Still on Sprint SERO? You can upgrade starting Oct 1 / $50 month Evo/Epic 4G!

Ocellaris

Fully [H]
If anyone is still using a Sprint SERO plan, starting October 1st you can now upgrade your phones. The new plans are called SERO Premium 500 and SERO Premium 1250 at $40 and $59 a month respectively. Both plans include unlimited mobile-mobile calls, unlimited text, and unlimited data and cover all non-4G devices. The Evo and Epic 4G will cost an extra $10 a month. I am super excited to ditch my old Windows Mobile phone and get something new :D More details here:

http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/EPRP2-modal.asp?vanity=false&popup=true

Background:

About 3 years ago, Sprint was offering an employee referral plan to anyone that wanted it. The VP of marketing put his referral information online and told people to go nuts. This let people get plans as low as $30 a month with 500 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data. The plan was killed in July of 2008. Sprint prevented people from upgrading to new WebOS, Android, and Blackberries devices, leaving everyone with a bunch of WinMo 6.x smart phones and some lucky people that managed to get Blackberry phones.

Unfortunately I'm on the Fair and Flexible 500, not the SERO Fair and Flexible 500, so apparently I CANNOT upgrade. No idea why. Super lame technicality.

Wait, so can I switch my current plan over, or would I have to pull the 30-day money back and start a new plan on the new system?

Wait, so can I switch my current plan over, or would I have to pull the 30-day money back and start a new plan on the new system?

what is your current plan? if you have a sero plan, you can upgrade the plan and get a new phone.

if you just got a new phone and plan this will not do anything for you, sorry.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yeah, I heard about this but glad it's confirmed since I still have my SERO plan... :D :cool:

so is anyone here planning on making the $10 or $20 upgrade on Oct 1st?

I might upgrade to one of the Samsung 3G Android phone right away. If not, then I can just sit around until Sprint has a replacement for the Hero or something else compelling comes along. My current phone blows, however it will feel good knowing that I can walk into the local Sprint store at any time and get a new phone on a $40/month contract.

I might upgrade to one of the Samsung 3G Android phone right away. If not, then I can just sit around until Sprint has a replacement for the Hero or something else compelling comes along. My current phone blows, however it will feel good knowing that I can walk into the local Sprint store at any time and get a new phone on a $40/month contract.

yeah that will be a good feeling :) I'll be in the same boat, wish the 4g was only $10 more tho, $40 sounds so much better than $50 :p

so is sero back for new customers, or just an upgrade available to existing?

I think it is only giving the option to use andriod and or 4g phones with the plan for existing peps, no new customers

I got a letter from Sprint last week regarding my Blackberry with free BIS on my SERO plan, stated that my account was setup in error, and that they are moving me to SERO Premium on my October Billing Period.
Any Mobile Anytime and Unlimited GPS Navigation are included in the $10 fee.

I switched to a Touch Pro 2 about a month ago so I don't know if they still will switch me to Premium or not.
I would prefer not to switch now and then switch in May when I upgrade to an Android phone since I don't even use half of my 500 minutes and a I have Google Voice so I basically have unlimited minutes.

I'd rather save that $70 and use that towards a new phone in May. I want the Epic, so I'll be paying $30+$10+$10, which isn't too bad.

so is sero back for new customers, or just an upgrade available to existing?

SERO is no longer offered, this is only for people who currently have the SERO plan.

I'll be in the same boat, wish the 4g was only $10 more tho, $40 sounds so much better than $50
:confused:

It is only $10 more. Your base plan changes to $40/mo if you upgrade to any of the new smartphones, and if you want a 4G device... it's $10 more from that. The TP2 is the most recent phone you can get without changing your plan.

Will I be able to renew my contract to get the phone for $349.99 ($249.99 AMIR) or do I have to purchase the phone without contract to use it on my SERO line?

