Still worth it to go with a Socket 939?

Hexus0

Gawd
Hey everyone, well I'm looking to build a computer for a family friend, and he wants a gaming rig. I've noticed the pricest have dropped like crazy, $233 for a 3700+ is a really good deal (seeing that I spent ~$190 on a 3200+). The only thing is, I'm wondering if its still worth it go with Socket 939? I know that M2 is comming out soon, and he said he'd rather wait another month or so if its worth it. I understand that M2 is going to be using DDR2 instead of DDR, and might be a better choice for being able to upgrade in the future..

Q2 06 is the tentative release date. Plus, it sucks to play the waiting game. I'd go for the 939 right now.

I think it would be better to buy a good, fast, and stable board now rather than an expensive (and possibly unstable) new board based on a new socket in a few months.

take it from me: you're not going to see AM2 for a while. While an end of Q1 release might be in the cards (from what i've been told), availability will be nil before the end of Q2.

dave

Go with 939 now and let M2 mature. I don't play the waiting game because something bigger and better is always coming out.

Back