Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple

I thought [H] was about the tech, not the platform, guess I was wrong.

It hasn't been for quite some time (with a few rare exceptions). I signed up here because I'm a tech geek... I love gagets and technology, but unfortunitly this place has eroded to a cespool of this vs that for reasons that I don't completely understand.

it reminds of me an xbox or ps3 forum... it's ridiculous.

That is why both camps are wrong in their criticism.

I have an iPad2 and I love it, but I've been a PC builder for over 20 years
and I'm not giving that up either. My systems can keep up with the best of
you here in [H].

What is unfortunate is that we should embrace both sides, cause if
we only look to one or the other, were losing a lot of tech breakthroughs.

I thought [H] was about the tech, not the platform, guess I was wrong.

You children that want to rant for your "side" are foolish idiots.

It's not just about the tech, some of us also feel strongly about the corporate policies behind the tech. If a company refuses to give me basic access to the file system of a device (not even advanced access, just control over the *media* I put on it!) and wants to artificially limit the functionality of the apps that I put on it, I don't find that acceptable. Period.

It's not just about the tech, some of us also feel strongly about the corporate policies behind the tech. If a company refuses to give me basic access to the file system of a device (not even advanced access, just control over the *media* I put on it!) and wants to artificially limit the functionality of the apps that I put on it, I don't find that acceptable. Period.

So then don't buy it and move on... what's so difficult about that?

I wouldn't buy a mac nor would I buy a prebuilt PC, but I don't fly off the handle when they're mentioned in a forum post

It hasn't been for quite some time (with a few rare exceptions). I signed up here because I'm a tech geek... I love gagets and technology, but unfortunitly this place has eroded to a cespool of this vs that for reasons that I don't completely understand.

Hardforum has always been like that. If you want real in depth info you head over to a specialty forum.

Well, for all intents and purposes, even my k-12 school system is looking at VDI. Apple has a huge toe in the 'post PC' world...the system builders in here who tweak the shit out of things should raise an eyebrow. Your (and my) hobby has peaked. HP is dumping their PC division, IBM already has...its just a matter of time...but continue to flail. Its good some people here can appreciate Jobs ingenuity...i think the rest of you are going to find choices fewer ad fewer down the road...

Apple has a huge toe in the 'post PC' world...

It was Apple and the console makers that created the 'post PC' world. I believe this explains some of the outrage at Apple. People have settled for what just works instead of pushing the threshold. It wasn't that long ago that games and other programs just murdered lower end PCs. Now a computer off the shelf can play almost anything. Nothing is pushing the envelope. And a lot of people blame Jobs for it.

It was Apple and the console makers that created the 'post PC' world. I believe this explains some of the outrage at Apple. People have settled for what just works instead of pushing the threshold. It wasn't that long ago that games and other programs just murdered lower end PCs. Now a computer off the shelf can play almost anything. Nothing is pushing the envelope. And a lot of people blame Jobs for it.

The difference between you and "a lot of people" is that you actually made a mature, intelligent post about it, rather than a sophomoric anti-Apple rant, a blatant troll, or a flamebait comment about how you'd be happy if Steve Jobs died.

I blame the hospital and Jobs for manipulating them with his money and fame. I believe he paid far more for that liver than the average patient or inusurance company would and I think its a morally terrible argument to try to justify his money helped the hospital. If it were you or one of your beloved family members were on that waiting list that didn't get your liver because some pompous rich snob paid more than you to get it, then I don't think you would feel the same way, in fact I'd venture to say you'd be downright angry. Maybe you don't care anyone enough or have anyone that cares about you enough to understand how that scenario works. What you're doing is trying to justify putting a price tag on someone's life by saying that someone is worth more than someone else. Financially maybe so, but to that person that could have or did die because they didn't receive the liver that they waited for, their life meant very bit as much as Steve Jobs.

It is not merely immoral to buy human organs in the US; it is illegal under the National Organ Transplant Act of 1984. Only the sickest patient on the waiting list at the time a donor organ became available gets the organ, and money or fame does not buy you higher priority with UNOS. Charging UNOS with partiality to the rich and famous is SERIOUS business; do you really think the media wouldn't notice and be all over its case if that was going on?

Did he deserve the transplant? Of course he did, just as much as anybody else on the list. Just because you don't like somebody doesn't give you the right to choose who gets one and who doesn't. I guarantee you that there are a lot of very unlikeable people on the liver transplant list; many donated livers go to those suffering from alcoholic cirrhosis. If you want to be outraged about the liver transplant list, be outraged about that, instead of being outraged about a pancreatic cancer patient who you don't like.

On another note Steve Jobs is filthy stinking rich and does NOTHING to better the world with all his money and influence.

Why should he? Who are you to tell him how he should spend his money? When did philanthropy become required? You're not telling me that I have to donate my money to better the world, are you?

