Still confused about AMD naming system

Peat Moss

Gawd
Ok, I'm still confused about AMD's naming system. I've been waiting for the latest desktop CPUs. I thought these were going to be the Ryzen 4000 series (following the 3000 series). Now I'm reading they are actually going to be the 5000 series. Was the 4000 series for laptops? Will the desktop CPU levels still be Ryzen 5, 7, and 9? Or will they be 7, 9, and 11?

And is it still the Zen 2 architecture, or is it now Zen 3?

They want APU's and CPU's on the same numbering scheme to alleviate confusion

It's basically AMD"s FFVII

i.e no more fucking around wth naming like 3 being 6...

That's the opposite of what they did. They jumped the 4000 naming scheme because the APUs already took up that range. OP, you're looking for the Ryzen 5000 series not 4000 series for the strictly cpu cpus.

That's the opposite of what they did? They jumped the 4000 naming scheme because the APUs already took up that range.
Exactly like Square jumped 4,5,6 in the US and when right to 7 to make it all even everywhere else in the world.

so APU's were going to 5000 but cpus were only going to be at 4000.

That's the opposite of what they did. They jumped the 4000 naming scheme because the APUs already took up that range. OP, you're looking for the Ryzen 5000 series not 4000 series for the strictly cpu cpus.
They jumped 4xxx for zen3 desktop because the 4xxx APUs were zen 2 parts. They want all zen 3 products to be 5xxx, zen 4 to be 6xxx and so on.

I always wonder what is going on at the marketing departments of those companies. It started with Zen and the 1000 series, after that they started to mess it up by calling Zen + the 2000 series, those CPUs should just have been called something like Ryzen 7 1700X+ instead of Ryzen 2700X. With Zen 2 they should have switched to 2000 Series and with Zen 3 to 3000 Series, that would have solved the confusion. Also just name the damn APU something like 3600G instead of 3600X. No idea who thought that they all of a sudden change the names to 4000... Just doesn't make sense.

I always wonder what is going on at the marketing departments of those companies. It started with Zen and the 1000 series, after that they started to mess it up by calling Zen + the 2000 series, those CPUs should just have been called something like Ryzen 7 1700X+ instead of Ryzen 2700X. With Zen 2 they should have switched to 2000 Series and with Zen 3 to 3000 Series, that would have solved the confusion. Also just name the damn APU something like 3600G instead of 3600X. No idea who thought that they all of a sudden change the names to 4000... Just doesn't make sense.
Nothing wrong with naming a Zen+ CPU with a 2000’s model, it is after all a different architecture from Zen (at least more so than Core 8xxx vs Core 9xxx). The problem is they mix architectures in a model number series.

They messed up with naming Zen+ mobile parts and APUs the 3000 series. This cause mobile and APUs to be named one generation ahead of desktop CPU even though they were the same architecture (I.E 2700x and 3200g are zen+).

By going to 5000 everything will be the same gen nomenclature (mobile, apu, desktop)

So if I have this right, the new CPUs (desktop CPU only) being released this year will be: Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 series? And the successor to say, the 3800XT, will be something like 5800 X?

Back