Stop me from buying a iPhone 4S...

Mikerocks2112

Limp Gawd
The more I keep hearing about the Nexus, the more I care less about it.

The main use for my cellphone is work and social. I don't spend hours with custom roms tweaking every bit of the phone. I don't even play any games.

Stupid requirement, but I want my next phone to have the best camera quality. I thought the Nexus would be the android to finally compete with the iPhone in that category. After viewing recent samples...the iPhone is still king.

What's really holding me back is lack of 4g, 3.5 screen (Dinc is 3.5 so I'm used to it), tethering, and lack of widgets.

Those negatives are compelling, but I have two friends who were hardcore Android users until they went with the 4S. I hear nothing but praise from them. They don't miss any of those features one bit.

Ahhh what to do?

*UPDATE*

OK...so I ended up buying the 4S.

I was in the Apple store having my macbook looked at (one of the updates fucked up my WIFI) when the Genius started talking to me about the iPhone. After I finished up with the Genius, a salesperson walked me over to the iPhone. She also happened to be a long time android user who switched to the iPhone. Long story short, I walked out with a new 4S.

What I like so far:
-Battery life
-Camera
-Overall smoothness of iOS 5.
-Apps seem to be a lot more polished than their Android counterparts. Google really should take notes here and set some standards. Even Google Voice looks better.
-iCloud and general connectivity with my Macbook Pro (yes, I use Itunes willingly).
-Siri.

The bad:
-The screen. I thought I could get used to it, but I'm struggling with my massive hands. This is mainly a problem during web browsing. I have to really zoom in to lets say...turn a page on this exact thread.
-No widgets. I knew I would be giving this up, but you really don't appreciate them until they are gone.
-No back, menu, or search button. I never really thought about this before purchasing the iPhone. You wouldn't believe how clumsy it is to navigate without these buttons.
-No autoformatting for web pages. When I double tap to zoom on my Dinc, the page automatically formats itself to fit. This doesn't happen in Safari. I used to browse perfectly fine with one hand, now I have to use two to pinch zoom things correctly. This is incredibly annoying.

I'll be giving the phone another week...but most likely I'll be returning for the Nexus.

Last edited:
The more I keep hearing about the Nexus, the more I care less about it.

The main use for my cellphone is work and social. I don't spend hours with custom roms tweaking every bit of the phone. I don't even play any games.

Stupid requirement, but I want my next phone to have the best camera quality. I thought the Nexus would be the android to finally compete with the iPhone in that category. After viewing recent samples...the iPhone is still king.

What's really holding me back is lack of 4g, 3.5 screen (Dinc is 3.5 so I'm used to it), tethering, and lack of widgets.

Those negatives are compelling, but I have two friends who were hardcore Android users until they went with the 4S. I hear nothing but praise from them. They don't miss any of those features one bit.

Ahhh what to do?

The Dinc is 3.7" ;).

Dunno what to tell you.. if it suits your needs, why not get it? Put a case on it (blocking the logo, of course) if you're embarrassed to have it :p.

With the Nexus, you don't have to load up custom roms. You already have the best one!

Camera quality-wise, the Samsung Galaxy S II was ranked the best for placing a close second on picture quality (MyTouch #1) and best on videos.

I think you might want to get a Galaxy S II, and you will have to wait for ICS to get on it for the browser improvements. Samsung says by the end of the year, supposedly.

With the Nexus, you don't have to load up custom roms. You already have the best one!

Camera quality-wise, the Samsung Galaxy S II was ranked the best for placing a close second on picture quality (MyTouch #1) and best on videos.

I think you might want to get a Galaxy S II, and you will have to wait for ICS to get on it for the browser improvements. Samsung says by the end of the year, supposedly.

If the GSII was on Verizon we wouldn't be having this discussion lol.

Why stop you from buying a 4S? If you want it, get it.

Here's my opinion:

The 4S is the best phone for gaming performance wise but playing on a 3.5" screen = FAIL!
I love the design but it sucks if dropped....
Best camera quality? I don't think so, there's plenty of Android phones that are directly comparable or even better.
iOS looks boring and old to me
no true multitask?? WTF!
Why pay soo much for an iphone that can't even do everything an Android phone does and more??

