'sticky' right button on mx510

icery

n00b
My MX510's right click mouse button has a 'sticky' feeling to it when trying to press it (primarily in the middle of the button, as opposed to the top and buttom parts of the button). I'm not sure if its even a sticky substance in there, but being that it appears theres no way to open these mice, I'm not sure what to do. thanks for the suggestions!

I usually detect a sticky left button if my fingers are not on axis with the wheel. I returned mine to BestBuy for a swap. They mailed a replacement to me two days later since they had none in stock at the local store.

How long have you had it? If it is under 30 days you can return it to the place of purchase for an exchange. Otherwise you will need to contact Logitec and get an RMA.

Lastly, are you depressing it in the middle of the right button? I mean not really close to the wheel (can you feel the raised portion with the wheel and the two navigation buttons?) and not really far away from the wheel, but still on-axis to the wheel.

Try this: put your "V" fingers (index and middle) over the two buttons THEN rest your thumb in the thumb rest. How does the thumb rest feel?

If you first grab the mouse by inserting your thumb, into the thumb slot, THEN laying down the index and middle fingers over the primary top buttons you should perceive a difference in "feel".

I think that you, like me, are not "grabbing" it correctly. Since I have small hands I may need to build up the thumb rest area so that my thymb is not resting all the way back, which causes my finger TIPS to move back and be off the top(s) of the buttons.

It doesn't matter where I click mine, it doesn't "feel sticky". You may need to rma it if you don't feel comfortable disassembling it to clean it. ;)

thanks for the replies. I do probably hold the mouse the wrong way. I do have small hands and when I press either of the buttons I'd say its right in the middle of mouse wheel.

I still have the receipt and I've had it since June 16th. When I purchased it they offered a 2 year replacement for $8.99, which right now I'm glad I took. Maybe I should go and ask for a replacement? I have the installation CD, mouse, and the box - but no instructions..if any of you have had experience with bestbuys replacement thing, is this enough for them to give me a replacement?

I think the best thing to do is go down there and ask for a replacement. The most they can say is no but I have a feeling they may honor it and you can walk out with a new mouse.

If that fails you can try and clean it but I'd wonder about a sticking mouse button. I can't recall ever having one myself so it almost sounds like a bit of a defect. (Well unless someome was eating waffles and syrup over your mouse :);).

Good luck man.

Back