I just returned my Samsung Epic to Radio Shack that I had opened a new line on. Employee there promised me 25% off, but after I bought the phone she told me it'd take 2 months to go through. That screwed me b/c I was going to cancel my SERO line had the discount been instant, which I thought was going to be since tha's what she told me originally. Now that I heard about this I said the hell with it b/c with my SERO line it'll be $10-$15 cheaper than the other line with the 25% discount.

Last edited:
Will I be able to renew my contract to get the phone for $349.99 ($249.99 AMIR) or do I have to purchase the phone without contract to use it on my SERO line?

I just returned my Samsung Epic to Radio Shack that I had opened a new line on. Employee there promised me 25% off, but after I bought the phone she told me it'd take 2 months to go through. That screwed me b/c I was going to cancel my SERO line had the discount been instant, which I thought was going to be since tha's what she told me originally. Now that I heard about this I said the hell with it b/c with my SERO line it'll be $10-$15 cheaper than the other line with the 25% discount.

Indications are that you would get the $249AR price and up your new SERO Premium contract for 2 years.

Since Sprint is trying to illustrate a turn around... they are kinda trapped... as if they forced everyone off sero...how many would simply switch to other providers? Since they are trying to show solid subscriber growth.(or at least a stem the tide)

The offer seems well timed. Sprint offers new interesting android phones... some of which are 4 g. So they stand to gain 10-20 monthly.(as well as a 2 year commitment) Consumers gain android and Mobile to Mobile...(I do not consider sprint nav to add much value)

The negatives Will they further sweeten the deal later or maybe let an unpopular phone or two on Classic sero plans.(Last year they offered 69.99 or 59.99 -20.00 for two years to upgrade for example)

Seems like a well timed fair deal to me. I am not sure why more users are not switching to sprint. A solid phone collection, reasonable prices and ability to use verizons network in a crunch seems very compelling to me.(Customer service seems solid as well which is increasingly rare of companies in general now a days) Sure you have some negatives, they might go under...4g roll out is going slower then expected...best phones have a Premium Data surcharge. Still overall they seem to offer the best value, yet they seemed trapped. Maybe they are caught between the low cost of prepaid and the premium image of the other providers.

gah, wish I still had it now, but I couldn't live with my Mogul any longer and they wouldn't let me/people get a newer phone than like Touch Pro (not 2) when I left for Verizon/Droid.

I had heard about this maybe heppning but my wife and I moved recently and ditched our landline. We were on the $30/mo 500mins plan x2. The 500mins wasn't enough for my wife w/o a landline and she had been going over.

We went with the EPRP http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/epclanding.asp login- "russ.s.mcguireATsprint.com" / "383" for $109.99 that gives 1600 shared minutes. So for $10 bucks less I could have gone on the 500 and she could have gone for the 1250...oh well.

Nice to seem them making an effort for the SERO folks though for sure.

Addy711- I could be wrong but putting that info out there might put that guy at risk? Maybe I am wrong.

No, he put it out there for that reason, you can find that info in a number of places- including his blog I believe.

thanks for the info and sorry about the mistake! I remember when the code was not necessary on the sero site and thought that someone's code might have been prtected info, Iwas wrong again :p

if you're going to sign up, can I ask you to use jordan(dot)forman(at)sprint(dot)com and 207? They're always having contests for the most referrals, and I wouldn't mind getting the free EVOs they gave out last month.

Yeah sorry Paul, I should have mentioned Russ' info was quite public and anyone could use it..I wish I knew to use your info Jordan to help out a fellow [H]'r

I actually just ended up calling and mentioning the EPRP program to the telesales person anyways.

I find this interesting, but Here's my question...

Is the data still truly unlimited? All new contracts, including the $100/month ones say "Unlimited*" and the * says there is a 4gb cap and more than that incurs "excessive usage" penalties and there are months I've used 10gb+ on my phone when my flaky DSL dies on me for a week at a time. SERO was the last plan with no data cap (non-PAM accounts, PAM accounts had the 4gb cap)

Phone accounts have no hard cap, but if ANYTHING you get a warning to cut it out. Data cards have a 5GB cap on 3G, then you get charged 5 cents per MB, up to $75 of overages.

