Steve Jobs: 'We're Having a Little Problem Here'

Of all the stuff talked about at that presentation, this was hardly anything more than a hiccup. Not sure why so many people focus on this kind of thing. There are always mistakes in presentations. BSOD's during MS stuff etc etc.

Because there's a strange schadenfreude sought in these forums by people raging with venomous hatred for anything Apple. That, and Steve makes a point to post anything anti- or ridiculing of Apple on the front page whenever he can. I think he does it just to be provocative; but the forum posters can get downright awful with their comments.

It is cut and dry if the only superior things about the iPhone are hardly important or based only on "Apple claims".
Who's responsible for defining which things are "important" and which are not? You? That's a little arrogant, don't you think?

This "[insert product] is better than [insert Apple product] because I say so" mentality that's become so prevalent is truly unfathomable to me.

The EVO has an inferior display (~217 ppi versus the 326 ppi of iPhone 4) and fairly poor battery life, however, especially with 4G enabled. Apple claims the battery in the new model could last 40% longer than the battery in the 3GS. The EVO's heavier as well: 170 grams versus the iPhone's 137 grams (a hair heavier than the 3GS).

It isn't so cut and dry.

I think it's hilarious they say it "could" last 40% longer; so after all these months nobody has tested it in their R&D department? You rip on the HTC for being "a hair heavier" than the 3GS... however if the iphone4 never came out would you still be able to rip over "all that extra weight"?

current 3G user here -- ive enjoyed my stay in the apple camp, but I'm moving to more open waters here as soon as I can find a place that has one in stock.

FYI to others -- the reason this tech fail is so hilarious is because of the strength at which all apple drones tout the "It just works" BS when they are talking about their hardware between rounds of smelling their own farts. When I saw the video of the new phone crapping out -- knowing what kind of man Jobs is I could SO tell how hard he was trying to be cool and play it off. I'd pay money to see his batshit crazy tirade back stage. And you know someone got fired for that.

I find it humorous that the CPU speed of this "new" A4 chip isn't put on the front page of everything.

What's crazy is that Apple has had to buy two licenses for names from Cisco now.

Cisco owned the iPhone brand before Apple.
And now the "iOS4".... Cisco calls their router operating systems "IOS"

Apple has very little original creativity anymore... They do mesh it all into a nice shiny package for marketing though!

I think it's hilarious they say it "could" last 40% longer; so after all these months nobody has tested it in their R&D department?
I believe the term they used was "up to", not "could". Up to 40% longer than the previous generation, depending on what you're doing (maybe no real difference in some cases, but I personally doubt that).

You rip on the HTC for being "a hair heavier" than the 3GS... however if the iphone4 never came out would you still be able to rip over "all that extra weight"?
If it wasn't clear, I said the 4 was a "hair heavier" than the 3GS, not the EVO. The 4 is 2 grams heavier than the 3GS. The EVO is 25% heavier than iPhone 4: That is by no means a "hair".

I find it humorous that the CPU speed of this "new" A4 chip isn't put on the front page of everything.
It isn't faster than anything else at the moment. There's no reason to brag about having a chip that's as fast as the chips in dozens of other phones on the market. Apple wants to take clock speed out of the phone shopping equation because they really don't have an edge over anybody at the moment.

I'm actually looking forward to having that 'huge/heavy' Evo in my hands... mainly because there have been a few times when my iphone3g just kinda slipped thru my fingers. I'm not a tiny person 6'1 210, with big hands (much easier to spank it with big hands)

I want a phone I can HOLD, I applaud the technical wonder that is shrinking the iphones thickness by 1/3rd but the tinyness is a turnoff.

The whole CPU thing is another one of those Apple moves that does nothing but piss a tech guy like me off. When I do my research and try to pull specs, if all I get is 'it has an A4' that tells me nothing in terms of speed. It's the same kind of stuff you run into when you ask a die hard mac person what kind of desktop they got. To illustrate see penny arcade link: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/4/28/

There is nothing I hate more than wanting a piece of information and then being given the runaround by a company that thinks they know what I need. It's been fun apple, but I can't wait to get my 115 dollar credit for my 3G and a much more open platform aka Droid.

I'm sure they weren't all on one AP, the fact is, it doesn't matter how many APs you have when you only have 11 channels in the spectrum, you still saturate all of the available rf bandwidth.

This stuff isn't magic, you can't just add an AP on the same frequency as another that's getting pounded, and expect it to work.

That's where you get off consumer grade APs and buy a Cisco mesh AP network. There's gotta be 30 APs in my building all controlled by one cisco LWAP controller. You get handed off between APs as you roam and the SSIDs stay the same. I can't imagine a large conference hall like that not having a mesh AP network. (even the Meraki units function well together, I've just never had that many users on my two meraki APs).

I truly hate Apple and Steve Jobs. I also hate that he is alive only because of all of his money. Maybe that's wrong of me, who knows.

