Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple

What, because they were popular? Guess what other kinds of things are really popular and in no way related to intelligence, productivity, or anything good? I have never believed this, sorry. He sold a bunch of shit, good job (lol job).

iOS>WebOS>Android.

QFT.

I'm feeling pretty disgusted with [H] right now.

Good luck in your battle against cancer Mr Jobs.

Apple is probably the only sane PC hardware manufacturer out there, and for that they've been rewarded. Lets face it guys, the PC experience is terrible for anybody not registered on this forum. They buy their $600 HP, take it home, turn it on for the first time and are immediately asked to spend $XX on AV. It immediately wants to update (which either annoys the user or is ignored), and its got at least one piece of crapware that adds functionality they don't need and clutters up their experience. Things are alerting them, asking them for money, cluttering up their screen and all they want is to get on Facebook. This is even recognized by Microsoft (Signature PC's), and its resulted in a reaction so negative from consumers that the biggest PC hardware manufacturer is thinking about exiting the market. This is a company which made tens of billions of dollars in revenue, and mere hundreds of millions in profits this last quarter. When your moving that much hardware and making that little money, something's wrong.

Apple buys their parts from the same suppliers everybody else does. They buy the same caps, the same PCB's, the same x86 chips, the same controllers, the same drives... sometimes they buy nicer IPS panels. Sometimes they tweak their suppliers hardware, and they seldom engineer for the feature-lists the average consumer uses to make their choice at a best-buy (read: 7200rpm drive > 5400rpm drive right? 1TB > 128GB right? 3.2Ghz > 2.2Ghz right?). Apple's hardware is always very similar to what you can find in a laptop from any other hardware OEM. They use an OS which is at the very least as functional as the one everybody else uses. They put it all in a nice chassis, and they sell it at a nice profit. They don't sign contracts with McAfee to include trial-ware. They don't bundle Zinga trial games. What they sell you, they make money on. This isn't a for-cost part. This isn't a part designed to get market penetration. This isn't a part to attract developers. Its designed to sell for a profit.

That's it: make product for $X, sell product for $1.5X. That in itself is revolutionary thinking these days.

And you guys get all insulted over this? Is it your money?

And even if you disagree with everything I just said, even if I'm completely wrong and you love your screen that's mounted on a composite chassis rather than an aluminum one, and you love your Acer-Connect software, and that Zinga trial game has opened you up to a whole new world of flash games: there was still the damn iPhone!

This dude created a $60B+/yr industry (300 million units at $200/unit) in 5 years piratically from scratch. Call it over-zealous American consumerism, put it down to whatever you want but the fact is the iPhone is something millions of people wanted --and still want.

This rampant fanboyism has to stop. This is not an Lenovo board. This is forum for all hardware, macs included.

He's been incredibly good for that company and he's been good for this industry.

Mr Jobs, very few people will miss you personally but professionally you will be sorely missed.

One of the few genuinely intelligent posts in this troll-tastic thread.

I can't believe some of the things people here are saying. I am also surprised by the lack of moderation as well.

sad.

I wish Steve Jobs and his family the all best and would never wish cancer on anyone....

That being said I hope that proprietary, locked in, overpriced Apple co. goes down hard...They railed against the man then turned into him, only ten times worse.

A Mac user would say the Windows experience is not pleasant, as would a Windows user about Linux, as would a Linux users about Windows, and so on. It's just what you become accustomed to that typically makes you NOT like another product.

1 person would have died from not receiving the liver he did (unless these other only people required partial liver transplants), and he's a hypothetical murderer. Let's say he DID pay for that liver: The hospital could sure as hell use the money to help others. You blame Jobs as if he had the only involvement here. It's not exactly like he had was holding the hospital hostage for this liver...was he?

I thought the posts might calm down a bit, and perhaps veer back into a region of reason, but there's still way too many unnecessarily butt-hurt people in here. He's just a man. Sure he's made tons of money and products that have apparently ruined your 'lives' to it's very core (from the sounds of it), but in the end, he'll die like everyone else. Move on, or try looking into the mirror to find out why you can't.

