Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple

I've never had to use iTunes, so I can't tell you feature for feature what's exactly equivalent. Just that there are a ton of media managers out there with every option you can imagine. I did come off as rude, my bad.

It's ok, these kinds of threads have that effect.
I know there are media managers out there, I've used Songbird and liked it, but what else out there has the content selection that iTunes can offer?

I have the HP tablet, it's still awesome. Just expensive for it's time because of the hardware inside. Innovative though? Hell yes. In fact I'd be willing to bet the HP TC1000/1100 served as a lot of inspiration for Apple, for it's time it was an amazing feat of engineering.

That thing is 8 years old and no one had made any effort to improve on it. No one is saying Apple invented the concept. They were just the first to try to make it not a piece of shit. And the competition hasn't been able to mimic that success.

tablet pre-iPad

HP-Compaq-TC11001.jpg

iPad

ipad-sales.jpg

Tablets post-iPad

android-tablets_04.jpg

It certianly looks that way

Gotta love the cherry picked photos, here it is minus the detachable keyboard.

GPnv7.jpg

You want to talk innovation, what does Apple have that's equivalent to that feat of engineering in terms of using real computer hardware? In 2003 when this guy was made?

That thing is 8 years old and no one had made any effort to improve on it. No one is saying Apple invented the concept. They were just the first to try to make it not a piece of shit. And the competition hasn't been able to mimic that success.

No, that's exactly what they're saying while ignoring that the competition has in fact made products equally as good for those of us not wearing Apple blinders.

Before the ipad, you're right, none of these would have been built, because they would've been considered too useless to bother assembling. Now, thanks to the ipad you have things like this. Thank you so much Apple for taking the average computing device backwards 8 years.

This is where Windows 8 has a real shot at successes. More and more even from average computers users I see people complaining about the limitations of tablets. If Microsoft can execute well and create OS that is a jack of all trades and good at most of them and there's good hardware that's roughly the same cost as locked down a mobile OS tablet then Windows 8 will do very well. The key will be the hardware and it looks like Microsoft is paying extra special attention to hardware with the release of Windows 8.

That's opinion. For every Apple product that's launched I've known and recommended superior products with less restrictions. Oh wait, are we talking about "things that are pretty"? Apple always wins the pretty contest, but I prefer that in women. :D

Oh I didn't realize that Apple invented ARM and all the technology that went inside the iPad! ...

If they had invented all of the technology involved, then sure I'd give it to them. But they didn't, they just packaged it up and sold it to their fanatical followers.

Who said they invented ARM? :confused:

Did HP invent the stylus? the keyboard? So why was their tabelt so innovative (when it was really just a touch screen laptop with a swivle screen) but Apples isn't because they didn't 'invent the hardware'? Apple did, however, put the total package together (as did HP) and deisgned an OS and SDK to make the user experience better than it was before it.

I give up... the only thing worse than a fanboy (of anything, IMO) is the rabid anti-apple trolls on this forum

I'll leave you with some food for thought... at the time this survey was taken, 51% of the iPad market was owned by PC users running Windows. But if you insist, yeah... only mac zealots are buying it :rolleyes:

head%20in%20sand.jpg

As much as Id like to see apple fail.. it prolly wont.

It takes genius like SJ to pull a company from the brink to top dog.

It doesnt however take the same genius to run a company that already has majority market in its realm.

It truly saddens me when discussions on the World of Warcraft forums are more civilized than the [H]ard|Forum.

Regardless of your viewpoint is on the man, the company, or the products the fact that some people in this show a complete lack of respect for fellow forum members and appear to be clueless when it comes to the [H]ard|Forum Rules is quite troubling to me.

Apple and Jobs provided products that meet the needs of their customers. The fact that some people on these forums do not have a need for those products does not diminish the fact that while maybe not a technical innovators, they made products that the average person would want and were able to use.

That's opinion. For every Apple product that's launched I've known and recommended superior products with less restrictions. Oh wait, are we talking about "things that are pretty"? Apple always wins the pretty contest, but I prefer that in women. :D

Ok, what is better than the iPad at $500 that came out before the iPad?

i only work on windows/linux machines and i own an iphone, and i'm actually rather happy with it.

this morning as i was riding my bicycle i hit a bump and my 3GS was thrown from its cradle mount and slammed into the pavement at around 20mph - i feared for my little friend but when i turned around it lie in the grass only with a few minor scratches and without a cracked screen.

It truly saddens me when discussions on the World of Warcraft forums are more civilized than the [H]ard|Forum.

Regardless of your viewpoint is on the man, the company, or the products the fact that some people in this show a complete lack of respect for fellow forum members and appear to be clueless when it comes to the [H]ard|Forum Rules is quite troubling to me.

Apple and Jobs provided products that meet the needs of their customers. The fact that some people on these forums do not have a need for those products does not diminish the fact that while maybe not a technical innovators, they made products that the average person would want and were able to use.

