Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple

Wow some of the hate in this thread. [H] community has gone downhill a good bit :/

Thinking the same thing here.

Even if you dont like Apple, the man himself did a great job.
I would say the same for anyone at Microsoft.

The man is sick, give him a break.

That doesn't make it any less of a true statement. Not that Jobs was altruistic towards it in any way, I agree.

So you hate him for making computers easy enough for you to use?

Nope, I dislike the company for it's marketing and the blind fanatical devotion of the followers. I was genuine when I said thanks for the innovations. Apple has completely changed the market time and time again and its competition has forced the rest of the industry to innovate in order to stay relevant.

i said Apple gets credit for accelerating the market, not inventing it. lets not blow these things out of proportion. apple pushed before anyone else wanted to and they have been handsomly rewarded for it.

i dont know why you would think these types of products would not have happened otherwise. Apple isnt the only company out there that was looking in this direction. again, Apple jumped first, but the idea was something that i believe would have been developed with or without Apple. just at a later date.

IMO the market would have shifted there eventually. It may not have happened as fast as it did and wouldnt have had the amount of competition it does but with touch screens and flash memory getting cheaper and cheaper it was inevitable that someone shift the tablet market in that direction.

So you guys are ok with the tech industry moving slowly? "Just at a later date" I suppose is good enough for you, but not for me or a lot of others. There needs to be a company that keeps a fire under the asses of all the complacent companies out there. The iPad still practically has no rival. "Eventually", heh.

That doesn't make it any less of a true statement. Not that Jobs was altruistic towards it in any way, I agree.

Tech industry will be boring, or the tech will just "come around when it does", as noted by the gentlemen above.

So you guys are ok with the tech industry moving slowly? "Just at a later date" I suppose is good enough for you, but not for me or a lot of others. There needs to be a company that keeps a fire under the asses of all the complacent companies out there. The iPad still practically has no rival. "Eventually", heh.

The tech industry? You mean that industry that Apple makes up like 3% of?

All Apple is moving along is the mobile devices market which is only a tiny portion of the tech industry...:rolleyes:

Right, they have such a strong argument, clearly Google and Samsung copied their stuff verbatim...

tablet pre-iPad

HP-Compaq-TC11001.jpg

iPad

ipad-sales.jpg

Tablets post-iPad

android-tablets_04.jpg

It certianly looks that way

you all know we hate Steve because he made something so shitty so popular. deep down in side you wish we all had the skills to do that :p

I'm seeing more and more threads like this. Very few intelligent posts, and alot of useless rants by uneducated trolls. Steve turned the company around and made it innovative and successful. No one can deny that. Wishing death on a man you don't and probably will never know is sick and childish. I've seen like maybe 5 or 6 posts that showed any intelligence in the 13 pages I've read through so far. So, Kyle, Steve, anyone who's a moderator please close this thread. Enough is enough.

Funny how you don't post the picture of the pre-iPad tablet closed?

I mean FFS, LCD TVs have shared the same basic form factor for years, you don't see them suing each other claiming patent infringement because one TV looked kinda like another one. You don't see monitor companies doing it. :rolleyes:

Sci-fi has had the concept of a tablet for decades in TV and movies too. :rolleyes:

And at the end of the day, Honeycomb as an OS looks nothing like Apple's inferior, less functional iOS homescreens. And it does no one any good for Apple to be able to shut down competition based on it looking a little like Apple's design. :rolleyes:

1. Where did I say I liked a slow pace? Did I say that it was 'ok' or that it was good enough. Try not to jump to conclusions. Its like you thought I was putting Apple down or something.

2. Ill make my point again. I believe that there are other companies out there that could have found that drive, such as Google, I also believe Apple should get credit as the company to make the competition move alot faster by really evolving these platforms (tablets and phones) into mainstream devices, making great improvements along the way. Notice each time, Ive said Apple deserves the credit, but apparently all you see is Apple bashing.

Tech industry will be boring, or the tech will just "come around when it does", as noted by the gentlemen above.

You really misunderstood my post, becuase thats exactly NOT what I was saying. My point was that Apple isnt the only company out there innovating and if Apple hadnt been around, I cant shake the feeling that someone else would have evolved that market. The ideas that Apple evolved into mainstream products have been around for a long time. A combination of great marketing and great hardware/software by Apple has suddenly put these devices into the mainstream mindset, which is a great thing for the industry.

Everyone is rejoicing over this but I think all the Apple hate is really dumb. Apple is the one pushing innovation nowadays while the PC market races to the bottom.

I'm seeing more and more threads like this. Very few intelligent posts, and alot of useless rants by uneducated trolls. Steve turned the company around and made it innovative and successful. No one can deny that. Wishing death on a man you don't and probably will never know is sick and childish. I've seen like maybe 5 or 6 posts that showed any intelligence in the 13 pages I've read through so far. So, Kyle, Steve, anyone who's a moderator please close this thread. Enough is enough.

