Stolen XFX 5970 4 GB Limited edition

just got that email... it's got to be the sweetest box ever for a graphics card. Don't try to carry it into airports though.

Heh, was just coming here to post this....just got it also....

in light of recent events, we have come to suspect that one of our 5970 Black Edition Limited cards may have been compromised. In our current inventory check of this limited run of 1,000 individually serialized pieces, #68 has been unaccounted for. Due to evidence of a security breach in our facility, we believe it to have been illegally obtained as the product has yet been released per the embargo date. Please be aware that the person responsible will be subject to persecution by law. If any news can be provided to lead us to the apprehension of the suspect, or you can provide us with any information, please report it to [email protected]. Please do not attempt to buy, trade, or barter for this unit. We thank you for your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,
XFX

Awesome marketing right there!!!

Can't wait to see the price on these cards. Must be coming out before the end of next week right?

They took this from the Stolen Iphone trick... free marketing.

Hey guys...

I've been waiting to get validated so I could post... In any case, I've been doing a little digging ever since I got the e-mail.

Anyway, here's what I have

There's two videos posted so far:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dWziA_u5OU
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJtgg-qeeEA

If you go to the person who posted the video's page (http://www.youtube.com/user/robbyyung) you will see some comments:

robbyyung (2 days ago)
Gamertag:  Demon0fTheFaII
(2 capital "ii"s)

I went on E-bay to see if there was anyone selling an unauthorized 5970. Look what I saw:
http://cgi.ebay.com/XFX-HD-5970-Bla...tem&pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item1c11ec7754

The seller: demon0fthefaii (ha!)

Did a search on the gametag... it's apparently real: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameguid=6417388510789340015

That's all I have so far... no idea where it'll lead, but hopefully some peeps good at these viral marketing / reality games thing can help dig around.

Aloha, Sean

P.S. Been a long time lurker here, cool to finally post something. hehe

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I doubt it's going to be a $1000. To spend a $1000 on a video card, regardless of how rich you are...is still stupid right? This thing better be able to cook and clean for that kinda cash. $1000 is definitely close to mail order bride costs...I saw.

I doubt it's going to be a $1000. To spend a $1000 on a video card, regardless of how rich you are...is still stupid right? This thing better be able to cook and clean for that kinda cash. $1000 is definitely close to mail order bride costs...I saw.

Not at all if it has performance, my GPU setups for my rigs that last five years have ranges between $1200 to almost $2000. Not that big of a deal. I actually got the email warning as well since all my GPUs have been XFX for the last four years until the 480s.

LoL I just bid on it! Now where is the mail order bride? I might bid on her too! ;)

I guess they will sell it for $850. I think if you spend that much on a video card right now...it's a bit insane. A lot of games are console ports, so to spend that kind of cash to play console ports seems absurd to me, when a $200 card will provide good gameplay?

Last edited:
I guess they will sell it for $850. I think if you spend that much on a video card right now...it's a bit insane. A lot of games are console ports, so to spend that kind of cash to play console ports seems absurd to me, when a $200 card will provide good gameplay?

I hope for your own health you never google "Asus MARS video card"

then you will think PC gamers are REALLY crazy.

the point is: if you build it, people will buy it.

Lets assume you make over 100,000$ a year, just for a moment. Suddenly, 1000$ of graphics cards every 2 years totals out to 0.5% of your gross salary. To run your choice of either 3x24" screens or a single 30" screen. So for .5% of your salary you can go from seeing bad frame rates in 720p to insanity in 1600p. That's a mere 444% more pixels, oh and AA, and better frame rates, and a better input device.

So yes, to you it may seem absurd. Oh, all that can be had for a 50$ a month payment spread out over 2 years. Or you could spend the money on 1 night of semi-decent drinking at a bar, or you could almost take 4 people to the moives (you couldn't take 4 people to a sit down dinner) one more time a month.

It may look like a big number, but it isn't.

A black edition XFX 5970 sells for $720 right now on Newegg. I assume this will be $150-200 more AT LEAST. You are looking at right around $1000 I bet.

@ vengence:

I don't know, if this was a video card used for professional use, I wouldn't complain. But for gaming alone...I just can't see how it would be worth it considering the games that are out for pc. Realistically a 5850 will last a person a few years, and provide an outstanding experience. The whole future proof argument to justify a 1000 video card is invalid considering games are specifically made to be playable on a ps3, and xbox 360 to begin with.

