Steven Spielberg Is Gunning to Make Sure Netflix Never Has Another Oscars Contender

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Are Netflix movies “real” films? Nah, says Steven Spielberg: the director of classics such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, and Jurassic Park has drew the contempt of various Hollywood insiders after he revealed his plans to propose changes to Oscars eligibility rules, arguing “films that debut on streaming services or get a short theatrical run should qualify for the Emmys” instead. While Spielberg appears to be speaking out merely as a “dedicated cinephile,” The A.V. Club suggests he may be “serving as the mouthpiece” for studios that are growing increasingly concerned about Netflix’s prominence.

People are pissed off about money—how much Netflix is spending, and how much it is, or isn’t, bringing in. We’re willing to buy the idea that Spielberg’s motives are more pure—he’s a dedicated cinephile, and he’s already got more cash than god—with a focus on the idea that there’s a fundamental difference between visual media made to show on a theater screen, and that designed to run on a monitor or a phone. But it still sounds likely that he’ll end up serving as the mouthpiece for a movement fueled in large part by established studios who don’t like the way the new kid on the block operates.

2. Probleminfected

Probleminfected [H]ard|Gawd

Who cares....

Award shows are rigged anyway, lots of money changes hands to even get nominated.

Best advice is to stop watching.

3. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

Spielberg is further from any relavent movie he made than Cameron. Both of them are greedy relics.

Besides, when was the last time the Oscars actually got it right?

Venos, jnemesh and LightsOut41 like this.
  4. Term-X

Term-X 2[H]4U

Emmy's he says? They should take the Oscars off TV since it's 'theatre' based. Nothing of value will be lost.

Venos, LightsOut41, Aioeyu and 3 others like this.
  5. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

I'd say it's less theatre more circle jerk.

6. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

7. Rattle

Rattle 2[H]4U

as if there's any good movies being made anymore by anyone.

mikeo, LightsOut41 and Compddd like this.
  8. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Sounds like your upset that your man Giorgio Tsoukalos didn't get nominated for his last piece.

chockomonkey likes this.
  9. RealBeast

RealBeast Gawd

This, so let's just give them all participation certificates. ;)

mikeo likes this.
  10. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

Lol. Can't beat them ? Then change the rules to your advantage...
    Child play move.

11. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

Do they still have awards shows where people don't use the entire show to scream into the microphone about politics like a lunatic instead?

Venos, LightsOut41, Aioeyu and 6 others like this.
  12. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Not really. Its more about the advertising campaigns and movies that appeal to what the Oscar voters go for. If a movie could win due to the studio paying the voters then it wouldn't haven taken this long for a MCU movie to get a best picture nomination. Green Book won this year both due to the kind of movie it is and because it wasn't directed by Bryan Singer. In any other year, Bohemian Rhapsody probably would have won.

13. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Meh, the Oscars are for the silver screen. I get that everybody on the internet demands inclusiveness these days but these services really don't qualify for the Oscars without some cheap cheating.

Streaming services should have their own award show.

Maybe the streamer's show wouldn't suck until it gets weighed down by endless expansion and stupid categories. Endless, masturbatory bull-shit too. There's lots of self worship at the Oscars, it's like a Trump rally for Hollywood's "elite".

"I Drive a hybrid with eleven horse power!" He said proudly. "On my way to my helicopter to get to my private jet."

14. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

Hollywood has a monopoly on backpatting rewards it seems

B2BigAl likes this.
  15. Cyraxx

Cyraxx 2[H]4U

Watching award shows of Hollywood elites giving eachother circle jerks is right up there with exciting shit like watching paint dry.

At least the Victoria Secret show has something to look at.

LightsOut41, Maxx, B2BigAl and 3 others like this.
  16. lostinseganet

lostinseganet [H]ard|Gawd

Netflix should pull a MTV, and make their own awards show. Spielberg should back to finishing his animaniacs reboot. Give me Tiny Toons, and Duck Dodgers too.

Solhokuten likes this.
  17. Denpepe

Denpepe [H]ard|Gawd

I would say make better movies so you get nominated iso the ones you don't want nominated.

