still a big difference between 5400 and 7200 rpm drives?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I have a 100 gig 7200 RPM drive. I have been looking at the 750 gig 5400 RPM drive for my laptop.

Is there still a big difference to where I would want the faster drive? Or will a new 5400 RPM drive be fine?

I doubt you'd see much difference other than battery reduction.

You won't even see a difference in battery life. There are so many people buying SSDs and installing them just to get about 2-4% increase in battery life.
Other than that, performance, you won't even notice it.

in this case, the OP is considering going to a slower drive. I wasn't suggesting that the 7200 would eat more juice ;)

it's conceivable that the slower, larger drive's increased seeking would noticeably reduce his battery life. that said, there is also the consideration that he'll have a faster drive with more usable space with the 5400.

a 750gb 5400 drive likely has a faster usable disk area than the 100gb 7200
i'm not up on my terminology but the gist is that the 750 should have a few hundred really fast gigs compared to the few dozen really fast gigs of the 100gb.

the 750GB drive dispite being slower rotational speed will easily eclipse the older 7200rpm drive in most aspects simply due to the massive increase in aerial density

realistically you won't notice at all

you'll only notice in benchmark numbers

Back