What a weak argument, you're implying that I'm close minded because I can't like or adapt to something new or different. You would be wrong, I simply don't like MAC OS. I've spent my fair share of time using it and helping friends resolve their issues. I just prefer Windows and a PC that's affordable, I can build myself, maintain and an OS that has a wider range of software support, forgive me for my "close mindedness."

I blame the hospital and Jobs for manipulating them with his money and fame. I believe he paid far more for that liver than the average patient or inusurance company would and I think its a morally terrible argument to try to justify his money helped the hospital. If it were you or one of your beloved family members were on that waiting list that didn't get your liver because some pompous rich snob paid more than you to get it, then I don't think you would feel the same way, in fact I'd venture to say you'd be downright angry. Maybe you don't care anyone enough or have anyone that cares about you enough to understand how that scenario works. What you're doing is trying to justify putting a price tag on someone's life by saying that someone is worth more than someone else. Financially maybe so, but to that person that could have or did die because they didn't receive the liver that they waited for, their life meant very bit as much as Steve Jobs.

Sorry dude, I'm not "butt-hurt" and my opinion counts just as much as yours which is very little in the big scheme of things. I can dislike Apple and Steve Jobs and you can like them as much as you want and it's not going to sway how we feel about them. Don't sweat it dude, Steve Jobs resigning as CEO isn't going to take all of your Apple products out of your home. You get to keep what you paid for and you can still buy their overhyped, overpriced products if you want. Its your dollar and thank goodness for that but I'll spend my money elsewhere.

But in a short while there will be NO Touchpads period because of Apple.

Who cares, they recreated the segment. If it were up to the Dells and HPs of the world they would still be 10 pounds with 3 hour battery life and the size of a textbook.

QFT.

I'm feeling pretty disgusted with [H] right now.

Good luck in your battle against cancer Mr Jobs.

Apple is probably the only sane PC hardware manufacturer out there, and for that they've been rewarded. Lets face it guys, the PC experience is terrible for anybody not registered on this forum. They buy their $600 HP, take it home, turn it on for the first time and are immediately asked to spend $XX on AV. It immediately wants to update (which either annoys the user or is ignored), and its got at least one piece of crapware that adds functionality they don't need and clutters up their experience. Things are alerting them, asking them for money, cluttering up their screen and all they want is to get on Facebook. This is even recognized by Microsoft (Signature PC's), and its resulted in a reaction so negative from consumers that the biggest PC hardware manufacturer is thinking about exiting the market. This is a company which made tens of billions of dollars in revenue, and mere hundreds of millions in profits this last quarter. When your moving that much hardware and making that little money, something's wrong.

Apple buys their parts from the same suppliers everybody else does. They buy the same caps, the same PCB's, the same x86 chips, the same controllers, the same drives... sometimes they buy nicer IPS panels. Sometimes they tweak their suppliers hardware, and they seldom engineer for the feature-lists the average consumer uses to make their choice at a best-buy (read: 7200rpm drive > 5400rpm drive right? 1TB > 128GB right? 3.2Ghz > 2.2Ghz right?). Apple's hardware is always very similar to what you can find in a laptop from any other hardware OEM. They use an OS which is at the very least as functional as the one everybody else uses. They put it all in a nice chassis, and they sell it at a nice profit. They don't sign contracts with McAfee to include trial-ware. They don't bundle Zinga trial games. What they sell you, they make money on. This isn't a for-cost part. This isn't a part designed to get market penetration. This isn't a part to attract developers. Its designed to sell for a profit.

That's it: make product for $X, sell product for $1.5X. That in itself is revolutionary thinking these days.

And you guys get all insulted over this? Is it your money?

And even if you disagree with everything I just said, even if I'm completely wrong and you love your screen that's mounted on a composite chassis rather than an aluminum one, and you love your Acer-Connect software, and that Zinga trial game has opened you up to a whole new world of flash games: there was still the damn iPhone!

This dude created a $60B+/yr industry (300 million units at $200/unit) in 5 years piratically from scratch. Call it over-zealous American consumerism, put it down to whatever you want but the fact is the iPhone is something millions of people wanted --and still want.

