Sticky Note gadget performance got crappy. Ideas?

stop!theradio

2[H]4U
I keep two sticky note gadgets on my desktop. Always have, probably always will. My last reinstall was this last October I believe and I have been filling the sticky notes up with whatever important info I need to. I noticed the other day that they were getting laggy. When I mouse over them, the controls on the right don't pop up right away. When I try to enter text, it's really slow as if catching up to what I'm typing. Scrolling through the info on the notes is a pain and laggy. I figured maybe it was time to backup the text on the sticky notes and start new, so I did just that. But the nw sticky notes are the same way; slow and laggy to work with. This has never happened before as I've always used them this way without any strange issues. Does anyone know what might be going on? Is there some sort of gadget cache I can clear to fix the problem? It's happening only with the sticky notes, everything else on the machine works just fine. System is in the sig. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64. The sticky note gadget itself is the one from Vista (I can't stand the default Windows 7 sticky notes, so I've always stuck with the Vista version).

Thanks in advance!

could just be that the vista version sucks in windows 7.. other thing you could try doing is closing and reopening the gadget see if that fixes it.. or run task manager and watch the processes while you are using sticky note and see if anything unusual happens(e.g. excessive memory or cpu usage when using it).. i know the few times i used any of the gadgets in windows 7 after a few days or weeks one or more of the gadgets would peg my cpu at 100% for absolutely no reason until i'd close and restart the gadget. it was always a different gadget each time though so i could never pin point exactly which one caused it so i just quit using them completely.

Thank goodness I never had to rely on any gadgets. I've never had good luck with them over the long term. Those things would fail at some point after a couple of weeks of use and I have better things to do than troubleshoot that shit. I would have assumed that stop!theradio's issue is probably the Vista gadget misbehaving in the Windows 7 Gadget Platform but according to MSDN, the gadgets should be compatible. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd370867(v=vs.85).aspx

You can try enabling the display of script errors:
Debugging

To help developers debug gadget applications, the following registry key has been added to Windows 7, which enables the display of script errors at run time.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar] "ShowScriptErrors"=dword:00000001

could just be that the vista version sucks in windows 7.. other thing you could try doing is closing and reopening the gadget see if that fixes it.. or run task manager and watch the processes while you are using sticky note and see if anything unusual happens(e.g. excessive memory or cpu usage when using it).. i know the few times i used any of the gadgets in windows 7 after a few days or weeks one or more of the gadgets would peg my cpu at 100% for absolutely no reason until i'd close and restart the gadget. it was always a different gadget each time though so i could never pin point exactly which one caused it so i just quit using them completely.

Thanks, but I mentioned in my post that I'd been using the vista gadget for a long time and through multiple installs and it's always worked fine up until this point.

Thank goodness I never had to rely on any gadgets. I've never had good luck with them over the long term. Those things would fail at some point after a couple of weeks of use and I have better things to do than troubleshoot that shit. I would have assumed that stop!theradio's issue is probably the Vista gadget misbehaving in the Windows 7 Gadget Platform but according to MSDN, the gadgets should be compatible. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd370867(v=vs.85).aspx

You can try enabling the display of script errors:
Debugging

To help developers debug gadget applications, the following registry key has been added to Windows 7, which enables the display of script errors at run time.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar] "ShowScriptErrors"=dword:00000001

Like I said, its been fine up until this point. I've always used the Windows Vista sticky note in 7 since 2009 and I've never had problems. I don't understand why it would be a problem now.

Thanks, but I mentioned in my post that I'd been using the vista gadget for a long time and through multiple installs and it's always worked fine up until this point.

Like I said, its been fine up until this point. I've always used the Windows Vista sticky note in 7 since 2009 and I've never had problems. I don't understand why it would be a problem now.

it could be anything, hell it could just be caused by one of the 1000's of windows 7 updates, or other programs you have installed. which is why its worth checking everything to see if something else is conflicting with it. theres just to many variables in it, i was only trying to give you a starting point that may or may not lead to the actual cause of the problem.

I do stay current with Windows updates so I imagine that could be an issue. But man, there's so many updates I wouldn't know where to begin. I suppose my only option would be to reformat and perform updates one by one.

That's WAY too much work for a stupid sticky note :p I guess I'll look a bit harder online to see if anyone else might be having the problem. Thanks for all your help so far!

Back