Stop being ‘so busy’: The psychology behind why being lazy is actually good for your brain

erek

[H]F Junkie
A productivity mindset isn’t always healthy

"Hardly anything saps our productivity more than an anxious mind. Now more than ever, we need idleness and the calmness that it brings.

So stop being so busy and allow your brain to do nothing. Stop obsessing over the news. Forget about the value of your time. Detach yourself from the productivity mindset.

Wait for your mind to tell you what it needs, rather than what it craves. After a certain amount of time, you’ll find that your brain has slowed. Then, go take that walk. Watch some Netflix. Listen to some music. Soak in a warm bath.

It might just be one of the most productive things you’ll do today."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/19/sto...ing-lazy-is-actually-good-for-your-brain.html

Taking a walk? Lazy? What fucking amateur penned THIS bullshit.....I consider myself a professional and I can barely be bothered to type the keys to leave this response

(final period left off sentence to prove my poi

Taking a walk? Lazy? What *bleeping* amateur penned THIS *bloop*.....I consider myself a professional and I can barely be bothered to type the keys to leave this response

(final period left off sentence to prove my poi
hah

I hate lazy and am back to work next week. Yes, work and personal life are completely separate and I am not bored but......

I can see keeping busy, but it is nice to read a book or listen to relaxing music every now and then. (Or do something not involving stress of any sort) Seen younger people who never seem to relax and they end up nervous wrecks.

I can see keeping busy, but it is nice to read a book or listen to relaxing music every now and then. (Or do something not involving stress of any sort) Seen younger people who never seem to relax and they end up nervous wrecks.

Keeping Busy is going to be relative.......I have a family member who schedules her time, including her down time, her vacations, etc....and gets angry/frustrated when she can't stick to her plan. She then gets pissed at the rest of us if we are the ones who force her off her schedule. We don't hang much. :p

I agree there's a huge anxiety problem today.....

There is a form of laziness that compels people to find efficient ways to do things.

Without lazy people, we wouldn't have cars or elevators or tractors, etc...

Taking time to productively reflect on the day (without anguishing) is good for the soul.
Mindless tasks like gardening, vacuuming, ... make this easy while keeping active, doing something useful and being happy with the result.
A good alternative to the lazy approach ;)
If I dont get a little free time to think I sometimes find it difficult to sleep until I have sunk things into the right pigeon holes.

I reckon this is why gardening is so good for well being.

Tell that to a smart phone addict it really is an addiction. I bought two desensitizing books one is called Cyber junkie the other is The power of off after I read them I pick up my smart phone and start death scrolling like everyone else =) It takes ot of will power and some hobbies to keep you distanced.

Quite the article to go with all our free stimulus money. Let's all be lazy and justify it! :rolleyes:

Psychological addictions involve going cold turkey.......you can be addicted to anything, but only some substances have physical manifestations. Weed makes you anxious and irritable when you stop, depressed, etc......but Heroin and Alcohol withdrawal can actually kill you so you can't cold turkey those, cell phones are purely psychological, afraid you're a loser missing out on all the exciting things happening in the world (accept that You Are, and, you are...but that everyone else is too, its just how hard they try to posture to prove to the rest of the world they aren't.) Its all bullshit.

Smart Phones are like anything else, you can be addicted to potato chips, or biting your nails.......or being overweight (or underweight), or going to the gym. People were designed to behave compulsively.........

IDK I feel like this article is kind of backwards.... being lazy and doing nothing all the time is way worse than being productive. doing jack shit all the time leads to depression....

Back