Stop Code giving BSOD

Old_Way

Gawd
Last night I went to turn on my computer and got a BSOD and stop code.....

Stop: 0x0000007e (0xc000001d, 0x80900512, 0xf78d66c4, 0xf78d63c4)

It happens right when it starts loading drivers from /system32/system, so it never gets close to actually booting up and there's no way to get into safe mode to debug anything. The only thing I can actually boot into is the BIOS. I grabbed my XP Pro disk and tried to boot from it so I could do a repair. It doesn't go far enough into the CD bootup to get to the repair option before hitting the BSOD and giving that stop code.

I'm guessing it's a bad memory module or motherboard problem. I can probably check for a bad RAM stick by testing my system with only 1 stick in at a time, but then what about the motherboard... or maybe it's a video card problem?

Anyone got any ideas on a specific culprit for this problem? I reset all my BIOS parameters back to default, so nothing is overclocked anymore. I'm running an Antec True Power II 550 watt PS, that's never been a problem.

I figure if it's a new motherboard or memory that I need, it may end up being time for a system upgrade.

I turned on the 'run bootup checks' option last night in BIOS (no fast bootups) and it ran through the standard memory check saying everything was ok. The A8N32 doesn't have memtest built into the BIOS though. When I get home this afternoon, I'll first try booting using one RAM stick at a time. Then I'll try and find an old boot disk that I can run memtest from.

It won't currently boot to the XP CD or the HD, so it makes doing anything a challenge. I can't run anything to maybe fix it because I can't get to an operating system.

If you google search for "Stop: 0x0000007e errors" it comes up with an aweful lot of possibilities... this could be a loooong weekend.

Well, loaded up that bootable memtest CD and ran it... one solid wall of FAIL on the memory. Luckily Fry's is running a sale on 2 x 1gig Kingston HyperX PC3200 for $160 right now.

Used one of the new Kingston to test my other memory with and proved up that only one Corsair was bad. Once I put in the new memory, it booted up like a charm.

So now I have an extra 1gig stick of Corsair to use in my kids machine.

Thanks to those that posted!

BTW, for those who care, the bugcheck was System_thread_exception_not_handled, and the code was Status_Illegal_instruction. Bad memory is a good explanation how that happens... ;)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back