What is saddening is mini-mods. :(

Did HP invent the stylus? the keyboard? So why was their tabelt so innovative (when it was really just a touch screen laptop with a swivle screen) but Apples isn't because they didn't 'invent the hardware'? Apple did, however, put the total package together (as did HP) and deisgned an OS and SDK to make the user experience better than it was before it.

I give up... the only thing worse than a fanboy (of anything, IMO) is the rabid anti-apple trolls on this forum

I'll leave you with some food for thought... at the time this survey was taken, 51% of the iPad market was owned by PC users running Windows. But if you insist, yeah... only mac zealots are buying it :rolleyes:

head%20in%20sand.jpg

But but but Apple invented everything, they pioneered everything, blah blah blah we would be using huge box computers still if it werent for them because they invented it all! That's basically the translation of all the dumb things being said here. It's the different between those that create and those that direct. Apple didn't create anything, they took what others created and found ways to market it well (directed). I think we all agree on that. But that they are some kind of technology genius and where would we be without them? Lol.

head%20in%20sand.jpg

Not to mention what I see in my commute almost everyday: iPad owners with Android or Blackberry phones.
Ecosystem + execution is what Apple does well that everyone else does not. Without it, they are just another tech company. Probably a struggling one at that.

Ahh, but the rules don't seem to apply to this thread, else they'd be enforced, wouldn't they?

Love him or hate him, just the amount of discussion itself validates Steve Job's significance, influence, and impact on the industry and society. :)

Wow! This thread was fun reading. Never met Steve Jobs. To me he always looked like a scientist conducting an experiment. He was trying to establish what was the percentage of stupid people in the population. The answer to that experiment is that the percentage is rather large and increasing, and is represented by all the buyers of his products...

With all the news, Twitter, RSS feeds, email, sites... It's like Steve Jobs, the Apple icon that no one can replace, had died. Sad, really. I'm not a fan, but he really was a marketing genius. Definitely not the technical genius people peg him as.

Wow! This thread was fun reading. Never met Steve Jobs. To me he always looked like a scientist conducting an experiment. He was trying to establish what was the percentage of stupid people in the population. The answer to that experiment is that the percentage is rather large and increasing, and is represented by all the buyers of his products...

Got any research on this claim? People are stupid for buying Macbooks, ipods, iphones, ipads? Really?

IMO, a lot of the Apple hate appears to be coming from PC fanboys. It is just as foolish to be a PC fanboy as it is to be a fanboy for a specific console, gpu maker, etc. Why would any computer enthusiast limit themselves to only one platform? IMO a true computer enthusiasts is one who uses computers from all platforms. Apple does some things well and PC does some things well.

Not very [H]and if you artificially limit yourself to one specific platform.

Ok, what is better than the iPad at $500 that came out before the iPad?

As for pure slate computers, for basic consumptive tasks nothing really. I think that comparing a convertible laptop with a digital pen and an iPad isn't exactly the best comparison, the two device really aren't mutually exclusive. Obviously the iPad is a touch first first light weight low power consumption device that's very good a lot of things but not so much others that a convertible tablet is much better at and vice versa though they both have a good deal of overlapping capability.

And lookie here, this iPad looks a LOT like my x220t convertible Tablet PC.

iPad-Keyboard-Case.jpg

tablet pre-iPad

HP-Compaq-TC11001.jpg
Yes, Pre-Ipad tablets were attempting to replicate a laptop's power and compatibility with a massive catalog of compatible Windows apps.

Dur dur-dur. Now your tablet can't even view half the shit on the web (lest we forget the original Ipad did not support flash in any way). Much less run real desktop apps on your mobile device. Apple has been a massive negative influence on the pace of technological innovation from day 1. Dumbing things down, and treating their incompatibilities with anything else as a fucking feature. Truly, an amazing marketing achievement, but technologically? The Ipad had less power than many phones of it's day.

Tablets post-iPad

android-tablets_04.jpg

It certianly looks that way
Before the ipad, you're right, none of these would have been built, because they would've been considered too useless to bother assembling. Now, thanks to the ipad you have things like this. Thank you so much Apple for taking the average computing device backwards 8 years.

Yes, Pre-Ipad tablets were attempting to replicate a laptop's power and compatibility with a massive catalog of compatible Windows apps.

Dur dur-dur. Now your tablet can't even view half the shit on the web (lest we forget the original Ipad did not support flash in any way). Much less run real desktop apps on your mobile device. Apple has been a massive negative influence on the pace of technological innovation from day 1. Dumbing things down, and treating their incompatibilities with anything else as a fucking feature. Truly, an amazing marketing achievement, but technologically? The Ipad had less power than many phones of it's day.

Yeah, but this shit tablets OS functionality is what's so backwards. This shit couldn't replace a netbooks if you're doing more than just surf the web and play crappy games.

IMO, a lot of the Apple hate appears to be coming from PC fanboys. It is just as foolish to be a PC fanboy as it is to be a fanboy for a specific console, gpu maker, etc. Why would any computer enthusiast limit themselves to only one platform? IMO a true computer enthusiasts is one who uses computers from all platforms. Apple does some things well and PC does some things well.