BUT, the iphone is still the best phone out there as of yet, and here is why I think that.

I have a HTC HD2, and it's a great, great phone. Almost beats the iphone. The problem is the screen still isn't quite there with responsiveness. I just don't know how Apple gets that screen to be so responsive. It's like it just knows what I want to click on, even if it's tiny and there are a lot of other things around it.

The other reason is the software. Opera on the HD2 just isn't there. It's not as good at knowing what I clicked on. Sometimes it clicks next to what I want. Sometimes it doesn't load even when I'm 3G and full bars.

Have you upgraded to the new official rom for the HD2? For me it greatly improved the touch screen response, also there are registry tweaks you can do to adjust that as well. Not to mention tons of programs that you can use to tweak and set up the HD2 just the way you'd like. Google xda-developers find the HD2 forums section and go nuts.

Of all the stuff talked about at that presentation, this was hardly anything more than a hiccup. Not sure why so many people focus on this kind of thing. There are always mistakes in presentations. BSOD's during MS stuff etc etc.[/quote, True enough. But with Apple, well, It Just Works, right? That's the RDF we've been treated to for years. So no matter what--It Just Works.

I really loved the part where Steve jobs called out, "Any Suggestions?" And an audience member replied, "Verizon!" then Jobs says he was actually using wi-fi. If the wi-fi won;t work in that room then it will not work in a city environment. :eek:

I really loved the part where Steve jobs called out, "Any Suggestions?" And an audience member replied, "Verizon!" then Jobs says he was actually using wi-fi. If the wi-fi won;t work in that room then it will not work in a city environment. :eek:

Yes it will. A room with 500+ wifi devices all trying to access the same connection is an entirely different experience then out in a city.

The whole CPU thing is another one of those Apple moves that does nothing but piss a tech guy like me off. When I do my research and try to pull specs, if all I get is 'it has an A4' that tells me nothing in terms of speed.
The Evo will be faster and the Samsung Galaxy S will blow them both away. It's a shame that the Galaxy S is getting lost amongst the Evo and iPhone's press because it's one hell of a a phone.

So, basically, the iPhone 4 only works in an ideal environment where you have no other users competing for Wi-Fi bandwidth. Brilliant! :rolleyes:

That's where you get off consumer grade APs and buy a Cisco mesh AP network. There's gotta be 30 APs in my building all controlled by one cisco LWAP controller. You get handed off between APs as you roam and the SSIDs stay the same. I can't imagine a large conference hall like that not having a mesh AP network. (even the Meraki units function well together, I've just never had that many users on my two meraki APs).

It has nothing to do with the quality of the APs or the number of APs, if all 30 of your APs were in one room, 500 users would bring it to it's knees too. What are you not understanding about all of the available rf bandwidth being consumed? You have 500 devices trying to talk all at the same time on what comes down to only three non overlapping frequency channels. It's not physically possible, no matter what brand name you stick on it. It has nothing to do with roaming because you're all in one room.

That's a different situation altogether. In the Cisco situation, all devices are on a single, managed network. From what I understand, the Moscone center was a mish-mash of independent WiFi devices, all in contention for the same slice of spectrum. This is a recipe for failure.

I thought Apple products just worked?

Apple products are not magical enough to actually bend the laws of physics. Wifi is a limited spectrum. When you have a ton of people in the same space using the same freqs, it quashes the whole area. Has nothing to do with access points, or line bandwidth, but rather the physical limit of the radio spectrums in use.

I'm sure it had more to do with the wireless infrastructure of the building than it had to do with the phone itself, it's hard to fault the phone for their APs being saturated with that many users.

The SPECTRUM was saturated. You could have a million APs in the area and this would still happen. Wifi radio spectrum can only carry so much data at once.

Apple products are not magical enough to actually bend the laws of physics. Wifi is a limited spectrum. When you have a ton of people in the same space using the same freqs, it quashes the whole area. Has nothing to do with access points, or line bandwidth, but rather the physical limit of the radio spectrums in use.

Exactly... Cisco products either damnit! :D

Steve should have been smart enough to have something reliable like an Android phone he could have used as a WiFi hotspot. He could connect multiple iPhones to it so then he could have multitasking before iOS 4 also. I do think its funny that with this method they could actually use the video conferencing wherever.

It isn't faster than anything else at the moment. There's no reason to brag about having a chip that's as fast as the chips in dozens of other phones on the market.

This didn't stop Apple and its fanboys in the personal computer market even when the PowerPC chips were much slower. According to them they were the best thing ever up to the second that they switched to Intel.

Steve should have been smart enough to have something reliable like an Android phone he could have used as a WiFi hotspot. He could connect multiple iPhones to it so then he could have multitasking before iOS 4 also. I do think its funny that with this method they could actually use the video conferencing wherever.

This didn't stop Apple and its fanboys in the personal computer market even when the PowerPC chips were much slower. According to them they were the best thing ever up to the second that they switched to Intel.

