sayin. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to root and ROM swap over and over again. In most cases the stock ROM and configuration works just fine in terms of basic functionality and getting what you need done.

This relates to the original question in that both the Android and iOS platforms offer viable off the shelf configurations that work fine. Both can be manipulated away from the stock version through rooting, jailbreaking, etc. Just a matter of personal preference which one you like better;)

I also have the iPhone 4S. My main gripe with it is the screen size I think if it were 4 inches it would be perfect.

Just picked up the Amaze 4g from T-Mobile and I am very impressed with the hardware, build quality and the Sense UI, HTC just did a great job IMO. And it might just have the best camera on a mobile phone currently. And it should get ICS in the 1st quarter of next year.

Back