'Steve Jobs' Movie Bombs

I have not seen this movie but Michael Fassbender is a fantastic actor!

I didn't mean to suggest his acting skills weren't up to par (I actually think he is one of the finest emerging actors) but there is a reason that the DiCaprio's and Depp's pull in such big bucks in salary ... they guarantee a certain attendance just because of their name draw (which this movie was lacking and it is being reflected in the box office)

I've yet to see the new one and it took me a long time to watch Kutcher Jobs because I felt like Pirates of Silicon Valley already said everything that needed to be said about Steve Jobs, which is remarkable considering the movie wasn't even solely about him. When I finally got around to watching Kutcher Jobs, that feeling was further solidified because the later movie didn't really bring anything new to the table in my opinion; all throughout I couldn't help repeatedly thinking, "PoSV did this more succinctly and effectively, and with more interesting and human characters to boot". When the new movie was announced, I decided I'd watch it if only because Fassbender's in it, but then I realized I'd have to set apart the time and $$ to go to the theater to watch a movie where the only thing I'm interested in is the acting, at which point... ehh... I'll just wait until it's available for streaming. :eek:

I didn't mean to suggest his acting skills weren't up to par (I actually think he is one of the finest emerging actors) but there is a reason that the DiCaprio's and Depp's pull in such big bucks in salary ... they guarantee a certain attendance just because of their name draw (which this movie was lacking and it is being reflected in the box office)

Fassbender is why I want to watch this. His name alone got me interested in it. I'll still wait for the Blu-ray rental, but I would have completely ignored it otherwise.

this is a perfect example of a movie that didn't need to be in the actual theaters. Just rent it. I doubt Fassbender and Rogan would sign up for a direct to DVD release though. ha!

I saw it Saturday night with my wife, and I understand why it is struggling. I think it is very well acted and has great dialog, but it doesn't make Steve Jobs a very likable character. It focuses primarily on the hour before three product launches, and I am not sure how many audience members care about the stress that goes into a product launch. His interaction with his daughter (and her mother) is the other focus of the movie, and that is pretty rough as well.

I haven't seen any other Steve Jobs movies, so maybe this one wanted to stand out by focusing on these three big moments instead of his whole life and death (though there are flashbacks to other times). I was hoping for more of his life story than what was presented.

If you like a lot of dialog and intense, stressful situations, you will probably like this movie. If you want to know how the iPhone and iPad were developed, they aren't even in this film.

I was going to see it this weekend, but shockingly it wasn't on one of the bigger screens, so I saw Spielberg's flick instead (not bad)...I'll check out Steve Jobs at a different theater during the week.

As for how Steve is portrayed, he's always been known as a tough to like person to work for. That said, this isn't supposed to be a documentary. Some of it's true, some of it is not and almost none of the dialog is real (not a bad thing).

I'm looking forward to it. I love Sorkin's dialog.

The Poseidon Adventure (1972) was remade twice: The Poseidon Adventure (2005) and Poseidon (2006). Poseidon (2006) bombed badly. It took me awhile to figure out the 2005 movie was in fact a 4 hour TV mini-series. I think I remember watching one or the other of the remakes but I'll be damned if I can remember which one. Talk about franchise confusion and "Didn't we just watch this?"

How many here can remember the difference between Hulk (2003) and The Incredible Hulk (2008)? I've watched at least one of them. I think I might have watched both. But I'm not sure. They didn't bomb, and people seemed to like both of them, but if another Hulk reboot movie titled "Hulk" had come out in 2009, I'm sure it would have bombed out of franchise confusion.

Now we have, and I had to consult Wikipedia to get this straight:

Steve Jobs (2015 film, starring Michael Fassbender)
Jobs (2013 film, starring Ashton Kutcher)
iSteve (2013 film, starring Justin Long)
Pirates of Silicon Valley (1999 film, starring Noah Wyle)

It doesn't matter whether this film is any good or not; it was destined to fail just like any other third or fourth remake.

This guy will always be Steve Jobs to me:

111012072223-steve-jobs-actors-noah-wyle-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Seth Rogan being a putz online didn't win any one over.

Hollywood actors forget that the "yokels" they insult are a huge segment of the movie watching audience.

I ain't watching it even when it comes to video. Just have no interest in Steve Jobs. Sorry

Who the frack...

*snicker* Pretend TV profanity.

Anywho, MSN had like some kinda article on the movie and they said production was like 30 mrillions and then there was advertising costs and other stuff so that the movie would need to make like about 120 million to break even. With how most people in the US are like really tiny-brained and wanna watch some idiot in sunglasses shooting pretend guns at things in slow motion for two hours, I can totally see why an all talking movie about someone nobody cares about would fail to earn any money.

*snicker* Pretend TV profanity.

Anywho, MSN had like some kinda article on the movie and they said production was like 30 mrillions and then there was advertising costs and other stuff so that the movie would need to make like about 120 million to break even. With how most people in the US are like really tiny-brained and wanna watch some idiot in sunglasses shooting pretend guns at things in slow motion for two hours, I can totally see why an all talking movie about someone nobody cares about would fail to earn any money.

They should have made a parody of him. Make him some kind of ex-special forces soldier (showing elaborate battle scenes) that became a humanitarian and does everything he can to donate to charity and better the human race.

This movie was bound to have the same issue as "through the never" Although it is or was a topic, no one really cares. Anyone that cares actually knew that Steve Jobs was actually a terrible person and his genius actually marketing.

Metallica was somewhat relevant decades ago.

This movie was bound to have the same issue as "through the never" Although it is or was a topic, no one really cares. Anyone that cares actually knew that Steve Jobs was actually a terrible person and his genius actually marketing.

Metallica was somewhat relevant decades ago.

Exactly. I even like Metallica, but the Napster fiasco killed them.

Exactly. I even like Metallica, but the Napster fiasco killed them.

No. THEY killed them. The Napster fiasco just gave them a very public stage on which to commit hara kiri with a chainsaw.

the actor portray jobs had biceps bigger than Steve Jobs torso... lol

well in the trailer, ill watch this on Kodi on my Android box lol

No. THEY killed them. The Napster fiasco just gave them a very public stage on which to commit hara kiri with a chainsaw.

Sad but true. :D

I still love their music, but I find it hard to like them as much as I used to after the whole Napster thing. I am 100% for the artists getting paid, but it really put them in a bad light to where it sounds like they are in it for the money, not because they love playing music.

Still, they fucking rock.

They should have made a parody of him. Make him some kind of ex-special forces soldier (showing elaborate battle scenes) that became a humanitarian and does everything he can to donate to charity and better the human race.

So like, basically making a movie about Bill Gates, right? :)

Recently rewatched Pirates... seems to cover everything one might want to know about Jobs, without being too hell-bent either way

Recently rewatched Pirates... seems to cover everything one might want to know about Jobs, without being too hell-bent either way

Agreed, not sure how accurate it is but I think it's a highly underrated movie.

^ gates, woz, and even jobs all agreed that it was accurate, so there's that :p

Back