Still ethustiastic about SB ?

glen

Limp Gawd
I was going to sit out the SB upgrade, but then my daughter was complaining about her old Pentium D being too slow so I went to New Egg to buy an Ausus P67 pro and they were out of stock, I've been at this a long time and knew that was a red flag.

So I waited and then the recall annoucement, I've an engineer and been working with computers since the 80's, I am sure we aren't getting the full story on the recall.

But I think by the summer we will have rock solid MB's available, I'm thinking this little snafu will have Asus and Intel on their toes and we will see a motherboard cpu combo that will be rock stable and last folks many years. I'm thinking this summer will be one of the better upgrade scenarios.

I wouldnt say many years since Intels Ivy Bridge comes out in 2011 which I heard is going to be 30% faster then sandy bridge & I know if they do go 30% I know alot of Sandy Bridge owners will drop their current system for Ivy. I personally am going to wait for Ivy to be released & build then. Nothing ever lasts like you want it to its always going to be outdated really fast.

. Nothing ever lasts like you want it to its always going to be outdated really fast.

Depends on what you use your computer for. My current MB was I bought in I think in 2007, and nothing in the i-core series would really give much noticable gain for what I do.

If the P67 MB's accept Ivy Bridge processors as is being reported, I think they could be another 5 year motherboard.

I wouldnt say many years since Intels Ivy Bridge comes out in 2011 which I heard is going to be 30% faster then sandy bridge & I know if they do go 30% I know alot of Sandy Bridge owners will drop their current system for Ivy. I personally am going to wait for Ivy to be released & build then. Nothing ever lasts like you want it to its always going to be outdated really fast.

Last I heard it was supposed to be more like 20%, and even that is hard to believe. Remember its just a die shrink, not a new microarchitecture.

As for the op, I'm not sure you being an engineer or an old person qualifies you to guess at whether or not Intel is lying.

I don't think this "snafu" is going to do anything really. They're going to fix the problem and we'll have chipsets that perform as they were intended. I don't think they're going to do anything special to them to make them better than they were originally intended to be. Most Intel cpu/chipset combos are stable for many years to begin with. It's usually not instability that triggers an upgrade, it's the need/want for more performance that newer chipsets and CPU's provide.

<snip> I think they could be another 5 year motherboard.

Who the HELL keeps a board for 5 years!? Also, I'm hopeful that the Ivy Bridge stuff will have an 1155 variant, as I've already swapped over on my gaming rig, but we'll have to see how the re-release of 1155 / x67 boards goes and how the launch of S2011 pans out. Tick, tock

The only problem with SB right now is they arent out there to buy! lol They are awesome, best chip out at the moment. Once B3 comes all will be well.

The only problem with SB right now is they arent out there to buy! lol They are awesome, best chip out at the moment. Once B3 comes all will be well.

Yup. Although I am pissed off about the recall, I wouldn't trade the butter-smooth performance and extremely low power consumption of my 2500k for anything.

If I had waited longer to purchase, I would have just been stuck waiting 2-3 months for the new P67 stepping. This would have driven me crazy sticking with my old Core 2 Duo :D

Depends on what you use your computer for. My current MB was I bought in I think in 2007, and nothing in the i-core series would really give much noticable gain for what I do.

If the P67 MB's accept Ivy Bridge processors as is being reported, I think they could be another 5 year motherboard.

lol being reported where? its a new socket

Who the HELL keeps a board for 5 years!?

Pretty usual, at least to me, to make an end of life upgrade and hand the computer to someone who can make good use of it. For basic internet & office, my 6 years old system with XP64 is just comparable to my new work computer with Windows 7... less bugs on the counter BTW. So it makes perfect sense to me.

Big problem with Intel is the lack of compatibility between platforms given so many architectures. That really gives a hard time to the users... I was enthusiastic about buying a SB, but by the time SB will hit the streets again, LGA 2011 will already be making its way. Therefore now I'm anxious to know a schedule for SB cuz I can't wait too much to buy me a new system...

Last I heard it was supposed to be more like 20%, and even that is hard to believe. Remember its just a die shrink, not a new microarchitecture.

As for the op, I'm not sure you being an engineer or an old person qualifies you to guess at whether or not Intel is lying.

Performance of Intel Corp.&#8217;s latest Core i-series &#8220;Sandy Bridge&#8221; and improvements it brings over predecessors is rather impressive, which is why the company managed to sell over eight million of appropriate microprocessors in just several months of revenue shipments. The next-generation central processing units (CPUs) will bring further 20% - 30% of speed boost, according to a media report.

