Still can't get used to android...went back to WebOS

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I have been using Android for about 4 months and the whole system is a big mess.

Went back to my old Sprint Palm Pre overclocked to 1GHz and am lovin it now.

Probably next month I will try and do a frankenpre 2. Fun fun!

Its a shame webos never caught on, vastly superior to anything out there.

Just for the hell of it... I used Pre3 for a couple months.

It was "OK", but the only thing it did better than WP7 was Skype integration and it did not have proper WLM support.

iOS 5 just stomps WebOS in just about every category.

It was a decent device/OS but there is a reason for why it never caught on.

As far as Android, it can do everything WebOS can and much more, just like iOS5

While flashing kernels and ROMs on an Android handset is great, I do miss the UI and true multitasking of WebOS. I'd say it never caught on due to poor marketing and shitty hardware. As much as I loved WebOS, the Pre itself was a cheap phone.

Never used WebOS. What does it do besides the cards multitasking that's so much better?

If you guys only knew what Palm had planned for WebOS at launch... Speaking to one of the project managers, they let me in on some pretty bold aspirations, that unfortunately never came to light...

Most impressive in my mind: They wanted complete automation through your calendar. If you set an appointment, if would actually research who your appointment was with, either through wikipedia, linkedin, etc. As you were driving to your meeting, it would use GPS and traffic to tell you when to leave, see if you'd be on time, and if you were running late, automatically email the person you were meeting to keep them up to date.

You have no idea how we felt at Sprint when we got the demo units in a month before release. Everyone who played with it felt it killed the iPhone, and outside of a slightly small keyboard, we all fell in love with it... We truly thought we had the next superphone, and Sprint was going to turn things around. And then, release day... There were so many hardware defects at launch, we estimated a 40% return rate. In my district, it was about 35%. 4, 5, 6 swaps in a month, and the customers STILL had shoddy, wobbly phones. After that, Pre sales went to shit, and nobody wanted to give it a try. Workers wouldn't sell it due to potential returns & poor customer surveys, customers would hear about the phone from their friends & stay away. It was pretty sad, really...

Count me in as a huge fan of WebOS...along with my wife. We each have a launch day Pre and love it. My daughter had one too, but jumped to Android.

We also have three TouchPads (85 beans each...what a steal!)...and the OS just plain rocks. Yes, app support is limited, but we have enough to keep us happy, including software the lets me use my Pre as a wifi hotspot with unlimited data, which always tortures my friends who have iPhones on AT&T and Verizon.

I am hoping for some open source love. :)

Last edited:
What version of Android did you use? Matias Duarte, the guy behind WebOS, is now working on Android and there are a number of WebOS inspirations in ICS. If you tried an older version of Android like Gingerbread or Froyo (2.3 and 2.2 respectively), I would definitely suggest giving 4.0 ICS a shot as it is *much* improved. Huge, huge upgrade.

Or of course you can always stick with your WebOS phone. If you like it might as well keep using it :)

I loved WebOS too. But the hardware sucked!

I had 1 pre and it stopped charging.. (and it Oreo'd)

I had a Pixi (much better keyboard) but the mic stopped working.

I tried a Veer but IT WAS SOOOOO SLOW.

But yeah.. the OS is awesome.

I went from Palm Pre to EVO 4G and never looked back. After breaking my EVO, I had to go back to my Pre for about 2 weeks...could not stand it for the life of me.

I agree that there are certain concepts about WebOS which are great...but the lack of hardware supporting it killed the phone.

I dug my palm pre out of my junk drawer today....I forgot that the original Pre actually Underclocked it from 600mhz to 500mhz...lol seems weird....specially since people have hacked it to 1Ghz for the orginal Pre. going to try the overclocking thing on it....does anyone know if you can put the newer WebOS version on it or is it stuck on 1.4.5?

I was hoping to use it as a ebook reader if it had Kindle support....only the HP TouchPad with WebOS has Kindle though :( Some google searching didn't come up with any hacks or anything for me.

I dug my palm pre out of my junk drawer today....I forgot that the original Pre actually Underclocked it from 600mhz to 500mhz...lol seems weird....specially since people have hacked it to 1Ghz for the orginal Pre. going to try the overclocking thing on it....does anyone know if you can put the newer WebOS version on it or is it stuck on 1.4.5?

I was hoping to use it as a ebook reader if it had Kindle support....only the HP TouchPad with WebOS has Kindle though :( Some google searching didn't come up with any hacks or anything for me.

Yes you can hack it to put 2.1 on there.

Also I just ordered a palm pre 2 verizon phone and going to make a frankensprintpre 2!

Kinda have to recommend WP7 if you're coming from Palm.

A lot of Palm app developers moved over to WP7. Apps like Carbon (a WebOS twitter client) have already re-launched on Windows Phone.

Kinda have to recommend WP7 if you're coming from Palm.

A lot of Palm app developers moved over to WP7. Apps like Carbon (a WebOS twitter client) have already re-launched on Windows Phone.

Are they hipster developers or something? They will only write apps for platforms with almost no users? :p

Just for the hell of it... I used Pre3 for a couple months.

It was "OK", but the only thing it did better than WP7 was Skype integration and it did not have proper WLM support.

iOS 5 just stomps WebOS in just about every category.

It was a decent device/OS but there is a reason for why it never caught on.

As far as Android, it can do everything WebOS can and much more, just like iOS5

Agreed. I have a BB before getting into Android and liked that a lot but could never go back.

I also made the switch from a Pre to an android phone (samsung epic 4g) a while back and so far have been largely unimpressed with android. Once you get over the apps the rest is a clusterfudge of options and customizations seemingly laid out in the most unintuitive way. While those options and extras are nice, so is good presentation.

It is true that android, iOS, and webos all do pretty much the same things but I feel that webos was more seemless than android. However, I have not used much of Honeycomb or ICS and if I have to root a device to get the presentation I want, then you are telling me I have to break warranty to have it. I dearly miss what I consider the greatest multitasking on a mobile device to date as well as the synergy synchronization. Yes my android phone will pull contacts from facebook and whatnot, but it is not nearly as reliable or as polished unless you talk strictly gmail contacts. Open source webOS on the better android hardware cannot get here fast enough, I just hope it has evolved with some new features by then to keep it current.

I also made the switch from a Pre to an android phone (samsung epic 4g) a while back and so far have been largely unimpressed with android. Once you get over the apps the rest is a clusterfudge of options and customizations seemingly laid out in the most unintuitive way. While those options and extras are nice, so is good presentation.

It is true that android, iOS, and webos all do pretty much the same things but I feel that webos was more seemless than android. However, I have not used much of Honeycomb or ICS and if I have to root a device to get the presentation I want, then you are telling me I have to break warranty to have it. I dearly miss what I consider the greatest multitasking on a mobile device to date as well as the synergy synchronization. Yes my android phone will pull contacts from facebook and whatnot, but it is not nearly as reliable or as polished unless you talk strictly gmail contacts. Open source webOS on the better android hardware cannot get here fast enough, I just hope it has evolved with some new features by then to keep it current.

That is exactly how I feel.

Back