This rampant fanboyism has to stop. This is not an Lenovo board. This is forum for all hardware, macs included.

He's been incredibly good for that company and he's been good for this industry.

Mr Jobs, very few people will miss you personally but professionally you will be sorely missed.

Somebody in my home recently got a MacBook Air. Let me tell you personal experience here. We have a Brother network printer. On Windows 7 I installed the printer's driver, it asked to scan for the printer, it said it couldn't find it. I tried everything I could think of - it never could find the printer. I ended up having to go into the router, set the printer to a static DHCP reservation, go on the computer, tell it to install the driver as a local, nonattached printer. Then I had to go in, add a Konica-Minolta protocol, with a com port pointed at the IP address I'd reserved for the printer.

I thought I was going to set up a printer on the Air. I opened it up, I went to printers, and 'Really?' was the first thought. It found the printer, it installed whatever it needed to run it (I believe they call them kernel extensions for OSX rather than drivers since it has a Unix base), and it configured it to work all in the background without me even having to go through a 'find the printer' wizard or any manual configuration settings.

Then I decided to check for updates. I yell out, is everything saved, get back 'it does it', ok, so I tell it to restart and apply the system update. I kid you not - it applied the update, restarted, and opened every program that was open before, every file, every window was right back where it was at the exact place in the file that it was before the restart. It was like it hadn't restarted at all. I haven't experienced it yet, but I found in the settings a setting that if it were to lock up for any reason it would do the same thing - restart and restore things to shortly before they were locked up. I have to say - I sure wish my Windows desktop would do that.

They've used it for awhile, but you know what I don't see when I check on it now. Their browser doesn't have a crapload of toolbars, there's no annoying 'Javascript error' dialog that has to be dismissed 10 times because Weatherbug doesn't work worth a crap, I don't even think I need to help maintain the system in working order for them now.

I wish Steve Jobs and his family the all best and would never wish cancer on anyone....

That being said I hope that proprietary, locked in, overpriced Apple co. goes down hard...They railed against the man then turned into him, only ten times worse.

Never going to happen, remember this in 1997?

I blame the hospital and Jobs for manipulating them with his money and fame. I believe he paid far more for that liver than the average patient or inusurance company would and I think its a morally terrible argument to try to justify his money helped the hospital. If it were you or one of your beloved family members were on that waiting list that didn't get your liver because some pompous rich snob paid more than you to get it, then I don't think you would feel the same way, in fact I'd venture to say you'd be downright angry. Maybe you don't care anyone enough or have anyone that cares about you enough to understand how that scenario works. What you're doing is trying to justify putting a price tag on someone's life by saying that someone is worth more than someone else. Financially maybe so, but to that person that could have or did die because they didn't receive the liver that they waited for, their life meant very bit as much as Steve Jobs.
Proof?

Thanks for the commercial break.

I rescue bugs from the swimming pool, and I wouldn't piss on Steve jobs if he was on fire. You have to be blind to not see what Apple and Steve are all about. I don't have to personally know the guy to despise him.

And a 3rd grade reading level is all we need to see what you're all about.

Threads like this are why I rarely come here anymore. For a forum full of alleged "smart IT folks", seems it's mostly mindless trolling and QQ about this/that anymore.

You wouldn't see i7s if it wasn't for AMD.

You wouldn't see modern tablets, Android, competition in smartphones, and a plethora of other advances brought about by competition if it wasn't for Apple and Jobs. Some of you are pathetic.

What a weak argument, you're implying that I'm close minded because I can't like or adapt to something new or different. You would be wrong, I simply don't like MAC OS. I've spent my fair share of time using it and helping friends resolve their issues. I just prefer Windows and a PC that's affordable, I can build myself, maintain and an OS that has a wider range of software support, forgive me for my "close mindedness."