In general-purpose applications Ivy Bridge micro-architecture-based chips will boost performance by around 20% compared to Core i-series &#8220;Sandy Bridge&#8221; products; performance of integrated graphics core of Ivy Bridge will get 30% higher compared to the graphics engine of the latest microprocessors by Intel, according to VR-Zone web-site, which claims that it had seen documents with Intel&#8217;s internal performance estimates.

Yeah that was a typo on my part i meant to say 20% & 30% video. Was tired from being up for a couple of days again

Last edited:
Who the HELL keeps a board for 5 years!? Also, I'm hopeful that the Ivy Bridge stuff will have an 1155 variant, as I've already swapped over on my gaming rig, but we'll have to see how the re-release of 1155 / x67 boards goes and how the launch of S2011 pans out. Tick, tock

Eh? I'm still using my pentium 4 northwood/EE system for my second system. Still useful to me now, as this one game I just installed (Dragonshard, of all things) gets higher FPS on it, with my X850XT, than on my SB (with 6970), plus i got a GSOD when running it on the SB, too. I had to go WAY back to 6.9 catalyst drivers, though, as if I didn't, my FPS was under 10 FPS when scrolling, making the SB faster.....

Waiting for the next tech is a tricky thing. On one hand if you were say contemplating upgrading a core 2 system in Dec 2010, in general for most people it would make sense to wait the month for SB. On the other hand if you are say in Jan/Feb of 2011 wanting to skip SB simply because something better in Ivybridge is a year away, that seems like you will simply fall into a never ending trapped cycle. Why? Because when Ivybridge is out, it will likely only be a year until Haswell (probably much more significant improvement then SB->Ivy), and when Haswell is out, only another year to Rockwell!

Obviously when you are in between these two extremes in terms of time, it really just comes down to a personal decision.

A long wait for Ivy or LGA 2011 makes sense though if -

- your current CPU setup is enough for you (lets face it, for most people even on Core 2s, these upgrades are a luxury, not a necessity)
- you actually need the extra PCIe lanes and/or quad channel memory (most people only think they do however)
- you need a hex core or more for a significant improvement in what you do (you are on a 980x for instance)

I'm just waiting for Uncle Sam to mail me my tax return and I am picking up a Sandybridge CPU and mobo. The recall just came at the shittiest time for me personally but it is not going to stop me from upgrading as Sata II ports are a non-issue in my planned setup.

The Recall couldnt of come any sooner. I wouldnt jump on Sandy Bridge just yet every day there are tons of users with new issues. Now im Seeing ALOT of BSOD threads on multiple forums. I honestly believe there are more issues then we are lead to believe. So Far im seeing Boards Start on Fire, Sata Ports are bad, BSODs, Cold Bootup problems & much more.

I would wait till this pans out alittle but its your money & your patience

I still love mine, but am happy to have my 1090t to fall back on if it craps out as I see no performance difference in games, but LOVE how wicked cool the SB runs!

Haven't had any problems with mine so far. I'm loving the performance gain I received from making the switch from AMD.

I enjoy my SB system and have no regrets. I use it for apps, gaming and folding. I enjoy the performance & lower power consumption.

If you were to use it for word processing and web surfing then it may be a overkill.

I'm eagerly waiting the arrival of the rest of my SB build! My last right was based around an Intel Q9450, Intel skulltrail mobo and dual 4870s - hell I'd probably still be using it if the CPU/mobo hadn't fried (cooler was not seated properly)...

I'm just waiting for Uncle Sam to mail me my tax return and I am picking up a Sandybridge CPU and mobo. The recall just came at the shittiest time for me personally but it is not going to stop me from upgrading as Sata II ports are a non-issue in my planned setup.

Umm unless you get a used sandy combo, you won't be getting anything until B3 in march / april. They are not being sold! lol.

Umm unless you get a used sandy combo, you won't be getting anything until B3 in march / april. They are not being sold! lol.

Actually some places are still selling, major ones too like Amazon. I bought a MSI p67a-gd65 on Friday with free shipping and for $10 less then I was going to pay before the recall announcement.

Really? Well thats dumb of them and I bet intel would be pissed. The damn boards were recalled for a reason. I would def not be buying sandy if I hadnt already bought one. As is, I got this p67a-ud4 and it rocks and im using SATA6 so it's all good.