Can you get the Epic (4G) and just not pay for 4G service? AFAIK there is _NO_ 4g covereage in my area short of Atlanta (2.5 hours away) so it's worthless to me...

On a related note anyone know anything about the Samsung Intercept? the price is better, but all the reviews say it's crap (but I know at least some of the reviews are ppl who are unfamiliar with smartphones and would have a bad experience whether Android, WM, BB, or WebOS)

With either the EVO or the Epic you must pay the $10 data surcharge, whether you live in a 4g area or not.

The intercept is shit. Expect an absolute TON of low to midrange android phones on Sprint leading up to and shortly after the holidays. I can count about 6 off the top of my head, with a lot more in the pipeline.

The intercept is shit. Expect an absolute TON of low to midrange android phones on Sprint leading up to and shortly after the holidays. I can count about 6 off the top of my head, with a lot more in the pipeline.

In other words dont even consider this deal (which only runs 10-1:10-31) and wait till next year and just buy a phone off ebay when a decent sprint android is released?

I just ordered my wife an Evo with the sprint everything plus referral pan with Russ's info. My plan is to call up sprint after receiving the phone, and changing to the new october 1st plan of $50/month.

Any reason why this shouldn't work?

I'm actually thinking of dumping my iPhone 4 and switching to sprint (buying another evo).

at $100/month for two evos with unlimited text/data, it sounds like a wonderful deal.

I just ordered my wife an Evo with the sprint everything plus referral pan with Russ's info. My plan is to call up sprint after receiving the phone, and changing to the new october 1st plan of $50/month.

Any reason why this shouldn't work?

I'm actually thinking of dumping my iPhone 4 and switching to sprint (buying another evo).

at $100/month for two evos with unlimited text/data, it sounds like a wonderful deal.

You need to already have a SERO plan to upgrade to a new SERO Premium plan. So if you already have 2 normal plans, you should be able to end up with two EVO 4gs for $100/month like you want.

For new customers and account, the Everything Plus Referral plan is the best offer.

So i'm limited to the everything plus referral plan of $59.99 each for $119.98 total per month?

So i'm limited to the everything plus referral plan of $59.99 each for $119.98 total per month?

Correct, the Everything Plus Referral is the best plan you can get as a new customer. The SERO Premium plans are for people that signed up for the original SERO plans back in 2007 and 2008 and have been prevented from upgrading phones (until now).

I was able to upgrade my account to sero premium using the online chat. it was painless and the rep knew what I was talking about. I have the full phone upgrade credit on my account so I am going to ponder phone choices for a bit before doing anything. I might get a pixi because it is free right now (no rebates either), then buy another phone when the htc hero replacement comes out.

I upgraded my on the phone (after a bad experience at my local sprint store where the woman *insisted* I would be dumped into a 79.99/mo plan if I upgraded to the Evo) and had no problems. I said I wanted to "take advantage of the offer for SERO users to upgrade to an Android phone" (from *2) and it went smoothly (though I want to know when my "unlimited data roaming" went to "300mb/month" --- apparently long before this upgrade) waiting to get my Evo on Tues

(THANKS OP! :))

hey this deal keeps getting better. for anyone who has not bought a new phone yet, you can email support and request a $70 credit by extending your contract for 2 more years. this does not reset your upgrade credit, so you can still get a new phone at the low price.

there is a thread on www.sprintusers.com and another one on slickdeals.net regarding this.

I emailed them for the $70, so hopefully I'll get it. If they don't give it to me, then I'll email again, LOL.

I emailed them for the $70, so hopefully I'll get it. If they don't give it to me, then I'll email again, LOL.

I had to email twice to get it. Sprint's reply said that I did not qualify. I responded with an email that was little more than 'Really?' and then they gave me the $70.

My plan isn't up for renewal until May 2011 but I emailed them anyways for the credit to see what they say.

Back