Still want to charge your phone while you sleep?

Supersnake

[H]ard|Gawd
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Liveleak sourced this video from TV.Sohu.com and titled it "Phone Blows Up After Charging For 11 Minutes".

Still want to charge your phone while you sleep?

Last edited:
I stopped charging my phone overnight just to save on battery wear and try to keep my charge under 80% most of the time. But these things are inevitable with Li-Po/ion batteries being put in everything and sometimes manufactured/QC'd improperly. Not really a concern from reputable phone brands, esp. Samsung after the Note 7 fiasco where only like .01% of devices were affected in the first place. But that's certainly not to say it doesn't sell happen on reputable phone OEMs, just buy a negligible margin and it's pretty much impossible to outright eliminate.

Several years ago, an electric shaver flared up while recharging in my bathroom. It was a Sunday afternoon while I was home. I quickly smothered it with baking soda, but since that day I never recharge anything overnight.

Interesting that you mentioned that because I made it a point to not leave my house while my electric shaver is recharging and when I do recharge it I make sure there is nothing flammable within close proximity.

Makes me realize my toothbrush is always on its socket :eek: am I playing with life odds ?

I know my experience was unique. Still, I ain't taking no chances!!

You can't be too cautious I think... I charged a car battery using a DC power supply in constant current mode last weekend in my kitchen on the stove (under the fan), behind plexi while wearing sleeves, gloves and sunglasses lol. Better be safe than sorry.

Things that I leave plugged in:
- Nexus 6P
- Note 3
- Shaver for my face
- Shaver for my balls

Fancy that, hundreds of millions of devices made in China with cost downed or outright counterfeit components. Its a miracle they don't all blow up.

I used to leave a phone plugged in as a security camera. It sat plugged in and constantly running for over a year when I discovered that the battery had swollen so bad that broke the phone frame. Since then I'm careful about what's plugged in and for how long. I'm not too concerned about leaving a phone plugged in or on a wireless charger overnight.

I dunno, I've been leaving my phone to charge overnight for as long as I remember and have yet to have any adverse effects

Back