I'm a C2D at the moment, which I will be keeping as a backup, and with MSI cross shipping a new board for free when the new boards come, there really wasn't any downside to not buy for me. I mean otherwise I'd still be stuck on the C2D until April (best case scenario) if not May (more likely scenario). With Bulldozer possibly releasing near that time as well, I'd probably be tempted to wait for numbers on that, delaying a new system even longer.

i had one board and a 2600k and was going to buy the same board to use for a stock setup server build (asrock extreme4 p67). ironically before the second board shipped the recall happened. but the board has 4 unaffected sata ports and i wouldn't use more than that anyways due to getting a 1280ml areca for my server build, so its all moot ;). can't wait to get the server cpu, 2400 i5 :)

Actually some places are still selling, major ones too like Amazon. I bought a MSI p67a-gd65 on Friday with free shipping and for $10 less then I was going to pay before the recall announcement.

Shhhhhh! Don't tell the unwashed masses where to buy them before I can my hands on one. :D

I keep them that long, if they do what I ask of them. Do you have a problem with that?

For example, I built my rig exclusively for gaming: i7 2600k (2600k + Asus P8P67 EVO), and with this kind of power, I can totally see this mobo and CPU lasting a good 5 years for gaming.

Obviously, I would have to upgrade the GPU sometime, but the core platform will remain a viable gaming option for a LONG time.

Geez, look at the Q6600... it's a 5 year old CPU that still kicks ass in gaming, and I don't see it throwing the towel anytime soon, either. So that should put things into perspective.

And yes, Ivy Bridge will be released to LGA 1155 first, according to what's surfacing on the net, so it's all good.

I would agree with QuadDamage...if what you play and what you play it on provides you with enough eye candy + FPS, why upgrade? If you are not shooting for e-peen/sig gloating what's it matter?

The last video card setup I was using were dual 512MB 4870s, I just now upgraded =D

When will ivy bridge come out and will it be insanely priced like 800-1500?

Coming from a C2D, I'm still pretty excited about SB. I was going to wait a little anyway because I'm not interested in experiencing early adopter issues, so the recall hasn't been a big issue for me.

LGA 2011 doesn't really excite me either. Quad channel memory seems like it'd be an expensive headache for minor gains in anything I'd care about (i.e. gaming). Also, I imagine it'll be significantly more expensive as a platform. My C2D still performs okay, and since SB is quite a step up, I'm sure it'll be more than enough to handle most games for a while to come.

Ivy Bridge is supposed to be 20-30% faster then Sandy and even more cores.

Till then I'll keep playing with Q9650s trying to get 4.5-4.6Ghz.

Looks like sabregen ran away. Can't say I'm surprised...happens all the time.....

Heck I'd still be on my P5wdh (which is 4 and a half years old) and qx9650 (though the cpu is newer than the board) if the 4 pin didn't burn out from overclocking too hard (needed an 8 pin for all that current, which the board doesn't have....)

So yeah, sabregen needs to come back and admit he was wrong, since he doesn't know as much about the real world as he thought he did...

Absolutely I'm excited about SB!

No issue's yet with mine, i hope they get it sorted out though.

I really wanted a 2500k but I couldn't wait a few months, I know I will regret it but that's life. I'm sure I will think of a way to convince myself to buy one anyway when they become available again. :D

I keep them that long, if they do what I ask of them. Do you have a problem with that?

No, everyone has their own needs. Admittedly, I'm a hardware whore when it comes to my main gaming rig. My other systems though experience the trickle down effect and are bang for the buck or purpose built for their task, and budget minded, as well.

For example, I built my rig exclusively for gaming: i7 2600k (2600k + Asus P8P67 EVO), and with this kind of power, I can totally see this mobo and CPU lasting a good 5 years for gaming.

As stated before... yes I could see someone keeping their board/CPU combo for 5 years and just swapping SSDs, GPUs, PSUs (to power new GPUs), chassis...whatever. It's perfectly acceptable... it just isn't going to be me that plays by those rules. I've NEVER kept a board longer than 2 years, and in those two years, it trickles down from one system to the next. I rebuild all 4-8 of my systems (depending on current projects/ideas) every 6 months or so... if they make it that long.

Obviously, I would have to upgrade the GPU sometime, but the core platform will remain a viable gaming option for a LONG time.

Geez, look at the Q6600... it's a 5 year old CPU that still kicks ass in gaming, and I don't see it throwing the towel anytime soon, either. So that should put things into perspective.

