Steve Jobs Has Won 141 Patents Since His Death

tazeat

[H]ard|Gawd
So what? He liked to abuse the patent system for frivolous stuff, I thought that was pretty well known.

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
Not at all an Apple fan and I currently own zero Apple hardware products but I have to give credit where credit is due. I can't say I like what I've heard about Jobs as a person but he got consumer IT like no one before him.

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
Not at all an Apple fan and I currently own zero Apple hardware products but I have to give credit where credit is due. I can't say I like what I've heard about Jobs as a person but he got consumer IT like no one before him.

You mean like "feed the consumer whatever crap you can come up with and tell them it is the best thing for them and that they will die without it"?

And then do a very minor update and tell them the same exact thing again.

Rinse and repeat every 3-6 months and profit from the dummies stupid enough to continuously believe you?

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
You mean like "feed the consumer whatever crap you can come up with and tell them it is the best thing for them and that they will die without it"?

But that's just it, everyone tries to do this to one degree or another, "Our thing is the best and you've got to get it." Apple with Jobs at the helm actually succeeded in getting a large and loyal population to believe it with passion. Apple bashers like to explain it all away as marketing but I don't believe that anyone achieves Apple's level of success simply with slick marketing. Jobs got consumers and had special insight into what they liked and didn't and what they would deal and what they wouldn't.

Fully [H]
But that's just it, everyone tries to do this to one degree or another, "Our thing is the best and you've got to get it." Apple with Jobs at the helm actually succeeded in getting a large and loyal population to believe it with passion. Apple bashers like to explain it all away as marketing but I don't believe that anyone achieves Apple's level of success simply with slick marketing. Jobs got consumers and had special insight into what they liked and didn't and what they would deal and what they wouldn't.

I have to agree.

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
I have to agree.

I certainly don't get the appeal of a lot of what Apple does. They make some great devices but their whole line up is certainly not the best in all categories. The iPhone probably is. The iPad probably not if you're pay full price new. I think the Macbook Airs are a joke in their category sporting among the crappiest screens in their price range though the battery life is top notch. The Mac Pros are very compelling and the Apple Watch looks to be interesting though it's hard to make judgments about something that's not out yet.

Yet no matter the quality of the devices overall in each category Apple manages to make a huge impact. The Macbook Air for instance. Technologically overall it's a joke compared to the Surface Pro 3, but because it's got top notch battery life it's lack of features and screen are completely overlooked where as people will praise retina Macbook Pros because they have great screens.

The rest of the world should ignore all patents issued by the U.S.P.O. They'll give a patent for the most stupid things.

mope54

Supreme [H]ardness
The Macbook Air for instance. Technologically overall it's a joke compared to the Surface Pro 3, but because it's got top notch battery life it's lack of features and screen are completely overlooked where as people will praise retina Macbook Pros because they have great screens.
Macbook Airs are also $300-400 dollars less expensive than Surface Pro 3s.

SGA76

[H]ard|Gawd
Apple is to electronics what Nike is to kids wanting shoes.
You're not hip or cool without them, they're just a status symbol.
THANK GOD Apple is must have for image since thanks to their cloud we've got soooo many hot celebrity nude leaks.

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
Macbook Airs are also $300-400 dollars less expensive than Surface Pro 3s.

Right now the i5 4 GB /128 GB SP3 is running $899. That's with $100 off holiday sale and maybe not a permanent price but currently that's exactly the same price as a similarly speced MBA 11 and $100 less than an MBA 13. The Type Cover is $130 so you're looking at a difference of $30-$130.

chenw

2[H]4U
Problem is they tend to file lawsuits in the US, sometimes exclusively in the US.

Darakian

Supreme [H]ardness
Yet no matter the quality of the devices overall in each category Apple manages to make a huge impact. The Macbook Air for instance. Technologically overall it's a joke compared to the Surface Pro 3, but because it's got top notch battery life it's lack of features and screen are completely overlooked where as people will praise retina Macbook Pros because they have great screens.

I disagree with this point. The surface and the air are completely different products with different use cases. Between the two I would personally go for the air as it's about as good as a laptop can get. If I wanted a tablet then I'd probably get the surface as that's about as good as a tablet gets.

Wrecked Em

Supreme [H]ardness
Patent #3848574883:
Device for pummeling of deceased members of the Equus ferus Caballero species.

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
I disagree with this point. The surface and the air are completely different products with different use cases. Between the two I would personally go for the air as it's about as good as a laptop can get. If I wanted a tablet then I'd probably get the surface as that's about as good as a tablet gets.

While the Surface Pro 3 a tablet it's built on the same basic components as ultrabooks. Thus high end x86 tablets and hybrids generally perform in the same range as ultrabooks when it comes to desktop application performance and support. The big difference between hybrids like the SP3 and clamshell ultrabook class machines like the MBAs is how well the mechanics of laptop mode work on the hybrid compared to the traditional clamshell design.

The SP3 has taken considerable steps to be more lap friendly and the new variable position kickstand, larger size and dual magnet keyboard is an improvement over the first two Surface Pro models. But even I, being a SP3 owner would admit that most would probably find the traditional clamshell design of the MBA more comfortable and useable in the lap. And most would probably find the keyboard and track pad of the MBAs better, particularly the track pad as those are a forte of Apple.

Hybrids like the SP3 can be effective laptops for a many, however I wouldn't recommend an SP3 or any other hybrid device to someone looking to only use the device as a traditional laptop. If one isn't going to take advantage of the tablet capabilities of an SP3 there's just no point in buying it. The strength of the SP3 lies in it's flexibility to be used as a touch tablet and pen tablet and conventional laptop and ability to change transform it's form factor.

jnemesh

[H]ard|Gawd
Too bad he can't collect royalties from the grave! May his moldy corpse rot in peace...

jnemesh

[H]ard|Gawd
Patent #3848574883:
Device for pummeling of deceased members of the Equus ferus Caballero species.

While the Surface Pro 3 a tablet it's built on the same basic components as ultrabooks. Thus high end x86 tablets and hybrids generally perform in the same range as ultrabooks when it comes to desktop application performance and support. The big difference between hybrids like the SP3 and clamshell ultrabook class machines like the MBAs is how well the mechanics of laptop mode work on the hybrid compared to the traditional clamshell design.

The SP3 has taken considerable steps to be more lap friendly and the new variable position kickstand, larger size and dual magnet keyboard is an improvement over the first two Surface Pro models. But even I, being a SP3 owner would admit that most would probably find the traditional clamshell design of the MBA more comfortable and useable in the lap. And most would probably find the keyboard and track pad of the MBAs better, particularly the track pad as those are a forte of Apple.

Hybrids like the SP3 can be effective laptops for a many, however I wouldn't recommend an SP3 or any other hybrid device to someone looking to only use the device as a traditional laptop. If one isn't going to take advantage of the tablet capabilities of an SP3 there's just no point in buying it. The strength of the SP3 lies in it's flexibility to be used as a touch tablet and pen tablet and conventional laptop and ability to change transform it's form factor.

Or you can just use it to prop up your iPad, much like CNN did. Probably the best use for MS hardware anyway.

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
Or you can just use it to prop up your iPad, much like CNN did. Probably the best use for MS hardware anyway.

LOL! Took my SP3 with me on my Thanksgiving trip and it drew quite a bit of attention. Whatever people want to think of it, the SP3 is a solid piece of hardware and pretty innovative form factor. It is a niche product but it has a lot of flexibility, more so than anything Apple currently makes.