Sorry dude, I'm not "butt-hurt" and my opinion counts just as much as yours which is very little in the big scheme of things. I can dislike Apple and Steve Jobs and you can like them as much as you want and it's not going to sway how we feel about them. Don't sweat it dude, Steve Jobs resigning as CEO isn't going to take all of your Apple products out of your home. You get to keep what you paid for and you can still buy their overhyped, overpriced products if you want. Its your dollar and thank goodness for that but I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I didn't say you were close-minded. You apparently took it that way though..
That being said, if you are going to ignore the fact that humans in general are creatures of habit and any change to those habits causes frustration/anger/fear of change, you are kidding yourself. It may not apply to you, but this is among the biggest issues people ever have with computers: Change.
When I DON'T want to help someone with tech support, I tell them to get a Mac. I can claim ignorance if an issue occurs, and if they don't have an issue, win-win.

Had an uncle who needed the exact same transplant and received it. He honestly didn't deserve it for what he had done to his body prior, but he changed his ways and seemed to enjoy the years he had left.
About the hospital thing: Would I be angry? Sure.
But I've realized a long time ago this is how life works. The players, and situations change, but it's always about what can a person do for another.
Oh, and I work fairly closely with a hospital. Not that they do this, but I can see WHY it would be considered. 'Greater good' argument.

The last part of my post wasn't meant for you really, but you made it apply to you. More power to you.

Why makes people assume that because you make an 'argument' or point for something that you are fully on that side or invested in it?
I'm not a mac person whatsoever, but I do have some perspective, and perhaps (crazy I know) a streak of objectivity. Things aren't just black and white.

Say what you will about the man personally, but I have to give him props for the exceptional job he has done with Apple.

He has brought them from the brink to being one of the leading technology companies in the world. He did it through smart planning and marketing. He ruled with an iron fist and was able to use that to really focus all the energies of the company towards each product they put out and its paid off big time.

I hope he is able to conquer whatever is ailing him and can enjoy himself a bit now that he is moving on.

Its too bad he has to step aside now, as it was when Bill Gates stepped aside. Those two guys have done so much for the industry and both are leaving legacy that will ikely not be matched for a long time, if ever.

I have to laugh though at those that decide to use this oppurtunity to turn this into a mac vs pc argument. The only point on that I will make is this: A PC can be just as reliable, just as secure, and just as easy to use as a Mac if its built right. See Apple has the advantage of it being the only company making macs, so they get to control every aspect of the experience in the process and make it as streamlined as possible. On the PC side, MS has no such control and so you get a wide variety of companies making pcs, all aiming for different price ranges which results in the abundance of crap pcs that do nothing but make pcs look bad, creating many stereotypes in the process.

However, there are several pc vendors that do just as Apple does, cut out the crap and focus on putting together a well built pc that isnt bogged down. Heck, even MS now sells PCs through thier own store just so taht they can control how those pcs are setup (aka no crapware), becuase they know how 3rd parties are making them look bad. So again, its funny to hear mac users that are just so convinced of how crappy windows is in comparison when the reality is much different. You just have to know where to look and not focus on cheap crap thats out there. Windows itself is actually a pretty cool system. that doesnt mean its perfect and it could certainly learn a thing or two from OSX, but OSX isnt perfect either and it has its failings in comparison to 7. The key to me is that you get what feels right to you. Either system can offer alot, much of it is going to come down to personal preference.

You wouldn't see modern tablets, Android, competition in smartphones, and a plethora of other advances brought about by competition if it wasn't for Apple and Jobs. Some of you are pathetic.

Thats debatable though. Smartphones were around before the iphone and tablets around before the ipad.

What isnt debatable is that Apple accelerated the market by moving in so aggressively. I think without that push, we would still be maybe 4-5 years away from 'modern' tablets and smartphones as they are now.

The only question is Google. I wonder if Google would have made the move it did if Apple hadnt jumped into it.

Maybe we'll get flash in Ios now.

I didnt think it was a big deal till I got an Ipad.... now I keep running into websites that use flash and I am not just talking about 1-handed reading either.

I dont know what this will do for Apple though. Stevie was the driving force behind much of their innovation and marketing. I think Apple has to have a "personality" at the helm or at least at the technology shows to distort reality.

I wish him well. I never have nor will probably ever buy an apple product, but that's not because I hate the man. I'm too am appalled by the hatred constantly flinged towards him. I really don't know what he did to deserve that... Oh well, I guess I hope those people are now happy with their lives.

