Steve Jobs To Grace US Postage Stamp In 2015

HardOCP News

[H] News
Steve Jobs on a postage stamp in 2015? I guess that isn't so weird, we are also getting Peanuts, Johnny Carson and another Elvis stamp too.

The approved subjects include many more traditional historical, cultural and literary figures that have long been the hallmark of the stamp program. But the financially strapped service is embarking on a new path now to increase revenue and attract young collectors, one more heavily tilted toward popular subjects.

As long as there are other ridiculous people on stamps I guess I'm OK with it.

kinda funny - stick a man who (to some -- not me) could be said to have changed the world with his hilter-esque style of running things and fancy gadgets that cost 2X what they should.

.... and put him on the most antiquated and dying form of communication that's out there.

HAH

I had no idea they took stamps so seriously. They make it sound as if it's as important as the Declaration of Independence.

Apparently, they refuse to put John Lennon on a stamp because he's not American. Hilarious.

Who gives a fuck? Does anyone care if Bill Gates, Mickey Mouse, Iron Man, Wall-E, or Vault Boy is on a stamp?

If they want to do it right they'll have to jack up the price on it specifically. ;)

That and claim the stamp has "spectacular new innovations" that were actually around long before their marketing people made it into a main selling feature. I can actually picture an Apple commercial for their "innovative" stamp glue.:p

Love him or hate him, he's an American icon.

I wonder if the stamp will be $599...

it will require a 2 year contract with the USPS
and use iTunes to print out stamps from Home computer
and You're sticking it wrong!

but seriously, the typical Apple users probably don't use stamps/snail mail often, if at all

The way the USPS is going -- that's not out of the realm of possibility here in a few years.

I'd be willing to bet a large majority of the apple fan base has never even send a physical letter (all the kiddies, tweens, and whatnot) have no idea what snail mail is.

without him we would probably all still be rocking those sexy cream colored PC's lol

From http://www.ehow.com/list_6006265_requirements-postage-stamp.html

Individuals
The USPS and the CSAC only consider honoring deceased individuals on stamps. With the exception of U.S. presidents, the organizations do not consider subject proposals until at least two years following the subject's passing. Furthermore, any such stamp will not appear earlier than five years after the person's death. Deceased U.S. presidents remain the lone exception to the five-year rule; the USPS may issue a memorial stamp honoring the individual on his first birthday following his death.

The debut of a commemorative stamp (or postal stationery items) honoring all other individuals will usually coincide with an anniversary of the person's birth. For example, the USPS issued the Elvis Presley commemorative stamp on January 8, 1993, the 58th anniversary of Presley's birth.

Going by this criteria, a Jobs stamp shouldn't be released until Feb 24, 2017. Not sure if the "how long have they been dead" rule is concrete as I found on the USPS a few references to a person having to be dead 10 years but it seems the rules may have been changed in 2011.. http://www.linns.com/news/postal-news/149/USPS-modifies-stamp-selection-criteria

The newest version also avoids any mention of living people being placed on U.S. stamps or how long an individual must be dead before they can be placed on a U.S. stamp.

It's the Government.. they don't need no stickin' rules!!

Will the back of the stamp taste like shit when you lick it?

Will they TM how it is affixed to a letter?

How about if another stamp comes out with rounded corners?

Can we have a crApple stamp also?

LOL! But in all seriousness, because he is an icon for the left and died near his peak of relevance, it is very likely that the mythology around Steve Jobs will become very pronounced with time, where future generations will be led to believe that he was a technical genius having invented so many new technologies that transformed the world... which of course is completely divorced from reality since he was quite technically incompetent and just loved taking credit for the work of the actual engineers and designers and technology already invented by competing businesses.

Take Abraham Lincoln for example, liberals have turned a white supremecist that and leading member of the ACS that championed the end of slavery as a means to stop the spread of blacks in North America and invested large amounts of effort sponsoring bills to deport freed slaves to the Carribean, Panama, and Libera with the goal of replacing them with white laborers and preventing intermixing of races, as a great civil rights leader that would have allowed a black man to marry his daughter.... a man who made quotes like this, that are never heard of in school rooms thanks to the false icon liberals have turned him in to:
"If we turn 200,000 armed Negroes in the South, among their former owners, from whom we have taken their arms, it will inevitably lead to a race war. It cannot be done. The Negroes must be gotten rid of." - Abraham Lincoln

"There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races ... A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas ..." - Abraham Lincoln

"Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man." - Abraham Lincoln

"In the language of Mr. Jefferson, uttered many years ago, "It is still in our power to direct the process of emancipation, and deportation, peaceably, and in such slow degrees, as that the evil will wear off insensibly; and in their places be, pari passu [on an equal basis], filled up by free white laborers." - Abraham Lincoln

"I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position." - Abraham Lincoln

And apologists that will say that in spite of this that he just said it pandering to a white crowd, will recall that in one of his few speeches actually addressed to the black population he essentially just tried to guilt trip them into saying they should show their appreciation for being freed and have a moral obligation for essentially being to blame for the death of so many white men to leave the United States for their ancestral home in Africa.... luckily they ignored him and probably whispered to themselves that he should go suck an egg, since Liberia has one of the lowest GDP's per capita in the entire world.