No real disagreement here, either. Although the platform of the S775 is definitely dated, even I still have a Q6600 in current production at the house. It makes for a great encoding machine base for my DVD and Blu-Ray to .MKV x264 conversion so that the output can go to my WHS and be frontended by MyMovies and plugged into WMC for all of the connected clients in the house. Can you game on it? Shit yeah you can! I've still got a buddy running his under a custom loop @ 3.6 and sees no reason to upgrade right now. Can't argue with the logic... as stated before, I'm just not that damned patient :D

I would agree with QuadDamage...if what you play and what you play it on provides you with enough eye candy + FPS, why upgrade? If you are not shooting for e-peen/sig gloating what's it matter?

The last video card setup I was using were dual 512MB 4870s, I just now upgraded =D

More power to ya! Admittedly it's my personal affliction to have the latest and greatest, to the full extent of my personal expendable income allows for. Call it ridiculous (it is, pretty much). Just 2 weeks ago I went from a DFI MI P55-T36, Xeon X3440 @ 3.23 (board limited bclock to 170 so this was as high as I could go), and 2x2GB HyperX 1600 with a GTX470 to an Intel DH67CF, i7 2600k, 2x4GB G.Skill Snipers and a GTX580. Did I have a good reason to upgrade? In my mind the question was more "Do I want to upgrade." The answer should be apparent.

Looks like sabregen ran away. Can't say I'm surprised...happens all the time.....

Hey now, that's not fair, I harass MANY people and stir the pot all over these forums... I've just been directing my attention elsewhere is all :D (I blame GenMay mainly, and the whole Nvidia / Metro 2033 key raping... at least for Friday's absence from the thread).

Heck I'd still be on my P5wdh (which is 4 and a half years old) and qx9650 (though the cpu is newer than the board) if the 4 pin didn't burn out from overclocking too hard (needed an 8 pin for all that current, which the board doesn't have....)

So yeah, sabregen needs to come back and admit he was wrong, since he doesn't know as much about the real world as he thought he did...

Your CPU is no slouch, and if I had been able to find a 9550 (let alone a QX9650) that did 4GHz when I was looking for one, within the budget I was working with at the time, I'd have stayed S775 until this point. That being said, I got the (entire system) upgrade bug twice since then. You'll get no admission from me to the extent that you're looking for. You DID however, get the eentire aforementioned concession that not EVERYONE needs to upgrade, and there is certainly something to be said for bang for the buck performance upgrades and being cost conscious.

Having said that... I really like the i7 2600k... I just was hoping for a P67 board variant soon (which of course now is almost infinitely delayed) so that I could finalize my build and go with a custom loop. Such is the luck with new platforms and being an early adopter (which I rarely am, by the way).

Last edited:

That is true for atleast the motherboards but you can still buy the CPUs at superbiiz.com

I'm pretty happy with my Sandy Bridge downgrade. I was going to skip it entirely and wait a bit, but I realized I could sell my 980x for almost what I paid for it on ebay (only lost money on shipping) so I decided to do that and get to play with something new. The SATA problem doesn't effect me at all and I only have a single video card right now so I'm pretty happy with this platform.

My Q6600 is still serving me well for gaming, but it's feeling a bit slow for a lot of the encoding and periodic number crunching I do. I'm a bit bummed that I have to wait until March, but I can still enjoy my 6950 on a lot of games until then.

Well glad you replied back. Anyway I'll rebuild the QX9650 system for a spare as soon as I can find a non overpriced P45 mainboard for it...(I saw a used ep45 ud3p sell for just over $200 on ebay...that's just freaking absurd...

My Q6600 is still serving me well for gaming, but it's feeling a bit slow for a lot of the encoding and periodic number crunching I do. I'm a bit bummed that I have to wait until March, but I can still enjoy my 6950 on a lot of games until then.

Well glad you replied back. Anyway I'll rebuild the QX9650 system for a spare as soon as I can find a non overpriced P45 mainboard for it...(I saw a used ep45 ud3p sell for just over $200 on ebay...that's just freaking absurd...

If we must be 100% realistic, both the Q6600 and the Q9650 WILL remain excellent CPUs for gaming in the next few years.

It will be a very long time until we start seeing CPUs such as Core 2 Quad and the top Core 2 Duos as minimum requirements.

Nowadays, some games still require only a Pentium 4, such as Dead Space 2.

Most games now require, a low-end dual core CPU (Core 2 Duo E2000, E3000, E4000, and even the Pentium D) or an older Athlon X2, as a minimum.

So, until we reach the Higher end duals like the E8000 series, Phenom II X2, or the i3 as minimum, it will be a long time. Not to mention the quads will take even longer :)

Last edited:
Back