Thats debatable though. Smartphones were around before the iphone and tablets around before the ipad.

What isnt debatable is that Apple accelerated the market by moving in so aggressively. I think without that push, we would still be maybe 4-5 years away from 'modern' tablets and smartphones as they are now.

The only question is Google. I wonder if Google would have made the move it did if Apple hadnt jumped into it.

Pre-iPad and Apple, tablets were the size of a college textbook, hot, had platter hard drives, and were heavy and shitty. There was no interest in redesigning that market until Apple took that chance. And you know what? 1,000,000 titty babies are currently whining that they missed out on the $99 Touchpad... which would have not existed if not for evil evil Jobs, lol.

Maybe we'll get flash in Ios now.

I didnt think it was a big deal till I got an Ipad.... now I keep running into websites that use flash and I am not just talking about 1-handed reading either.

I dont know what this will do for Apple though. Stevie was the driving force behind much of their innovation and marketing. I think Apple has to have a "personality" at the helm or at least at the technology shows to distort reality.

Look up an app named iSwifter. It used to cost 99 cents, but I think it costs a little more now. It enables Flash on the iPad and it makes the Flash run just as well as it would on a computer since it's basically running the flash on their server and sending a video stream down to your iPad. Kind of like OnLive but for webpages.

Naive?

Sorry, I thought most people had enough common sense to put 2+2 together. If I honestly had definitive written proof, don't you think there would be a lawsuit? And because of that, you're never going to see the proof of that transaction.

I didn't say you were close-minded. You apparently took it that way though..
That being said, if you are going to ignore the fact that humans in general are creatures of habit and any change to those habits causes frustration/anger/fear of change, you are kidding yourself. It may not apply to you, but this is among the biggest issues people ever have with computers: Change.
When I DON'T want to help someone with tech support, I tell them to get a Mac. I can claim ignorance if an issue occurs, and if they don't have an issue, win-win.

Had an uncle who needed the exact same transplant and received it. He honestly didn't deserve it for what he had done to his body prior, but he changed his ways and seemed to enjoy the years he had left.
About the hospital thing: Would I be angry? Sure.
But I've realized a long time ago this is how life works. The players, and situations change, but it's always about what can a person do for another.
Oh, and I work fairly closely with a hospital. Not that they do this, but I can see WHY it would be considered. 'Greater good' argument.

The last part of my post wasn't meant for you really, but you made it apply to you. More power to you.

Why makes people assume that because you make an 'argument' or point for something that you are fully on that side or invested in it?
I'm not a mac person whatsoever, but I do have some perspective, and perhaps (crazy I know) a streak of objectivity. Things aren't just black and white.

That post was more rational that your previous post, but in the end, I still don't agree with your argument about money over life. Things aren't always black and white but in this case it was as is often the case, and wrongly so, money buys power.

I will say that Steve Jobs brought Apple out of near extinction and that's the only positive thing I can say about him. He did his job as a CEO.

I can't believe some of the hate for the man in this thread. Regardless of what you think of Apple products; it is hard to deny Steve as "the Man with the Plan".
He was a college drop out; driven by ideas he and 2 other founded Apple. Apple was a resounding success as a start up computer company which we all know; but how many of you realize HE WAS BOOTED FROM HIS OWN COMPANY in '84? He founded NeXT computer. Also there would be no PIXAR without Jobs. Lucasfilm cut them loose but Jobs purchased them for 10 million because even though computer animation was in it's infancy; Jobs had a vision for the company. He saw the potential.
In '96 NeXT was purchased by Apple and he became CEO of Apple; the company he co-founded.
He is a man of vision and that is something our society sorely lacks. Visionaries are beat down and told "how dare you mess with the established order!"
When a visionary rises above societies self imposed limitations they are applauded. They society that told them "you can't" applaud their success.

Look up an app named iSwifter. It used to cost 99 cents, but I think it costs a little more now. It enables Flash on the iPad and it makes the Flash run just as well as it would on a computer since it's basically running the flash on their server and sending a video stream down to your iPad. Kind of like OnLive but for webpages.

x2

the skyfire browser (also on the Appstore) will also transcode flash to HTML5 in real time. There are always ways to get around it if you look hard enough.