From what we know , there will be 3000 total 5970 4GB cards (1000 each from three manufacturers)

I have no idea what they will sell for, but $1000 seems like a low guess to me. Even if MSRP is $900 or $999, there will be a lot of people wanting two of them and only 3000 to go around worldwide

I hear rubber gloves snapping at XFX tonight... "MOON RIVER...whew.. using the whole fist, Doc??" ;) lmao

if only this was real.. clever marketing tho..

@ vengence:

I don't know, if this was a video card used for professional use, I wouldn't complain. But for gaming alone...I just can't see how it would be worth it considering the games that are out for pc. Realistically a 5850 will last a person a few years, and provide an outstanding experience. The whole future proof argument to justify a 1000 video card is invalid considering games are specifically made to be playable on a ps3, and xbox 360 to begin with.

Not this again :(

I don't mean to single you out, but even ported to PC games run at much higher resolutions, much larger textures, often higher polys, and loads more pre and postprocessing. This is ignoring all the exclusives like the STALKER series, Blizzard games, and RTS.

For example, I've been playing Metro 2033 in Dx11, very high settings, 4xmsAA, DoF OFF, tesselation ON (sometimes, big areas with many people start to lag me, so I turn it off in those situations). My friend just got the game for the x360, he has a nice 120hz 1080p LCD. To show him the difference, I plugged in my PC to his TV...He was actually a little bit angry that the game looked so much better than his experience.

Now, if I were running 3 screen eyefinity, or a 30'' @ 2560x1600, I'm pretty sure my 5850 would not cut it at all.

Some folks just have extra money, and they like to have the best experience possible. I can't fault anyone for that.

@ vengence:

5850 isn't gonna do it for 30" monitors (or above), much less AA. And the whole "games are only made for ps3 and xbox 360 argument is bullshit.

Not this again :(

I don't mean to single you out, but even ported to PC games run at much higher resolutions, much larger textures, often higher polys, and loads more pre and postprocessing. This is ignoring all the exclusives like the STALKER series, Blizzard games, and RTS.

For example, I've been playing Metro 2033 in Dx11, very high settings, 4xmsAA, DoF OFF, tesselation ON (sometimes, big areas with many people start to lag me, so I turn it off in those situations). My friend just got the game for the x360, he has a nice 120hz 1080p LCD. To show him the difference, I plugged in my PC to his TV...He was actually a little bit angry that the game looked so much better than his experience.

Now, if I were running 3 screen eyefinity, or a 30'' @ 2560x1600, I'm pretty sure my 5850 would not cut it at all.

Some folks just have extra money, and they like to have the best experience possible. I can't fault anyone for that.

If you were running 3 screen eyeinfinity at 2560x1600, you would be a rare case. So good point. If you just use one monitor, I'd say 5850 is well more than enough, and should last you a few years.

The price will be expensive for these limited cards because they need to raise the money for the casualities! Think about their families! lol

Hey guys...

I've been waiting to get validated so I could post... In any case, I've been doing a little digging ever since I got the e-mail.

Anyway, here's what I have

There's two videos posted so far:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dWziA_u5OU
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJtgg-qeeEA

If you go to the person who posted the video's page (http://www.youtube.com/user/robbyyung) you will see some comments:

robbyyung (2 days ago)
Gamertag:  Demon0fTheFaII
(2 capital "ii"s)

I went on E-bay to see if there was anyone selling an unauthorized 5970. Look what I saw:
http://cgi.ebay.com/XFX-HD-5970-Bla...tem&pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item1c11ec7754

The seller: demon0fthefaii (ha!)

Did a search on the gametag... it's apparently real: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameguid=6417388510789340015

That's all I have so far... no idea where it'll lead, but hopefully some peeps good at these viral marketing / reality games thing can help dig around.

Aloha, Sean

P.S. Been a long time lurker here, cool to finally post something. hehe

Check his FaceBook page ... where he's a fan of the XFX Girl ... and he's an aspiring film maker ... so ... sounds like XFX hired Robby to do the virul campaign for the 5970

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would like one. That 4gb would be nice for Eyefinity.

If it's 850 then it costs about the same as two 470's, and you get 1.5gigs more, less heat, and only takes up one slot.

Someone sport me some cash? :D

is it really that insane.. considering the fact that people have spent 1000+ dollars for SLI GTX 480's.. so if you do the math.. say 2 5870 2GB 6DP cards cost what 500-550 dollars? you buy a single card with the exact same numbers and performance with the same exact features for 1000 dollars? is that really insane? look at the big picture here people.. do a little math and you would realize a grand for a 5970 with 4GB ram and 6 displayports is a great deal.. they could charge far more for the card if they wanted..

Back