That would not have solved the problem. Your android hotspot of myfi whatever bullshit is still using the same frequency range as everything else in the room, which is exactly the problem.

I said that already spire :p

as others said they could have used N wireless or since they own the police in the area they could even have modified it to use a nonspec channel, I believe there are some European only ones in the B range. Maybe the N sucks and can't work in the 5ghz range.

That would not have solved the problem. Your android hotspot of myfi whatever bullshit is still using the same frequency range as everything else in the room, which is exactly the problem.

Seemed plenty of bloggers were still getting there posts out just fine. The fact that much of the stuff filling the frequency range were these "bullshit" Android devices since they are becoming popular because people know that Apple products arn't reliable at these places.

In the end this is just another perfect example of the problems created by Apples iron grip on what you are allowed to do and the costs of them selling part of that control to ATT. Seems this wouldn't have been a problem had they not forced people to use WiFi.

I'm going to leave that alone, you're clearly retarded.

Let me translate that: you clearly lost your argument so you are going to just go with baseless personal attacks. Are you trying to tell me that 2.4ghz range WiFi is somehow going to fill up the bandwidth of 5ghz WiFi? Are you also going to tell me that many "retarded" people have discussion about the saturation of 2.4 and 5ghz range WiFi?

Your android hotspot of myfi whatever bullshit

Is "android hotspot of myfi whatever bullshit" some kind of relic in some SciFi universe version of Advanced Dungeon and Dragons?

"I use my "android hotspot of myfi whatever bullshit" to connect to the mainframe"

*Sigh* For the last time, guys, you test the room's wifi with the Reality Distortion Field ON!

Seemed plenty of bloggers were still getting there posts out just fine. The fact that much of the stuff filling the frequency range were these "bullshit" Android devices since they are becoming popular because people know that Apple products arn't reliable at these places.

In the end this is just another perfect example of the problems created by Apples iron grip on what you are allowed to do and the costs of them selling part of that control to ATT. Seems this wouldn't have been a problem had they not forced people to use WiFi.

Uh no. Bloggers with half a brain use 3G (or 4G) to post blogs and news articles, not a choked up Wifi link. Android phones will have the same problem as an iPhone in this exact situation. Jobs' only failures were not using a dedicated WAP for his presentation. He could just use 3G or 4G, but then he would not be able to show off Wifi-capable features, such as video chat.

iPhone reliability has nothing to do with this situation at all.

The SPECTRUM was saturated. You could have a million APs in the area and this would still happen. Wifi radio spectrum can only carry so much data at once.

Although that is certainly possible, I don't think its true. Specifically, BOTH iPhone 3GSes were able to quickly connect and load NY times, yet neither of the two iPhone 4s sitting maybe 3 inches away were able to connect or load NY Times.

Could the 2.4ghz have been saturated? Absolutely. Was it? Doesn't look like it. It looks like the iPhone 4's "revolutionary" antennae band sucked ass. Which isn't surprising.

Uh no. Bloggers with half a brain use 3G (or 4G) to post blogs and news articles, not a choked up Wifi link. Android phones will have the same problem as an iPhone in this exact situation. Jobs' only failures were not using a dedicated WAP for his presentation. He could just use 3G or 4G, but then he would not be able to show off Wifi-capable features, such as video chat.

iPhone reliability has nothing to do with this situation at all.

Which is why I said the real issue here is Apple's iron grip and that they sold out there decision making to ATT. If they weren't controlling what you could do on WiFi and what you could do on 3G this would not have been a problem. Android does not have this problem so it will not have the same problem in the same situtation.

Funny how the specifics always get changed by the Apple legion to fit the situation. You can make a phone call and access the internet over WiFi, but when the Droid came out the talking point was how you couldn't do both at the same time over a phone network. Google also didn't sell all there decision making out to Verizon either so of course its possible to get an Android device that can do both at the same time over a cell network.

Although that is certainly possible, I don't think its true. Specifically, BOTH iPhone 3GSes were able to quickly connect and load NY times, yet neither of the two iPhone 4s sitting maybe 3 inches away were able to connect or load NY Times.

Could the 2.4ghz have been saturated? Absolutely. Was it? Doesn't look like it. It looks like the iPhone 4's "revolutionary" antennae band sucked ass. Which isn't surprising.

But it worked when ev1 turned their stuff off. Soooo.

It could also be a firmware issue. Maybe a simple fix; maybe not.

But it worked when ev1 turned their stuff off. Soooo.

1) Correlation != Causation. Did everyone turning off their wifi actually solve the problem? Maybe, maybe not.

2) A weak antennae could easily be drowned out in a sea of devices but work when the spectrum is clear. That still makes it a problem of the antennae design. Apple doesn't exactly have a good history of making good antennas - quite the opposite, really. Although they do love to blame everything but their shoddy antennas for the problem.

Back