If the GSII was on Verizon we wouldn't be having this discussion lol.
ah ha! well, you best switch carriers to Sprint and I will welcome you to the family! XD

But I think, by the time the Galaxy Nexus reaches Sprint, the Samsung Galaxy S3 or the HTC Edge will be right around the corner...

Only you can decide. Go into a store or borrow a friends and play with it, do the typical tasks. It's usually pretty simple for someone to decide between iPhone/Android/WP7 since they could not be more different.

Why stop you from buying a 4S? If you want it, get it.

Here's my opinion:

The 4S is the best phone for gaming performance wise but playing on a 3.5" screen = FAIL!
I love the design but it sucks if dropped....
Best camera quality? I don't think so, there's plenty of Android phones that are directly comparable or even better.
iOS looks boring and old to me
no true multitask?? WTF!
Why pay soo much for an iphone that can't even do everything an Android phone does and more??

Could you name me one on Verizon? My girlfriend just upgraded to the Droid Razr. I was hoping that would have a good camera, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm still not convinced the GNex has a 'bad' camera. I haven't found a good side-by-side comparison of IP4S vs. GNex yet, just lots of GSII vs. IP4(S) and a few GSII vs. GNex. And the GSII vs. IP4S seem to be mixed, if anything the (slight) nod going to the GSII more often than not.

I don't know what was up with the Verge not getting a proper focus with the GNex in low light. Maybe a fundamental misunderstanding of how continuous autofocus works (you can take a picture before you get a good focus)? Some were really poorly exposed though, too. Not sure what was going on there.

However there is this comparison: http://hemorrdroids.net/samsung-galaxy-nexus-vs-samsung-galaxy-sii-s2-camera-test/ While not exactly stealing the show, the GNex looks quite good. With fantastic exposures in the low light shots at the bottom. Noisier than I'd like, but we're still talking point-and-shoot at the very best, not DSLR.

edit: and if camera trumps all, I still haven't seen anything match the Nokia N8, sadly: http://thehandheldblog.com/2010/10/04/shootout-nokia-n8-v-canon-550d-dslr/

Last edited:
its not the size of the screen that counts....Its the resolution and the Iphone has a great resolution.

Though I'm holding out for a 720p phone though make surfing them Internets on your phone so hot.

ah ha! well, you best switch carriers to Sprint and I will welcome you to the family! XD

But I think, by the time the Galaxy Nexus reaches Sprint, the Samsung Galaxy S3 or the HTC Edge will be right around the corner...

I so would, but I'm only paying $40 a month on Verizon (apart of a family plan). I think Sprint's cheapest plan is $69.99 :(

Don't forget, a large screen is great - until you try to put the phone in your pocket!

I carry an htc sensation 4g in my pocket all the time. You can carry a 4+ inch phone in your pocket fine, unless you wear skinny jeans. If you wear skinny jeans you might as well complete the look and get the iPhone. :p

Don't forget, a large screen is great - until you try to put the phone in your pocket!

That isn't an issue unless you like to wear really tight jeans. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note, which has a 5.3" screen and it fits in all of my pockets (slacks, jeans, and cargo pants). So a 4.65" screen should be no problem, and the increased resolution is very nice.

its not the size of the screen that counts....Its the resolution and the Iphone has a great resolution.

Though I'm holding out for a 720p phone though make surfing them Internets on your phone so hot.

Although it makes for a sharper image, it doesn't really add anything to your experience I think. I much prefer a bigger screen over the smaller screen on the iPhone.

Its all personal needs/wants really.

Also, it seems like the OP really does want the iPhone, my biggest question is why do you want to be talked out of it?

if you think the iphone 4S is what you need, then get it .... only you have the knowledge of that.....i'd say dont get it since i personally wish they made a bigger screen....and well i wasnt a huge fan of my 2G iphone when i had it.....just personal preference i feel iPhone's are too cluttered ....cant be as clean as i like it.....

in the end, you want it get it, no one can make you change your mind...