Neither are you, you are wishing upon him the same thing he wished on someone else.
Of course, I recognized that when I made the post in the first place.

It is one thing to wish slow, horrible, painful death and demise upon an innocent man dying of cancer just because you perceive his company as "evil."

But quite another to be disgusted with the hatred flung at said man when he has done nothing to harm others, except try to make better stuff for people to use. Then call that man an evil fascist nazi harboring doom upon our world. I wish there weren't people like said offender on this planet. Would be a much nicer place.

The CPU and Display subforums, are at times, like Star Wars vs Star Trek forums. :p

I deny anything that implies I have *ever* participated in such a forum.

I still say that he's a megalomaniac that thinks that he could do no wrong and that we was somehow holier than thou. I don't like his company's products, I don't like his company's sales, business, and legal tactics (especially how they are suing Android makers) but... the guy is dying for fuck's sake.

I may not like him or his company or anything he stands for but again, he's dying probably one of the worst ways to die. Cancer. Have some respect for a fellow human being.

Five ways Apple will never be the same without Jobs as CEO

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hi...the-same-without-jobs-as-ceo/9042?tag=nl.e098

As true as they are, they got apple to where they are now

5. Who will ignore what the public wants?

A few years ago, Jobs said, ”You can’t just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they’ll want something new.” That was his approach to product development throughout his career. He never tried to keep up with what the masses wanted, but tried to give them something new to fall in love with. Very few people in history have been as good as Jobs at judging what large numbers of people will want before they know they want it. Even fewer have ever had the guts to place big bets on those things. It’s unlikely Apple will ever find another leader who can do that like Jobs, and that more than anything else has been the key to Apple’s recent success.

4. Who will shame people into greatness?

The Steve Jobs management style is not normal in corporate America. He was notoriously abrasive, confrontational, and borderline-inappropriate. He got in people’s faces. He called them names. He demeaned their humanity. And yet, plenty of Apple employees will say that he pushed them to create the greatest work of their careers. As a people manager, he was the Bobby Knight of tech. From the outside, a lot of people were appalled by the stories of Jobs’ behavior toward his employees, but insiders will tell you that he could also be extremely generous, enthusiastic, and charming. And, when he praised an employee, it was like they just hit a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth. Jobs could get away with this behavior — which gets most CEOs despised or fired — because he was Steve Jobs. Apple probably won’t ever have another leader with this decidedly old school management approach — much more in the Vince Lombardi tradition than the modern Ken Blanchard mode. But, a big part of the reason Apple’s products are as polished as they is a result of Jobs’ ferocious perfectionism.

I wonder who you small pecker fags will pick on next, quick...over there! Linus Torvalds....GET HIM! :D Small minded douche could never get Linux to topple microsoft....pile the wood around the stake! :D

I wouldn't mind if that happened. If the world switched to Linux tomorrow, there wouldn't be too much I could complain about. Things would be done differently, but you'd at least have the same freedom and similar options.

With Apple everything they do is designed to trap you in their closed ecosystem. To the rabid Apple fan, everything that isn't Apple is the enemy. Apple's dream is a world where there is only Apple. They intend on controlling everything from top to bottom. They want to be the gatekeepers of almost everything in and out of your device. If the world switched 100% to Apple tomorrow, many people simply wouldn't be able work, not because the hardware or OS isn't capable, but because creating solutions for things they haven't thought of isn't allowed without their permission. You have to pay up before you can even start writing software to get the job done, and then pray that your application isn't rejected, censored or stolen. Then they take a cut at the App Store. The above isn't completely true for all business scenarios, but if they had complete control in the way they clearly want, then you know things would be far worse than they are today.

You can't even make a cover for an iPad without their permission for Christ's sake.

Pretty much every other company, especially Microsoft, depends on an ecosystem where things are more open. They don't try and control it all, because the demands of business don't allow it. Even if the software isn't open source, the Windows, Linux and Android ecosystems allow everyone to participate and compete at multiple levels.

But whatever. Throw your freedom away for your shining fashion accessory. Surely the shiny thing is worth it.

I wouldn't mind if that happened. If the world switched to Linux tomorrow, there wouldn't be too much I could complain about. Things would be done differently, but you'd at least have the same freedom and similar options.

With Apple everything they do is designed to trap you in their closed ecosystem. To the rabid Apple fan, everything that isn't Apple is the enemy. Apple's dream is a world where there is only Apple. They intend on controlling everything from top to bottom. They want to be the gatekeepers of almost everything in and out of your device. If the world switched 100% to Apple tomorrow, many people simply wouldn't be able work, not because the hardware or OS isn't capable, but because creating solutions for things they haven't thought of isn't allowed without their permission. You have to pay up before you can even start writing software to get the job done, and then pray that your application isn't rejected, censored or stolen. Then they take a cut at the App Store. The above isn't completely true for all business scenarios, but if they had complete control in the way they clearly want, then you know things would be far worse than they are today.