Why would they, the daily Apple trolls in this subforum should make it obvious where their sympathies lie. And as we hear so many times, it's not our forum, so if we don't like it, GTFO.

What's ironic and amusing is how many other arguments here are refuted by "FREE MARKET! SUPPLY & DEMAND!"--except when it comes to Apple's pricing scheme. It's okay to spend twice the amount of money on a GPU for a few more FPS, but god help us if non-technical people spend money on Apples and subsequently go on to enjoy the product. Calling Apple users elitists is about as ironic as it gets.

Apple products have always been horrendously overpriced for their performance, their secrecy and ruthless control of their product nearly caused their own downfall, and frankly, their software and design sucks as soon as you get past the easy-to-use interface (try moving tunes from an iPod to a PC. They're also anticompetitive as hell, fuck them for removing the Kindle store.)

On the other hand, they were the first major release of $0.99 MP3's (when Sony and other RIAA companies were pushing $1.99-3.99 prices per song.) And it's not exactly like anyone other than perhaps Amazon is effectively competing with the iTunes store. Their products are easily adopted and (on the surface) easy to use by anyone, and they've been a major factor driving the handheld industry. Apple's not all bad and Jobs was, is and hopefully will be a big part of that.

Apple products are nothing I prefer to use but when the wife want an ipad, she isn't going to get some PITA handheld that I need to spend hours training her on and troubleshooting, she's going to get an ipad.

tablet pre-iPad

What are you talking about?
The form factor of a "tablet PC" was firmly established long before the iPad.
This was in various iterations from other companies; not necessarily targeted to the general public.

The iPad looks the way it does because that form factor and size was the winning combination. It would have been a FLOP if it was an inch thick.

Your argument is kind of like Henry Ford suing auto auto companies because their cars are the same "form factor" as his model T.
Ford didn't invent the automobile. It was around for a long time before him. BUT, Ford was able to mass produce it and make it cheap enough for many to afford.
To most people at the time an automobile was a model-T. That is because it was the most mass produced and probably the cheapest.

This was in various iterations from other companies; not necessarily targeted to the general public.

The iPad looks the way it does because that form factor and size was the winning combination. It would have been a FLOP if it was an inch thick.

Talk is cheap. Apple delivered.

I am not a huge apple fan, I don't have an ipod, iphone, ipad or own a Mac, but that does not mean I can't appreciate some of their designs. That I can not learn from their designs and see how they could improve the entire industry.(I am a reasonable pixar fan)

Like or Dislike Apple, I really feel they help move the industry forward by show how profitable design useful products can be. I do like the vision, but dislike the predatory legalities of it all. One platform for TVs, Mobile devices and pcs which handle the simple communication tasks and our media needs is not bad. Buy an app or media once and play it anywhere. Many firms are working towards this but very few seem to have it all together. Firms have made better parts but then tend to miss the overall vision or have trouble pulling it off for various reasons. People simply want an easy affordable way to consumer media content and save time in their busy lives. Anyways that seems to me the goal Apple has been slowly working towards. While I don't like everything they have done, I am glad they are pushing towards it, while most other firms seem clueless.

Anyways I hope he recovers as I think the world would not be as fun without him.

I'm not just talking about the general (thin) form factor. I'm also talking about making it small and light enough that your average consumer wouldn't mind carrying it around including, but not limited to, using flash based storage opposed to a mechanical drive common pre-iPad.

They used a top notch IPS screen opposed to the standard mobile TN, used an OS and 3rd party apps specifically designed and tailored to a touch based capacitive touch input opposed to shoehorning a desktop OS and 3rd party software onto it, used ARM based mobile processors instead of desktop/laptop grade hardware that would require either a HEAVY battery or constant recharging to make it a truely mobile device and the list goes on.

If you can't see where they strayed from the pack and made it their own, then I don't know what to tell you. The iPad is nothing like it's predecessors, but it is all too similar to it's followers

Delivered what, exactly? Yet another product locked in to the shitty iTunes infrastructure? No thanks!

Delivered a product that sells in MILLIONS netting BILLIONS of profits.

A successful product. I'm sorry if you're not one of the targeted audience of the said product. There are still lots of other people out there that is willing to pay the Apple tax. :D

Delivered a product that sells in MILLIONS netting BILLIONS of profits.

A successful product. I'm sorry if you're not one of the targeted audience of the said product. There are still lots of other people out there that is willing to pay the Apple tax. :D

Popular != good.

Lets see.

There were mp3 players before the iPod but they were all shitty.
There were tablets before the iPad but they as well were all shitty (mostly because before iOS, there were no good touch based OSes).
There were smart phones before the iPhone but none were engineered as well or as user friendly.
The unibody Macbook Pro is still one of the best designed laptops there is today and this is the third generation. Meanwhile Samsung made a good attempt at copying the design of the Macbook Air.

