Stock clock can't make it through 5 minutes of prime95/ or intel burn test.

JagVR4

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I just put together my new rig and now I am having some problems. I put everything together one time with a Coolermaster HyperN 520 HSF the first time but it wouldn't fit my case. I ordered another Coolermaster (Gemini IIs) and reinstalled everything and now I am having issues.

I am using Windows 7 RC1 and before had no issues but now if I start to load up items such as Media Center I get a blue screen after a minute. Furthermore the comp wont make it through ~5 minutes of prime95 (blue screens) or intel burn test(fails and tells me to obtain better cooling or lower clock). This is all at stock clock speeds! Any ideas on if this would be the memory, CPU, or possible the motherboard at fault?

System specs as follows:
Intel Q6600 G0
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
G.Skill 1066mhz DDR2 memory
EVGA GTX 275

Temps (from Realtemp) are ~33 idle on one set of cores and 32 idle on the other two cores, ~58 to ~60 on load on two cores and ~49 to ~51 on the other two cores. For some reason two of my cores are ~10c higher than the other two, this persist even with reapplication of MX-2.

Make sure all of your RAM timings are set correctly and that your RAM voltage is set to manufacturer's spec.

Undervolting your RAM or running the timings too tight can cause you to blue screen during Prime95.

You might want to even try running memtest86+ for ~8hours before running Prime95 again. If your RAM is faulty then you will also fail Prime95.

If your RAM passes memtest86+ for about ~8 hours with the correct timings, memory strap (multiplier), and voltage, then you can start looking at your CPU voltage, but I doubt its the CPU since you're running it at stock speeds.

Download, burn ISO to CD, boot from CD: http://www.memtest.org/

the temp differences are normal on the core 2's.. since its basicly 2 dual cores slapped on a single chip/die..

i also agree with the ram timing/voltage.. the g-skill 1066 ram has to be at 2.1v when running ddr2 1066.. it will not run stable at any other voltage..

if you want to check specific parts.. run the small FFT's on prime 95.. that will only test the cpu and not really touch the ram.. see if its stable for a while.. then run blend or large FFT's and see what happens.. if it fails then.. then your problem has something to do with the ram..

also check your temps on your northbridge.. since that also has your memory controller in it.. and see if its overheating..

First of all thanks for the quick replies! I am about to check the memory settings, I should also mention that I am blue screening running small FFT's. Hell the damn thing is blue screening (or just randomly restarting/freezing up) anytime I do something that requires load.

this is a completely new system right? or was it running fine before?

Completely new system other than the CPU which I bought used here off the forums, however it all seemed to be running fine before/no BSOD's. Only thing I did which was admittedly retarded was bump the the FSB to ~338 with a 9x multiplier when I reinstalled thinking I could pull an easy 3.0 ghz. The computer wouldn't post (kept restarting every second) so I reset the CMOS and all was good. Not sure if that would have done anything to the CPU though (although all of the settings for voltage and what not were set to auto so I guess the mobo could have bumped up everything in relation and possible damaged the chip? Hard to say....)

doubt it..

id say.. go into the bios and change it to optimized default.. and boot up and see what happens..

sirmonkey, you rock. The voltage was set to 1.80v and upping to 2.1v seems to have stabilized everything, now passing intel burn test no problems and no blue screens to be seen! I am going to keep prime going to tonight and see how she fairs. Not sure why everything was ok the first time around but this seems to have fixed the issues that cropped up.

Thanks again for your help!

On a side note, what mobo temps are considered optimal? Mine are at ~43c with the case on and with the cover off and a large fan blowing into the case I can only get them down to ~35c.

those temps are good.. its not til you get in the high 50-60C range you want to worry about them..

On a side note, what mobo temps are considered optimal? Mine are at ~43c with the case on and with the cover off and a large fan blowing into the case I can only get them down to ~35c.

Are we talking about the northbridge temp sensor? That is about the same temp mine runs. A large video card heats it up more too.

Back