You can't even make a cover for an iPad without their permission for Christ's sake.

Pretty much every other company, especially Microsoft, depends on an ecosystem where things are more open. They don't try and control it all, because the demands of business don't allow it. Even if the software isn't open source, the Windows, Linux and Android ecosystems allow everyone to participate and compete at multiple levels.

But whatever. Throw your freedom away for your shining fashion accessory. Surely the shiny thing is worth it.

I'm sorry that I'm using my iPhone on this PC that I built running Windows 7.

You're not talking about the same guy who doesn't give a damn about working conditions of their contractors, right? those workers also have families, only they can't afford medical care...

You mean like every CEO on the planet? If he didn't do those things the board would find someone who would.

Why should he? Who are you to tell him how he should spend his money? When did philanthropy become required? You're not telling me that I have to donate my money to better the world, are you?

When you have enough money for you and your family to live in luxury for the next 10 generations without lifting a finger how can you justify NOT doing something to better the world you live in?

IMO filthy rich people that just sit on their money are worse than people on welfare.

What jobs could do with an amount of money that's nothing to him is more than what all of us on this forum could do.

Besides i am not saying he HAS to im saying its hard to respect a man like that when you look at what Bill Gates has done.

Glad to see him go as i loathe his buisness practices but I wish him the best as regards his illness.

It's that kind of thinking that has turned the US into a hyper-capitalist shithole.

But all the rich people can't be taxed because they always give to the poor! (lol)

That may be true for the hobbyist, like you and I, but we are the
minority, like 1% of all users that even care about this stuff.

Still, even windows products are about taking control away from
people. For most people DOS is a mysterious black screen that
scares the hell out of them. Since the early days why does DOS
still even exist now?

If these products really gave us access to everything, there would be no need
for them to sell the product in the first place, we would program our own.

When you have enough money for you and your family to live in luxury for the next 10 generations without lifting a finger how can you justify NOT doing something to better the world you live in?

IMO filthy rich people that just sit on their money are worse than people on welfare.

What jobs could do with an amount of money that's nothing to him is more than what all of us on this forum could do.

Besides i am not saying he HAS to im saying its hard to respect a man like that when you look at what Bill Gates has done.

Even if old jobsey boy started bleeding money to inner city kids I still wouldn't respect him. Never cared for the guy never will.

On that same token it's very easy for someone like you and I to play the "wealth" card. I choose not to. He's filthy rich I'd love just a fraction of % of his wealth, but on that same token I'd never brow beat him because he chooses to sit on it.

If you are on [H]ardforum you probably have a good bit more wealth more than the poorest of families. The kind that have no car, and live on the street. Should we jump on your back and tell you how terrible of a human you are because you don't give all your stuff away to help people? Of course we shoudln't

I made right under 6 figures before the economic collapse, now I'm making right under 30K (this is with a degree from A&M mind you) I'd be MUCH more generous with cash if I had it falling outta my ass, but for the time being everyone (homeless, kids, unwed mothers, druggies) they can all kiss my ass.

If we were to "force" steve to give away his stuff, why shouldn't we force you? or me? or everyone in the country to fall to the lowest common denominator of living?

Glad jobs stepped down - he might have brought about crazy good changes, he's still a tyrant though. He's a guy who's always been in the right place at the right time, at the end of the day he's just like any other person on earth. He's not magical, he's not god, just a rich guy who can do whatever he wants. Who really cares?

Even if old jobsey boy started bleeding money to inner city kids I still wouldn't respect him. Never cared for the guy never will.

On that same token it's very easy for someone like you and I to play the "wealth" card. I choose not to. He's filthy rich I'd love just a fraction of % of his wealth, but on that same token I'd never brow beat him because he chooses to sit on it.

If you are on [H]ardforum you probably have a good bit more wealth more than the poorest of families. The kind that have no car, and live on the street. Should we jump on your back and tell you how terrible of a human you are because you don't give all your stuff away to help people? Of course we shoudln't

I made right under 6 figures before the economic collapse, now I'm making right under 30K (this is with a degree from A&M mind you) I'd be MUCH more generous with cash if I had it falling outta my ass, but for the time being everyone (homeless, kids, unwed mothers, druggies) they can all kiss my ass.

If we were to "force" steve to give away his stuff, why shouldn't we force you? or me? or everyone in the country to fall to the lowest common denominator of living?

Glad jobs stepped down - he might have brought about crazy good changes, he's still a tyrant though. He's a guy who's always been in the right place at the right time, at the end of the day he's just like any other person on earth. He's not magical, he's not god, just a rich guy who can do whatever he wants. Who really cares?

I said nothing about forcing anybody. I dont think he should be forced to do a damn thing.

wish him and his family best, doesnt look like he has much longer

JBDBE.jpg

Back