As much as I wanted flash back in 07 when I got my first iPhone, I'm now grateful that it's not supported. It caused many video sites to adopt to HTML5 (not to mention sites that used flash exclusively) and as a result, doesn't really have any negitive impact on daily use... especially with apps like iswifter and skyfire to fill the gaps.

When I see flash running on some of my buddies android phones, I shudder. It's really something that isn't necessary in 2011 except for bragging rights (at the expensive of performance and battery life). I can and have been living without it just fine for quite some time.

Wow some of the hate in this thread. [H] community has gone downhill a good bit :/

Pre-iPad and Apple, tablets were the size of a college textbook, hot, had platter hard drives, and were heavy and shitty. There was no interest in redesigning that market until Apple took that chance. And you know what? 1,000,000 titty babies are currently whining that they missed out on the $99 Touchpad... which would have not existed if not for evil evil Jobs, lol.

i said Apple gets credit for accelerating the market, not inventing it. lets not blow these things out of proportion. apple pushed before anyone else wanted to and they have been handsomly rewarded for it.

i dont know why you would think these types of products would not have happened otherwise. Apple isnt the only company out there that was looking in this direction. again, Apple jumped first, but the idea was something that i believe would have been developed with or without Apple. just at a later date.

I can't believe some of the hate for the man in this thread. Regardless of what you think of Apple products; it is hard to deny Steve as "the Man with the Plan".
He was a college drop out; driven by ideas he and 2 other founded Apple. Apple was a resounding success as a start up computer company which we all know; but how many of you realize HE WAS BOOTED FROM HIS OWN COMPANY in '84? He founded NeXT computer. Also there would be no PIXAR without Jobs. Lucasfilm cut them loose but Jobs purchased them for 10 million because even though computer animation was in it's infancy; Jobs had a vision for the company. He saw the potential.
In '96 NeXT was purchased by Apple and he became CEO of Apple; the company he co-founded.
He is a man of vision and that is something our society sorely lacks. Visionaries are beat down and told "how dare you mess with the established order!"
When a visionary rises above societies self imposed limitations they are applauded. They society that told them "you can't" applaud their success.

People like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates just dont get universal respect. The unfortunate things is, too many people feel the need to choose sides and become married to one product or company. That leads to arguments, debates, and outright attacking the other side. It happens in almost every market.

As Steve walks away, im struck that i dont see anyone filling the shoes of him or Gates, no one id say is part of the next generation of visionaries. Thats just too bad, but there are alot of factors making it difficult for some to reach thier potential as Jobs and Gates did as college dropouts working from a garage.

And if he had his greedy way, you wouldn't see modern tablets and Android competition at all BECAUSE of Apple. :rolleyes:

I don't wish him to suffer or die or anything, but the guy's a total douchebag.

People like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates just dont get universal respect. The unfortunate things is, too many people feel the need to choose sides and become married to one product or company. That leads to arguments, debates, and outright attacking the other side. It happens in almost every market.

This. Grow up people and get some self-confidence. Giving some respect to Apple for the things they've done won't all of a sudden down-clock your i7. Recognizing what someone/something else does well, even if it is something you don't necessarily need or want, is a sign of maturity.

“You can tell the size of a man by the size of the thing that makes him mad.” - Adlai Stevenson

Naive?

Sorry, I thought most people had enough common sense to put 2+2 together. If I honestly had definitive written proof, don't you think there would be a lawsuit? And because of that, you're never going to see the proof of that transaction.
I'll take it you have none, then. :)

Good time to BUY some Apple stock IMO. Then when it rebounds with the iphone 5 announcement sell it and make a buck.

I wont lie i never liked Steve Jobs one tiny bit. He ran the company successfully but thats about it. He never listened to the community and just shoved ideas down their throats with no option. Hopefully this will be a turning point for Apple and they start listening.

On another note Steve Jobs is filthy stinking rich and does NOTHING to better the world with all his money and influence. You look at Bill Gates and all he and his wife do and whether you like microsoft or not you cant help but have at least some respect for him.

