Sticky outer surface of mouse

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought a mouse on ebay, it's an older one but I really like it. I had the same one but it finally broke.

Anyways, the outer surface of the mouse is sticky, it's like the plastic/rubber came off or something. Is there anyway to clean it off? If so, with what?

the soft-touch rubber is breaking down. not much you can do. you can rub it off (hehehe) with denatured alcohol or spray clear coat over it, maybe.
edit: you can get soft touch rubber in a spray can now.

the soft-touch rubber is breaking down. not much you can do. you can rub it off (hehehe) with denatured alcohol or spray clear coat over it, maybe.
edit: you can get soft touch rubber in a spray can now.

I had a Razer mouse do that to me. It was really sudden and there was NO way to take the sticky goo off because the next layer was just as bad. It's like the plastic was attacked by some bacteria or something.

I saved a logitech wireless mouse using the alcohol method. The rubbery grips on the sides were sticky, so using a rag with alcohol took it off to the smooth plastic, and it's like new again. I've used the method on other devices since and it's worked great. All that grippy rubber compound melts eventually.

91% rubbing alchohol works ok. IF the plastic can withstand it, lemon essential oil works better.

I used about a hundred little alcohol wipes, rubbed it for about 5 minutes every day for a week and it fixed the problem.

Did you actually get all the rubber coating off? If not, it will start becoming sticky again very quickly.

I had a similar situation and used alcohol and awesome and rubbed it with one of those yellow and green sponges and it worked out great to remove all the rubber left. Just be careful not to moisten the inside of the mouse.

Denatured alcohol has worked for me very well on most rubbery surfaces that had become sticky with age.

Back