So I stopped by the Verizon store and spent a good 10 minutes playing around with the iPhone. I definitely loved the camera, the polished OS, and screen. In the end I couldn't pull the trigger. The beautiful screen is way too damn small. No 4g, no NFC, and no Navigation are deal breakers.

/rejoins the Nexus waiting party.

I don't find 4.3inches from my Thunderbolt too big for jeans or even work slacks (khakis). It's all personal preference. I find my wife's Droid Incredible to be too small now even though I had an iPhone 3G in the past and replaced that piece of shit with a Droid.

If I could move to a Galaxy Nexus I'd do it in a heartbeat. I just don't think another .35 inches would make that big a deal.

Lack of 4G kills it for me. Maybe if I wasn't going to be stuck with it for 2 years, but at this point, if you live in an area with coverage, 4G is non-negotiable.

Comparing my usage (rooted Droid X) to what I would gain/lose on the iPhone (jailbroken of course), I could find only a couple of minor things I'd miss. TI-83 emulator app, TetherGPS, FTP server (swiFTP), and a couple of widgets I really don't care about losing. Google Voice would work just as well, navigation is fine, Siri fixes the iPhone's previous voice recognition deficiencies, and most apps are available (and often lead platform) on iPhone that are on android. Plus, there is the benefit of better battery life, exclusive niche apps, better games and often more refined / uniform UIs.

The lack of 4G breaks the deal. The lack of 720p / large screen puts a nail in the coffin.

Last edited:
I too wish a good Android phone would take on Apple with Camera Quality. Took till the Galaxy S 2 to beat the iPhone 4, and then the iPhone 4S just ups the ante again.

I too wish a good Android phone would take on Apple with Camera Quality. Took till the Galaxy S 2 to beat the iPhone 4, and then the iPhone 4S just ups the ante again.

From what camera comparisons I've seen, the Galaxy S2 is just as good, if not better than the 4S still. Even in low light conditions.

Another thing to consider is the resale value. I'm on the fence between a high end Android device and an iPhone 4S. You can be assured you'll get $350 for your iPhone 4S in a year's time, but don't expect anything close to that on even a new Android.

BUT... with Amazon's 1c sale, you can pick up almost any of the Android phones for a penny with new activation so it evens it out.

My main issue is battery life and screen size. I'm actually for a smaller screen size because I like to use the phone with one hand. I wouldn't want to go bigger than around 3.7" or maybe 4". The iPhone's 3.5" screen seems perfect to me for a phone.

Another thing to consider is the resale value. I'm on the fence between a high end Android device and an iPhone 4S. You can be assured you'll get $350 for your iPhone 4S in a year's time, but don't expect anything close to that on even a new Android.

BUT... with Amazon's 1c sale, you can pick up almost any of the Android phones for a penny with new activation so it evens it out.

My main issue is battery life and screen size. I'm actually for a smaller screen size because I like to use the phone with one hand. I wouldn't want to go bigger than around 3.7" or maybe 4". The iPhone's 3.5" screen seems perfect to me for a phone.

I agree. You know there's a teenager with rich parents just waiting to buy your 4S in a year's time. I'm worried the huge Androids will be like carrying around a small tablet. Also, I need a world phone on Verizon and the 4S fits the bill. The thing that's putting me off the 4S is the apparent fragility.

It might put you off, so buy a case and don't drop it. :p Every phone has something that you'll be apprehensive about, but it sounds like the 4S fits your needs perfectly. You're not going to get a better world phone on Verizon.

I guess you could keep an old phone and just switch phones when you go on trips.

Although it makes for a sharper image, it doesn't really add anything to your experience I think. I much prefer a bigger screen over the smaller screen on the iPhone.

Its all personal needs/wants really.

Also, it seems like the OP really does want the iPhone, my biggest question is why do you want to be talked out of it?

Before the iphone 4 Apple fans would tell you 480x320 resolution is more than enough, but now if you don't have "Retina Display" your phone is inferior.

