Still having doubts about what screen to buy

SXTC

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,

I just ordered a HD6950 graphics card but are still not sure about wich monitor I would get to use with it...

What I can tell you now is that I own a 22" LG 226WTQ-PF (1680x1050 res/60hz/ 33ms total lag, claimed 2ms by manufacturers).

I've been looking at 27" screens for a while now but I notice there's also a lot of people going for 30". Now my question would be... what kind of a monitor would be best suited for a gamer that plays a lot of RPG (dragonage 2 for example) and some FPS (Crysis 2).
My budget available for a screen is 500$ ( a little more or less is allright, as long as it's not over 100$ more).

Question is, what size of monitor would be best suited for a gamer that value's response time as much as image quality during games? (If you know some within my budget, can you please post some links?)
Keep in mind that I do not want a monitor smaller then 25.5" (I guess this is a monitor Vs monitor thing during which I hope to find the best suitable monitor for gaming).

Last edited:
30" monitors are out of your budget anyway. I think all the 27" 2560x1440 screens are too.. although the upcoming Samsung PLS may hopefully shock us with a low price.

You may want to reconsider getting a 32" 1920x1080 TV, if you want a big screen. Definitely do research about which models work well first though, Sony EX400 and LG LD450 come to mind off the top of my head as popular choices..

30" monitors are out of your budget anyway. I think all the 27" 2560x1440 screens are too.. although the upcoming Samsung PLS may hopefully shock us with a low price.

You may want to reconsider getting a 32" 1920x1080 TV, if you want a big screen. Definitely do research about which models work well first though, Sony EX400 and LG LD450 come to mind off the top of my head as popular choices..

I forgot to mention, I only want a computer monitor since I allready own a TV and I would want the extra money to be spend on other options that I can actualy use.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I wouldn't dismiss using an LCD TV as a monitor, if you can find one in your budget.

Honestly, large TN displays are about all I can see you getting, and if you can stand the downfalls of a TN panel, go for it.

Otherwise, get a smaller screen with a better panel.

I guess this means I should go with the new 27" LG e-IPS panel :rolleyes:

I guess this means I should go with the new 27" LG e-IPS panel :rolleyes:

As long as you are fine with LG's traditionally aggresive AG coating on their monitors, then yes. I have a LG tv, the LD450, and I haven't been bothered by the coating if it has as much as their monitors. I need to go to Fry's and take a look at them up close.

As people have said, all the monitor technologies have issues, whether its performance, image quality, or price.

I am awaiting the pricing on Samsung's PLS series as well as information on input lag/ghosting before I decide to plunge on the LG 2770.

what exactly do you mean with aggressive coating? (my english isn't uber)

Does this mean the frame of the monitor is too shiny or something?

what exactly do you mean with aggressive coating? (my english isn't uber)

Does this mean the frame of the monitor is too shiny or something?

Aggressive Anti-Glare coating. It is what is used on the monitor's screen so that it minimizes any glare coming from light sources. What I mean by aggressive is that LG usually employs strong AG coating that can make a screen appear muddy with a "sparkle" effect. It would make things like text kind of muddy and if your eyes are sensitive to it, possibly straining it, etc.

Which is why I said I need to look at LG's smaller IPS offerings myself at a storefront before I go ahead and place a blind purchase.

Aggressive Anti-Glare coating. It is what is used on the monitor's screen so that it minimizes any glare coming from light sources. What I mean by aggressive is that LG usually employs strong AG coating that can make a screen appear muddy with a "sparkle" effect. It would make things like text kind of muddy and if your eyes are sensitive to it, possibly straining it, etc.

Which is why I said I need to look at LG's smaller IPS offerings myself at a storefront before I go ahead and place a blind purchase.

hmm is it possible that my LG 226WTQ-PF has hard coating too then? Because I find the fonts a little annoying at times. Anyhow I asked someone to make a revieuw on that new LG monitor and even then I will keep my eyes open for someone to mention more about the coating and it's result on this specific monitor.

Back