But somehow 90% of people look past this and agree that Apple has contributed zero to the industry. :rolleyes:

I believe that would be a requirement for a Chairman of the Board.

EDIT (since I cannot edit the previous post) I don't know that owning a majority of shares is necessary, just owning shares, probably a minimum percentage of the company. I don't know what SJ's percentage of ownership is.

Talk is cheap. Apple delivered.

I'm not just talking about the general (thin) form factor. I'm also talking about making it small and light enough that your average consumer wouldn't mind carrying it around including, but not limited to, using flash based storage opposed to a mechanical drive common pre-iPad.

They used a top notch IPS screen opposed to the standard mobile TN, used an OS and 3rd party apps specifically designed and tailored to a touch based capacitive touch input opposed to shoehorning a desktop OS and 3rd party software onto it, used ARM based mobile processors instead of desktop/laptop grade hardware that would require either a HEAVY battery or constant recharging to make it a truely mobile device and the list goes on.

If you can't see where they strayed from the pack and made it their own, then I don't know what to tell you. The iPad is nothing like it's predecessors, but it is all too similar to it's followers

Oh I didn't realize that Apple invented ARM and all the technology that went inside the iPad! So all that stuff was just sitting on shelves doing nothing, waiting for some visionary to come along and find the exact magical combination to fit it all together while all of the other tablets sat in the corner saying "Why can't we be thin and light?" :( Oh that's right, they didn't. Apple took a smartphone and made it bigger, WOW INNOVATION. It paid off, good job. But they are hardly the pioneers everyone makes them out to be.

If they had invented all of the technology involved, then sure I'd give it to them. But they didn't, they just packaged it up and sold it to their fanatical followers.

Delivered what, exactly? Yet another product locked in to the shitty iTunes infrastructure? No thanks!

I'm curious as to what you suggest as a better alternative, apples to apples, to iTunes.

Lets see.

There were mp3 players before the iPod but they were all shitty.
There were tablets before the iPad but they as well were all shitty (mostly because before iOS, there were no good touch based OSes).
There were smart phones before the iPhone but none were engineered as well or as user friendly.
The unibody Macbook Pro is still one of the best designed laptops there is today and this is the third generation. Meanwhile Samsung made a good attempt at copying the design of the Macbook Air.

But somehow 90% of people look past this and agree that Apple has contributed zero to the industry. :rolleyes:

I've never wanted an Apple product, and that desire grows just about every time Apple is mentioned in the limelight. This is not out of some fanatical anti-Apple sentiment, I just think their stuff is restrictive and shit. So yeah, they have contributed zero to me and all of the others that feel the same way. In fact, they've contributed negatively with all the shit we put up with from Apple fools and all the ridiculous litigation.

oh, and not just that... but they also launched it at a price point that it's predecessors couldn't touch. $500.00 for an entry level tablet computer is a bargain... especially considering the user experience you get from it versus that of previous tablets.

I'm curious as to what you suggest as a better alternative, apples to apples, to iTunes.

Take your pick, there are hundreds of them out there. Oh wait, you can't piock and choose with Apple. :p

What did HP, Dell, et al deliver pre-iPad? Nothing? No thanks!

I have the HP tablet, it's still awesome. Just expensive for it's time because of the hardware inside. Innovative though? Hell yes. In fact I'd be willing to bet the HP TC1000/1100 served as a lot of inspiration for Apple, for it's time it was an amazing feat of engineering.

Just as long as it took you to be rude you could have just written down the three you have installed.. I'm not trying to be confrontational I genuinely would like to know what a viable alternative to iTunes would be. It's not a tough question..
Because OldPueblo can't be bothered to help you with his own argument, I'll give you the Amazon Music Store as one example. That's the one fair one I can think of off the top of my head Some might consider Rhapsody to be an alternative as well.

However, it is unlikely that most of these services would have opened or gained traction if the iTunes Music Store had not paved the way. Apple had to do a lot of work to get the music industry to believe in the value of the format they sell; once that happened, it opened the door to Apple competitors.

Do your own research, I have like three installed right now.

Just as long as it took you to be rude you could have just written down the three you have installed.. I'm not trying to be confrontational I genuinely would like to know what a viable alternative to iTunes would be. It's not a tough question..

Personally I liked the Zune store; the GUI and browsing seemed much more friendly than iTunes (I absolutely hate the navigation and browser of it). I also could play my media in Win Media player, so when I had parties or whatever, I could play tunes and put up visualizations on the TV.

I've never had to use iTunes, so I can't tell you feature for feature what's exactly equivalent. Just that there are a ton of media managers out there with every option you can imagine. I did come off as rude, my bad.

Back