18. Catboxer

Catboxer [H]ard|Gawd

The Netflix Bean

lostinseganet likes this.
  19. Shmee

Shmee [H]ard|Gawd

Old man yells at kids on lawn.

trparky likes this.
  20. R_Type

R_Type Limp Gawd

After Ready Player One he can sit his ass back down and be quiet.

Venos, LightsOut41, MaZa and 2 others like this.
  21. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

Netflix changed the way they released movies to comply with the rules of eligibility for films they felt had a chance at awards. Now they want to move the goal posts even farther? Sounds like sour grapes from an industry clinging to the past.

22. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

23. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

MTV as a role model? The same MTV that despite being called music television stopped to actually show music videos, and instead shows propaganda pieces to indoctrinate and race bait youths?

LightsOut41, Maxx, B2BigAl and 4 others like this.
  24. Killroy

Killroy Gawd

Spielberg is right, Roma shouldn't have been nominated for best movie and all of the others should not have been either. There is also no reason to see any of those movies in theaters. Movies like The Departed, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, and Gladiator couldn't win today because normal people like them and they aren't intersectional.

Maxx, travanx, trparky and 2 others like this.
  25. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

That is fine with me in addition not one streaming service nor cable channel nor satellite TV show the awards. Keep 100% movie theater, where you can take your family of 5 at $12 a pop and buy $5 popcorn and $5 sodas and watch all the stars praise themselves with infantile and illogical speeches while all bow down and clap.

Wait, not a soul would bother.

LightsOut41 likes this.
  26. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Not a soul really does...

27. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

what did you expect.... they would just start making better films and stop sucking so hard instead?

trparky likes this.
  28. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Indeed. I mean, it was not a complete disaster but holy crap it did not do any justice to the book.

Rabid_Platypus and R_Type like this.
  29. Derangel

Haven't seen the movie, but the book was garbage.

30. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

A movie is a movie isn't it? That like saying, I don't like a kid with crayons can never win an award over a kid with a paintbrush. Go home Senior Speilbergo, you're drunk.

31. DesertCat

DesertCat Gawd

Best formula for winning picture of the year is to, in some form or another, make a reference back to the movie industry. I felt “The Shape of Water” was just an OK movie but, because they could say it was a nod to Creature from the Black Lagoon, blah blah, it got the nod. Hugo? I thought I was going to see a movie about some kid’s wild adventure. Instead, he discovers some old dude that worked on B&W pictures before soundtracks. Wheee!

My conclusion is that the movie industry is just really infatuated with itself... and no interlopers need apply.

32. umeng2002

umeng2002 Gawd

It's too easy to make Oscar-bait movies and get awards. It's all a sham anyways. Just like Hollywood and entertainment in general; it's a popularity contest.

33. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

Netflix should just make its own awards and give itself awards each year.

34. DrDoU

DrDoU 2[H]4U

also its how you blow who you know

35. seanreisk

seanreisk Gawd

Hey Steve, why don't you travel back in time. Back to the 70's, when you were a young man filming 'Jaws', a movie your peers said would lose money. Did you give a shit about the Hollywood establishment in those days? Remember what it was like to get the green light for 'Close Encounters Of A Third Kind'? Or 'Poltergeist'? Do you remember a time when you believed that a scary movie could represent the artistic qualities of Hollywood?

You're an older man now, but that doesn't mean you have to represent the Hollywood establishment that you never liked.

36. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

Dinosaur roars futilely in the face of the oncoming asteroid.

37. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

To each his own. I loved the book as a love letter to everything '80s related and stuff from my childhood.

38. Derangel

The problem (aside from it being poorly written) is that the book was a giant case of "author with head stuffed up their own ass" syndrome. It was incredibly pretentious and often times felt like the author shitting people that didn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the 80s. Some of the clues and puzzles were clever (and honestly the best part of the book) but Wade was a unlikable piece of shit. Also, I love how the book is all about how "corporations are evil and will ruin everything" and the moment the overly pretentious author gets handed a giant check he sells out to a big corp.

39. Mike89

Mike89 Gawd

How are we supposed to take anything serious from a dude who wears a hat like that? Mainstream Hollywood at it's finest

Fresch likes this.
  40. HockeyJon

HockeyJon [H]ard|Gawd

Does anyone outside of the industry still give a crap about these Hollywood circle jerk award shows?