Maybe if Apple:

1) Didn't grossly overcharge for their products (see Macbooks, Mac Pros, etc.)
2) Didn't try to control how their products are used with an iron fist, (see iOS lockdown, OS X only on Apple hardware, etc.)
3) Didn't thumb their noses at anyone who isn't a member of the cult, (see "I'm a Mac" ads)
4) Didn't always overemphasize form over function (Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Mini, etc)

Maybe I'd give them a fair shot.

I'll stop trolling macfags for a moment.

Why are you here? This forum is dedicated to people who know stuff about computers. Why do you have to defend your beloved brand at all costs, even in communities not targeted to you at all?

Again, this is not a troll to catch fanboys like my previous post, but a genuine question.

I don't live in a black and white world like you do. I enjoy Apple and PC products.

Fuck yes I hate that fucker, and his over priced crap products in glossy packages that make people who have no fucking clue buy his trash!.

This is great news I hope his company drowns in it's own filth like it did in the 90's

Android linux and windows OS produsct from here on out.

and of course custom built powerful low cost Pc's.

so if I have a Nexus S for a phone, a MBP for my main computer, an iPad for general surfing, and a Win7 rig for my HTPC/fileserver, I'm stupid?

Man this place has gone down hill the last few years. Pardon me while I go back to enjoying life and not giving a shit what others use for gadgets/computing.

so if I have a Nexus S for a phone, a MBP for my main computer, an iPad for general surfing, and a Win7 rig for my HTPC/fileserver, I'm stupid?

Man this place has gone down hill the last few years. Pardon me while I go back to enjoying life and not giving a shit what others use for gadgets/computing.

lol amen my friend.

That is why both camps are wrong in their criticism.

I have an iPad2 and I love it, but I've been a PC builder for over 20 years
and I'm not giving that up either. My systems can keep up with the best of
you here in [H].

What is unfortunate is that we should embrace both sides, cause if
we only look to one or the other, were losing a lot of tech breakthroughs.

I thought [H] was about the tech, not the platform, guess I was wrong.

You children that want to rant for your "side" are foolish idiots.

No you aren't stupid because you realize there are alternatives and you don't seem to be blindly trumpeting Apple. The majority of this is in response to those people. It's reactionary, non-Apple people don't generally seek out Apple people to antagonize. They just get fed up with people shoving Apple shit in their faces 24/7 as if THEY were idiots for not buying it, and just finally blow up.

That is why both camps are wrong in their criticism.

I have an iPad2 and I love it, but I've been a PC builder for over 20 years
and I'm not giving that up either. My systems can keep up with the best of
you here in [H].

What is unfortunate is that we should embrace both sides, cause if
we only look to one or the other, were losing a lot of tech breakthroughs.

I thought [H] was about the tech, not the platform, guess I was wrong.

You children that want to rant for your "side" are foolish idiots.

I think the iPad is great too. Except when others won't shut up about showing off their status symbol, won't stop trying to compare it to my tablet that I'm just quietly using, AND most annoyingly of all people keep asking if my tablet is an iPad. It's just a constant reminder of how annoying Apple is. My boss couldn't get why I didn't want an iPhone, and it was like I had to explain my inferior reasons and justify my logic for wanting something better. If the Apple crowd doesn't like it, they can change their attitudes/mentality. I have zero issue with Apple products in general, though they are still not my choice for technology.

Have you been to crApple forums? You either get banned, posts removed or shit on by stupid fanboys for starting a thread stating pros and CONS about the product. You get stupid fanboys attacking you at all angle with personal attack instead of a solid logical discussion. They think their products is flawless and magical. They are the BIGGEST idiots and hypocrite.

I've been using and building PCs for many years. With that said I won't be replacing my desktop with an iMac or Mac Pro anytime soon but on the flip side my 13" MBP won't get replaced by a PC notebook either.

You guys can call them overpriced but at the time I bought it (Oct. 2009) there weren't any comparable PCs with as solid of body, high quality 16:10 screen (okay the glossy part sucks since the 15" & 17" now get a matte to order option but PCs are the same now) and extremely long lasting battery life. I'm not using my MBP to play Crysis, Metro 2033 or any other of the latest game but for traveling where I need a computer and not a tablet or smartphone it just doesn't compare to the other notebooks I own or have used. I missed out on getting a PC with new at the time mobile i5 or i7 cpus and some faster/better graphics that either had plastic bodies, 16:9 displays or very poor battery life.

To each their own but it is childish to say Apple products are overpriced because YOU think so. They are worth it to some, which is why they are so profitable. The marketing does help with some sales but people wouldn't keep buying the new products if they didn't meet their expectations the first time.

Fuck yes I hate that fucker, and his over priced crap products in glossy packages that make people who have no fucking clue buy his trash!.

This is great news I hope his company drowns in it's own filth like it did in the 90's

Android linux and windows OS produsct from here on out.

and of course custom built powerful low cost Pc's.

7pIBI.jpg

Back