I've been flirting with the idea of an iPhone 4S but for me the loss of google navigation is a huge deal. I actually use this regularly driving around Boston, and as anyone from this area knows the roads are a nightmare. I used to get lost all the time and now I always know where I'm going, thanks to my google nav. It's one feature I'm just not willing to give up, and I think it's smart of google to restrict this only to android phones. It's keeping me on board at least.

If you use iTunes a lot and you want the complete iTunes experience, including all the new iTunes cloud and match features, then I could see this being a good reason to get the iPhone. It's the one feature set that apple has truly locked in (similar to google nav on android phones). Everything else is pretty standard whether you go apple or android, and as others have said the lack of 4G and smaller screen size on the iPhone are pretty big downers.

Edit: iPhone 4S also has Siri which is exclusive. It's sexy but I can live without it.

I've been flirting with the idea of an iPhone 4S but for me the loss of google navigation is a huge deal. I actually use this regularly driving around Boston, and as anyone from this area knows the roads are a nightmare. I used to get lost all the time and now I always know where I'm going, thanks to my google nav. It's one feature I'm just not willing to give up, and I think it's smart of google to restrict this only to android phones. It's keeping me on board at least.

If you use iTunes a lot and you want the complete iTunes experience, including all the new iTunes cloud and match features, then I could see this being a good reason to get the iPhone. It's the one feature set that apple has truly locked in (similar to google nav on android phones). Everything else is pretty standard whether you go apple or android, and as others have said the lack of 4G and smaller screen size on the iPhone are pretty big downers.

Edit: iPhone 4S also has Siri which is exclusive. It's sexy but I can live without it.

I've never used it, but supposedly Waze is a great alternative to Google Nav.

I would be all over the 4s if it came with 4g and slightly bigger screen.

The point some of you made about resale value is pretty good. I could always sell the 4s for around $350 and buy the iPhone 5 a month or so after launch for around $500 (talking about the 16 gb). If I bought a Nexus and decided to flip that in a year, I'm sure I would only get around $200.

The point some of you made about resale value is pretty good. I could always sell the 4s for around $350 and buy the iPhone 5 a month or so after launch for around $500 (talking about the 16 gb). If I bought a Nexus and decided to flip that in a year, I'm sure I would only get around $200.

Yeah, unfortunately, that's how it works when there's a new flagship Android phone released every other month. It makes the older ones depreciate pretty fast :(. If you're a complete spec/gadget whore though, I suppose you could buy/sell your phone every few months to stay on top and not lose so much. But, unlike iPhones, I'd say it would be somewhat hard to get people to buy a newer used Android phone for $500+.

I used a Iphone 3gs for two years just switched to a Samsung Galaxy S2. Never been happier, I don't think I will ever buy another iphone after using this thing. So glad to get away from apples proprietary crap. Im freeee

I actually miss my iPhone 4 some days- it always "just worked" which pretty much is what it was designed to do. As long as you stayed within the box Apple created, the iPhone 4 could serve all your needs- if you wanted to go outside that box for whatever reason... you're SOL. I switched from my iPhone 4 to an Android phone partly because I wanted to switch carriers (data over EDGE NEVER EVER worked for me... and it seems to be a common problem), but also to see what life was like in Android land. For the most part I like the Android experience, but in some respects, the constant ROM swapping looking for an AOSP ROM that actually works correctly (while searching for kernels that don't result in random reboots, non-functional 4G, etc)... I really REALLY don't miss that from my WinMo days. It's in my nature to resent and rebel against constraints that are placed upon me, so having a phone that did this really went against who I am.... although in retrospect, the "box" created by Apple really did meet 95%+ of my needs. Just today I was trying to show some friends my recent da Vinci robot adventures, and halfway through my video, my phone locked up forcing me to pull the battery... ugh. Again... I miss having a device that "just worked", and being a busy person, I have a lot less time these days to ROM (and kernel) hunt... So what will my next phone be? Probably a Nexus Prime- if i'm going to stay in Android-land, it's going to be on Android.... not on some bootloader-locked device loaded with bloat/crap designed to make the android experience be what the manufacturer thinks it should be like....

