Still Using Windows XP, Vista? No Firefox 53 for You

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I imagine that few of you are still using ancient operating systems, so the actual news here is merely that Firefox 53 is out. It’s actually a pretty significant release: Mozilla has introduced their “Quantum Compositor,” which relies on your GPU to speed things up. The browser does feel faster to me, but it could be totally placebo. One other thing I noticed is that they finally included a dark theme, but it’s trash because the menus are still white/bright. A new version of Chrome is also rolling out, so be sure to update that guy too.

Firefox 53 includes one of the first elements of Mozilla's 'Project Quantum', which aims to take advantage of multi-core hardware and the wide availability of devices incorporating GPUs. The new Quantum Compositor promises to speed up Firefox and prevent graphics crashes on Windows by running the graphics compositor separate to the main Firefox process. The Quantum Compositor runs on the GPU instead of the CPU, which means it should go faster. And if the graphics compositor crashes, it won't bring down all of Firefox because it's a separate process. In testing, the Quantum Compositor reduced browser crashes by about 10 percent.

cooltext241079310563765.png

Oops... Wrong Thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
They're trying very hard to alienate as many people as possible. First they drop java support, then this. If their SJW attitude wasn't enough. Time to look for a new browser. And I'm not even using XP and Vista.

Who still actually "uses" Firefox? I gave up testing it's releases for viability as an alternative browser more than 10 years ago as Mozilla left the mainstream for the weeds. They couldn't make themselves faster, more reliant or more capable, than the competition and instead have appeared to do their best to kill off any chance at re-entering the race. Put a stake through its heart and call it good!

I don't trust google browsers in any form. FF is my only alt. Vivaldi seems nice but needs a lot of help with bookmarks and addons.

I don't trust google browsers in any form. FF is my only alt. Vivaldi seems nice but needs a lot of help with bookmarks and addons.

Yeah, I use Firefox almost exclusively, mostly out of habit than anything else. No need to change either.

I use everything and I mean all of them. Edge (for quick links from email), Chrome & Chrome Canary for testing compatibility, Firefox 64bit, Firefox Developer Edition, Firefox Nightly, Opera & Opera Developer Edition. Why?

I am into web design & development so for I have thousands of bookmarks to manage and hundreds of tabs plus I need to test compatibility.

All in all, I can't find anything that can handle the same amount of windows and tabs as Firefox, be stable and recover properly ALL my tabs after a crash. And I mean a lot of Tabs that is how I need to work (bookmarks alone don't cut it).

Yet, Firefox has the best development tools of all of them but that might be just my preference besides the "Copy CSS path" feature that all other browsers tools lack.

Back