still need a separate sound card?

Yeah, old EAX effects were really nice.
It is a shame sound quality does not get the same kind of attention as graphics in games get.

Agree. It's weird... even with Nostalgia headphones off... the old DOS games with Soundblaster or Roland Audio sounded warmer, or richer in some way... Quake 3 and the original Call of Duty's weapons sounded crunchy. Nowadays for some reason games in general sound somewhat underwhelming.

Agree. It's weird... even with Nostalgia headphones off... the old DOS games with Soundblaster or Roland Audio sounded warmer, or richer in some way... Quake 3 and the original Call of Duty's weapons sounded crunchy. Nowadays for some reason games in general sound somewhat underwhelming.
Old games had samples in 22KHz and some older DOS games even lower like 11KHz or even 8KHz
Is this is "richer" I would not agree but it certainly had its own charm :)

What I think modern games are missing most is in-game music.
For more than a decade all AAA games have terrible unmemorable "cinematic" music that lacks any character.
Only games with good music are smaller games

Yeah, old EAX effects were really nice.
It is a shame sound quality does not get the same kind of attention as graphics in games get.

There are some games that do support ATMOS or "high res" audio now and products that do both of these, or DTS rather well, it's still there. And also most old games just didn't do EAX well either!

Proper Atmos support would be killer, supposing that the rest of the chain is synced up as needed.

My last two builds I've went with Asus boards that have the Crystal Sound tech. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, or what it even does for that matter, I just know it's supposed to be better than entry level. The default audio quality is OK. However, when you enable the equilizer in the sound panel set it to Powerful the sound system comes alive. I'm really happy with how it sounds through my stereo Logitech speakers with sub.

Back