I actually miss my iPhone 4 some days- it always "just worked" which pretty much is what it was designed to do. As long as you stayed within the box Apple created, the iPhone 4 could serve all your needs- if you wanted to go outside that box for whatever reason... you're SOL. I switched from my iPhone 4 to an Android phone partly because I wanted to switch carriers (data over EDGE NEVER EVER worked for me... and it seems to be a common problem), but also to see what life was like in Android land. For the most part I like the Android experience, but in some respects, the constant ROM swapping looking for an AOSP ROM that actually works correctly (while searching for kernels that don't result in random reboots, non-functional 4G, etc)... I really REALLY don't miss that from my WinMo days. It's in my nature to resent and rebel against constraints that are placed upon me, so having a phone that did this really went against who I am.... although in retrospect, the "box" created by Apple really did meet 95%+ of my needs. Just today I was trying to show some friends my recent da Vinci robot adventures, and halfway through my video, my phone locked up forcing me to pull the battery... ugh. Again... I miss having a device that "just worked", and being a busy person, I have a lot less time these days to ROM (and kernel) hunt... So what will my next phone be? Probably a Nexus Prime- if i'm going to stay in Android-land, it's going to be on Android.... not on some bootloader-locked device loaded with bloat/crap designed to make the android experience be what the manufacturer thinks it should be like....

That's why I dithced Android, too much ROM testing an kernel swapping, lock ups, force closes, etc. Been with WP7.5 for a few weeks and it does 95% of what i need.

Doesn't Jailbreaking the iPhone give you that "customization" experience?
This whole ROM kernal talk makes my head hurt!

Doesn't Jailbreaking the iPhone give you that "customization" experience?
This whole ROM kernal talk makes my head hurt!

It does, and I did jailbreak although it's not like it added that much. Speaking only for the people I know, the main reason they jailbreak isn't to customize, but simply so they can run pirated apps... no, i'm not talking Cydia. To me this seems like a poor reason to jailbreak- screwing someone out of $.99 when you have more than enough cash... weak sauce.

It's all on you, any decision you will make will be your decision, that means it will be the best way for you. I should personally go with 4S, but it doesn't matter. Do whatever you feel is the best for you. Many times the thing we most think about isn't good and the best is what we thinked about the first... For me should it be iphone.

Quick question, are you able to go to an Apple store and buy a 4s ?
Im flying to the US on december 9th, wont have a steady place for a few weeks and wanted to buy it right away

Quick question, are you able to go to an Apple store and buy a 4s ?
Im flying to the US on december 9th, wont have a steady place for a few weeks and wanted to buy it right away

Yes I believe the Apple store usually sells Apple products.

OK...so I ended up buying the 4S.

I was in the Apple store having my macbook looked at (one of the updates fucked up my WIFI) when the Genius started talking to me about the iPhone. After I finished up with the Genius, a salesperson walked me over to the iPhone. She also happened to be a long time android user who switched to the iPhone. Long story short, I walked out with a new 4S.

What I like so far:
-Battery life
-Camera
-Overall smoothness of iOS 5.
-Apps seem to be a lot more polished than their Android counterparts. Google really should take notes here and set some standards. Even Google Voice looks better.
-iCloud and general connectivity with my Macbook Pro (yes, I use Itunes willingly).
-Siri.

The bad:
-The screen. I thought I could get used to it, but I'm struggling with my massive hands. This is mainly a problem during web browsing. I have to really zoom in to lets say...turn a page on this exact thread.
-No widgets. I knew I would be giving this up, but you really don't appreciate them until they are gone.
-No back, menu, or search button. I never really thought about this before purchasing the iPhone. You wouldn't believe how clumsy it is to navigate without these buttons.
-No autoformatting for web pages. When I double tap to zoom on my Dinc, the page automatically formats itself to fit. This doesn't happen in Safari. I used to browse perfectly fine with one hand, now I have to use two to pinch zoom things correctly. This is incredibly annoying.

I'll be giving the phone another week...but most likely I'll be returning for the Nexus.

Last edited:
Back