And if he had his greedy way, you wouldn't see modern tablets and Android competition at all BECAUSE of Apple. :rolleyes:

So if you took a leap of faith... invested billions of dollars into an extremely risky, almost non-existent, market and were successful in doing so, you'd just let others copy your idea, almost verbatim, and run with it? Riiiight :rolleyes:

As others have said, they didn't create the tablet... but they turned the tablet into something people wanted. They built upon that platform (large, heavy and not so mobile) and made it a functional, user friendly and cheap device than almost anyone could, and wanted to, own.

I still remember reading the post here when the iPad was first announced. The vast majority of people said that it was going to fail horribly and that there was no market for it and now they're complaining that Apple has the market locked. It would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad. Apple took a risk and it payed off huge for them... they almost killed the netbook market and now that everyone is scrambling to copy their work, people blame them for trying to protect that investment.

I, personally, don't blame Apple for fighting it.

Good time to BUY some Apple stock IMO. Then when it rebounds with the iphone 5 announcement sell it and make a buck..

It's only down about 1.35% (not counting last nights aftermarket trading), so it's not exactly a huge bargain right now.

IMO the market would have shifted there eventually. It may not have happened as fast as it did and wouldnt have had the amount of competition it does but with touch screens and flash memory getting cheaper and cheaper it was inevitable that someone shift the tablet market in that direction.

So if you took a leap of faith... invested billions of dollars into an extremely risky, almost non-existent, market and were successful in doing so, you'd just let others copy your idea, almost verbatim, and run with it? Riiiight :rolleyes:

As others have said, they didn't create the tablet... but they turned the tablet into something people wanted. They built upon that platform (large, heavy and not so mobile) and made it a functional, user friendly and cheap device than almost anyone could, and wanted to, own.

I still remember reading the post here when the iPad was first announced. The vast majority of people said that it was going to fail horribly and that there was no market for it and now they're complaining that Apple has the market locked. It would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad. Apple took a risk and it payed off huge for them... they almost killed the netbook market and now that everyone is scrambling to copy their work, people blame them for trying to protect that investment.

I, personally, don't blame Apple for fighting it.

Right, they have such a strong argument, clearly Google and Samsung copied their stuff verbatim...that's why Apple had to manipulate pictures to make the Galaxy Tab look like a 4:3 device and intentionally posted pictures that didn't show off Android's widget functionality on its home screens. Riiiiight. :rolleyes:

Again, if Apple had its way, there would be NO Android competition. Apple has a history of monopolistic behavior - I have stated this many times for many years. It's nothing new now, and it's the main reason why I have no respect whatsoever for Jobs as a person or Apple as a company.

But keep fucking that chicken, fanboy.

I have not honestly looked i just expected a serious drop after his resignation.

I did too, I only went and looked after your post and was a bit surprised. Perhaps it was a bit TOO obvious; however I have to believe there were plenty of people who went short and are going to be screwed hard if that's all it drops.

Right, they have such a strong argument, clearly Google and Samsung copied their stuff verbatim...that's why Apple had to manipulate pictures to make the Galaxy Tab look like a 4:3 device and intentionally posted pictures that didn't show off Android's widget functionality on its home screens. Riiiiight. :rolleyes:

Again, if Apple had its way, there would be NO Android competition. Apple has a history of monopolistic behavior - I have stated this many times for many years. It's nothing new now, and it's the main reason why I have no respect whatsoever for Jobs as a person or Apple as a company.

But keep fucking that chicken, fanboy.

And if Google had their way there would be no competition. And if Intel, AMD, Microsoft, McDonalds, Whole Foods....pick a company. It's a terrible argument one way or another, and to try and tar only Apple with that brush is foolish.

And if Google had their way there would be no competition. And if Intel, AMD, Microsoft, McDonalds, Whole Foods....pick a company. It's a terrible argument one way or another, and to try and tar only Apple with that brush is foolish.

And when did I say Apple was unique in that regard? Oh, I didn't.

So then what are you going on about?

I pointed out the irony of anyone saying that Android wouldn't exist if it weren't for Jobs, when Jobs would love nothing more than to be the guy twisting the knife in Google's back.

Back