Steven Spielberg Is Gunning to Make Sure Netflix Never Has Another Oscars Contender

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Are Netflix movies “real” films? Nah, says Steven Spielberg: the director of classics such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, and Jurassic Park has drew the contempt of various Hollywood insiders after he revealed his plans to propose changes to Oscars eligibility rules, arguing “films that debut on streaming services or get a short theatrical run should qualify for the Emmys” instead. While Spielberg appears to be speaking out merely as a “dedicated cinephile,” The A.V. Club suggests he may be “serving as the mouthpiece” for studios that are growing increasingly concerned about Netflix’s prominence.

People are pissed off about money—how much Netflix is spending, and how much it is, or isn’t, bringing in. We’re willing to buy the idea that Spielberg’s motives are more pure—he’s a dedicated cinephile, and he’s already got more cash than god—with a focus on the idea that there’s a fundamental difference between visual media made to show on a theater screen, and that designed to run on a monitor or a phone. But it still sounds likely that he’ll end up serving as the mouthpiece for a movement fueled in large part by established studios who don’t like the way the new kid on the block operates.

Spielberg is further from any relavent movie he made than Cameron. Both of them are greedy relics.

Besides, when was the last time the Oscars actually got it right?

Who cares....

Award shows are rigged anyway, lots of money changes hands to even get nominated.

Best advice is to stop watching.

Not really. Its more about the advertising campaigns and movies that appeal to what the Oscar voters go for. If a movie could win due to the studio paying the voters then it wouldn't haven taken this long for a MCU movie to get a best picture nomination. Green Book won this year both due to the kind of movie it is and because it wasn't directed by Bryan Singer. In any other year, Bohemian Rhapsody probably would have won.

Meh, the Oscars are for the silver screen. I get that everybody on the internet demands inclusiveness these days but these services really don't qualify for the Oscars without some cheap cheating.

Streaming services should have their own award show.

Maybe the streamer's show wouldn't suck until it gets weighed down by endless expansion and stupid categories. Endless, masturbatory bull-shit too. There's lots of self worship at the Oscars, it's like a Trump rally for Hollywood's "elite".

"I Drive a hybrid with eleven horse power!" He said proudly. "On my way to my helicopter to get to my private jet."

Watching award shows of Hollywood elites giving eachother circle jerks is right up there with exciting shit like watching paint dry.

At least the Victoria Secret show has something to look at.

Netflix should pull a MTV, and make their own awards show. Spielberg should back to finishing his animaniacs reboot. Give me Tiny Toons, and Duck Dodgers too.

I would say make better movies so you get nominated iso the ones you don't want nominated.

images (8).jpeg

Spielberg is right, Roma shouldn't have been nominated for best movie and all of the others should not have been either. There is also no reason to see any of those movies in theaters. Movies like The Departed, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, and Gladiator couldn't win today because normal people like them and they aren't intersectional.

That is fine with me in addition not one streaming service nor cable channel nor satellite TV show the awards. Keep 100% movie theater, where you can take your family of 5 at $12 a pop and buy $5 popcorn and $5 sodas and watch all the stars praise themselves with infantile and illogical speeches while all bow down and clap.

Wait, not a soul would bother.

That is fine with me in addition not one streaming service nor cable channel nor satellite TV show the awards. Keep 100% movie theater, where you can take your family of 5 at $12 a pop and buy $5 popcorn and $5 sodas and watch all the stars praise themselves with infantile and illogical speeches while all bow down and clap.

Wait, not a soul would bother.

Not a soul really does...

A movie is a movie isn't it? That like saying, I don't like a kid with crayons can never win an award over a kid with a paintbrush. Go home Senior Speilbergo, you're drunk.

Best formula for winning picture of the year is to, in some form or another, make a reference back to the movie industry. I felt “The Shape of Water” was just an OK movie but, because they could say it was a nod to Creature from the Black Lagoon, blah blah, it got the nod. Hugo? I thought I was going to see a movie about some kid’s wild adventure. Instead, he discovers some old dude that worked on B&W pictures before soundtracks. Wheee!

My conclusion is that the movie industry is just really infatuated with itself... and no interlopers need apply.

It's too easy to make Oscar-bait movies and get awards. It's all a sham anyways. Just like Hollywood and entertainment in general; it's a popularity contest.

Netflix should just make its own awards and give itself awards each year.

Hey Steve, why don't you travel back in time. Back to the 70's, when you were a young man filming 'Jaws', a movie your peers said would lose money. Did you give a shit about the Hollywood establishment in those days? Remember what it was like to get the green light for 'Close Encounters Of A Third Kind'? Or 'Poltergeist'? Do you remember a time when you believed that a scary movie could represent the artistic qualities of Hollywood?

You're an older man now, but that doesn't mean you have to represent the Hollywood establishment that you never liked.

To each his own. I loved the book as a love letter to everything '80s related and stuff from my childhood.

The problem (aside from it being poorly written) is that the book was a giant case of "author with head stuffed up their own ass" syndrome. It was incredibly pretentious and often times felt like the author shitting people that didn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the 80s. Some of the clues and puzzles were clever (and honestly the best part of the book) but Wade was a unlikable piece of shit. Also, I love how the book is all about how "corporations are evil and will ruin everything" and the moment the overly pretentious author gets handed a giant check he sells out to a big corp.

How are we supposed to take anything serious from a dude who wears a hat like that? Mainstream Hollywood at it's finest

Does anyone outside of the industry still give a crap about these Hollywood circle jerk award shows?

Back