But if there is one thing the lefties are good at, its rewriting history and creating icons out of flawed people.

I'd be willing to bet a large majority of the apple fan base has never even send a physical letter (all the kiddies, tweens, and whatnot) have no idea what snail mail is.

That will be the irony of the situation, stamp of icon of product that will not be used by those who idolize him :D

That said, he's an American who did change the face of mobile computing sure someone else may have done it first, but just like the US Patent system it's not who does it first but who gets the patent first and sues you to make them seem first :)

That said, he's an American who did change the face of mobile computing sure someone else may have done it first, but just like the US Patent system it's not who does it first but who gets the patent first and sues you to make them seem first :)
Yup, like the Nikola Teslas vs the Thomas Jeffersons of the world.... :p

It will be called the iStamp, prepare for a patent dispute with the USPS over this, because it's rectangular in shape, has sharp 90 degree corners, and you have to lick it to stick it features like the iStamp:D

Bill Gates has done more for humanity then Jobs, but you will never see him on a stamp.

It will be called the iStamp, prepare for a patent dispute with the USPS over this, because it's rectangular in shape, has sharp 90 degree corners, and you have to lick it to stick it features like the iStamp:D

:p

I also noticed that two of the alarm clocks in my house share a similar design yet are different brands. Those red LCD numbers looks awfully similar too...

How come Wozniak is not on a stamp? He's the true engineer that gave birth to Apple.

Hey, he discovered lightning with a kite and key. Before him, there was no lightning. so there.
He was making fun of me for blurting out Jefferson instead of Edison... no edit button to hide my shame. In my defense, I was committing carbicide in addition to probably 5000mg of salt hitting my brain from a huge order of tacobell at the time I was typing that. Mmmm, chile cheese burritos.... *lights a match* :D

Maybe if he ate an apple a day it would have helped him. Instead of what could have been we got a dictator who treated everyone like the skids and had an early grave.

To be completely honest, he likely lived longer than he would have "back in the day." Back in the day because his inventions near the turn of the 21st century are often compared with the inventors forged by the turn of the 20th. I see a lot of people here comparing his methods to that of Hitler's, and to be honest he was a bit of a fascist and his true legacy is applying that to a modern technology company. Businesses are a natural extension of state-hood, that is to say in a globalized environment they become like nation-states themselves, and it was inevitable that one would approach design as a fascinito and become popular for it. Technology companies trail the history of nations...and it's why Amazon is developing its own mailing system when the USPS is dying.

So I suppose you could say that Steve jobs was to Apple and the iPhone as hitler was to Germany and the Volkswagen beetle.

hilter-esque style of running things
Jobs didn't try to exterminate groups of people or take over countries through use or threat of use of force. Use your analogies wisely.

Speaking of his mean streak, it reminds me of an apocryphal comment one Apple employee asked, noting his bad temper directed at employees: "If Steve Jobs is Zen Buddhist, how bad would he be otherwise?"

On topic, has Jobs done enough to be honored on a stamp? I think so. It seems a little too soon though.

Jobs didn't try to exterminate groups of people or take over countries through use or threat of use of force.

Where have you been? Have you heard of his threats of going 'thermonuclear' with patent trolling and trying to kill competition and consumer choice? Apple is nothing more than a Dell as they didn't create any new technology but merely thrown a recipe of technology created by others into a product.

That comment is too dumb to even waste time easily ripping it apart.

I forget the 12 year olds stop by [H] after school. :rolleyes: Why else would there be such idiotic comments about Apple every time there's a thread? Immaturity seems to be the likeliest reason.

Just because you're a blind fanboy doesn't make it less true. Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple, has the same opinion and I've owned Apple products since the 80s.

Where have you been? Have you heard of his threats of going 'thermonuclear' with patent trolling and trying to kill competition and consumer choice? Apple is nothing more than a Dell as they didn't create any new technology but merely thrown a recipe of technology created by others into a product.
You're disagreeing with a comment that said "Jobs didn't try to exterminate groups of people or take over countries through use or threat of use of force".

Do you believe that Steve Jobs committed genocide and took over countries?

Back