Steve Jobs Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Church

Pot meet kettle... Your statement is pretty much on the same level of demagogic stupidity as Westboro statements.

Only profound ignorance or maliciousness could cause someone to make the idiotic comparison of Westboro and mainstream religion. A small amount of actual knowledge on the subject will inform anyone that Westboro is out of the mainstream... one would have to look hard to find a mainstream religious group that has not condemned Westboros antics.

Westboro isn't that far removed from mainstream religion in the united states. Their views are vile and contemptuous, but so are the views of most religions. The difference between them and the other crazies worshiping a fairy tale is they at least have the gumption to jump ahead to evangelism's logical conclusion of unbridled hatred and contempt for humanity.

Your average preacher on the pulpit might indeed condemn Westboro's methods, but there is a thin and eroding line between their ideological motivations.

I'm a Christian, and I totally don't agree with what this church is doing. Terrible. This church is NOT practicing God's will, they are hypocrites.

I do think there needs to be a law disallowing protesting at funerals, weddings, and other events of that nature. Especially funerals.

Whatever happened to not casting the first stone...

Not entirely sure how this idea differs from the few initially followers of early Christianity? Going around and telling people their way of life is wrong and only they have they know the truth. Seems to me, trying teaching people that Intelligent Design is as likely as Evolution and that Homosexuality is evil is FAR more dangerous than some nutcases protesting an already dead person...

More knee jerk stereotyping and bigoted demagoguery and a bad case of projection.

I have to think these guys are wasting their time. It's not like Steve is going to be buried in a publicly-accessible graveyard. He had enough money to buy a few square miles of land and put a 20 foot wall around it to keep these idiots away from his grave. :p

Not entirely sure how this idea differs from the few initially followers of early Christianity? Going around and telling people their way of life is wrong and only they have they know the truth. Seems to me, trying teaching people that Intelligent Design is as likely as Evolution and that Homosexuality is evil is FAR more dangerous than some nutcases protesting an already dead person...

I'm pretty sure the original followers of Christ gave to the poor, fed the hungry, helped the sick, and spread the good news.

It's amazing how far "Christians" like the WBC have fallen from the original message. One of my favorite quotes:

Gandhi said:
I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

(For what it's worth, yes I identify with Christianity, and yes I put my money where my mouth is.)

Someone dies and those idiots from Westboro think that's the best time to protest. I was never an Apple fan but someone has died and should get his last respects from his friends and family. Its just horribly rude and tacky that someone would protest a funeral.

Hopefully their bad Karma will come back and bite them in the ass which they deserve.

LMFAO you are being just as one minded as the Westboro Church group. The irony is hilarious.

Bunch of attention whores should get no media coverage, then they go away. Theyll be picketing kim kardashians wedding (has that happened yet?)

But still makes no sense they protest AFTER someone is dead...:confused:

Kind of surprised they are the only protesters...though. No human rights/enviromentalist/blah blah blah.

Steve Jobs and George Lucas were friends, right? With the spare money they have, the estate should conjure up some Industrial Light and Magic - zombie Steve Jobs, opening the door to his crypt, looks at WBC - "WHO DARES DISTURB MY SLUMBER?!"

Westboro isn't going to get anywhere with this... Apple and the Jobs family is so tight lipped about everything before they even get one shred of information, the dirt over his coffin will already have settled.

I'm a Christian, and I totally don't agree with what this church is doing. Terrible. This church is NOT practicing God's will, they are hypocrites.

What they are doing is entirely appalling but, suppose that is what their god says to do. How are you to differentiate between the two? Why is your's right and their's not?

Steve Jobs and George Lucas were friends, right? With the spare money they have, the estate should conjure up some Industrial Light and Magic - zombie Steve Jobs, opening the door to his crypt, looks at WBC - "WHO DARES DISTURB MY SLUMBER?!"

That might be the original plan...but it would be changed and have little irritating furry things running around and a little extra scene where samsung shot first :p

We're in a country of double standards. If Muslim extremists somehow represent all Muslims, shouldn't Christian semi-extremists represent all Christians?

Either way, Steve Jobs did more in his lifetime (good *or* bad) than most of us ever will. I give respect for that.

“Westboro will picket his funeral. He had a huge platform; gave God no glory & taught sin,”
Heh, I wonder how they expected Mr Jobs to give God glory for Apple's success. Put a picture of Jesus on every iPhone case?

These people have always been about seeking attention, but they seems to be getting more desperate.

They are not mainstream religion, they are the extreme fringe that 99% of other churches would disagree with. They aren't even really a church - it's all just one family, the Phelps. You want to know what type of people they are? Well, somebody pointed out they tweeted this on THEIR iPhone, and their response was that Apple only thinks it invented the iPhone and that it was actually God using Apple to create the iPhone so that makes it ok for them to protest and announce the protest using the very product of the guy they're protesting.

Basically - with this family they're going to be out there doing crazy things even if nobody is paying attention. No logic or discussion is going to ever dissuade them from something. They're just the type that wants to go out there and annoy everybody, and even if the media pays them no attention at all they'll still go out there and annoy people on a local scale.

Agreed,

These folks can't call themselves Christians with their idiotic acts. This "church" has nothing to really do with God or Christ.....they are just really out for themselves. And to be more specific, 99.99999% of churches disagree with their actions. The .000001% is of course them.

We're in a country of double standards. If Muslim extremists somehow represent all Muslims, shouldn't Christian semi-extremists represent all Christians?

Either way, Steve Jobs did more in his lifetime (good *or* bad) than most of us ever will. I give respect for that.

Muslim extremist only represent Islam to those who don't know or full of hate....*shrugs*
It's sucks that Steve Jobs died . While I wasn't a huge fan of the products per se, he was a forward thinker in the field.

I'm incredibly sick of hearing about the weirdos at the Westboro Church. It's people like this who give Christians a bad name with their abundant ignorance and lack of common sense. Steve Jobs was an incredible visionary who's contributions to the world will never be forgotten.

These jerk offs and false prophets picketed a high school about a mile away from my old house. Best you can do is just ignore them. But it is fun to see everyone else drive by and flip them off and what not. Shows that no one cares for them.

hold the funeral in texas on private property

if they are dumb enough to tresspass, let them deal with the consequences in a state that allows self defence

Agreed,

These folks can't call themselves Christians with their idiotic acts. This "church" has nothing to really do with God or Christ.....they are just really out for themselves. And to be more specific, 99.99999% of churches disagree with their actions. The .000001% is of course them.

Totally agree. They are just attention whores :(

Yes, he did not give GOD the glory and taught sin. However, doing what they are going to do is NOT going to bring ANYONE to Christ at all. I honestly do not see where that particular church is going to accomplish other than pushing people away from Christ. :(

Even then, nobody should rejoice in the death of another.

Agreed,

Yes, he did not give GOD the glory and taught sin. However, doing what they are going to do is NOT going to bring ANYONE to Christ at all. I honestly do not see where that particular church is going to accomplish other than pushing people away from Christ. :(

Even then, nobody should rejoice in the death of another.

Agreed with both of you.

I'm honestly amazed nothing has happened to this bunch yet, particularly at some of these military funerals. I have to believe it's just a matter of time.

I know I felt at my own loved ones funerals.

WBC isnt a church its a cult. There is no doubt their "leader" is manipulating his followers.

I also laughed at the whole thou shalt be a douche thing.

They need to tresspass on a minefield.

I can tell you right now how to stop these people and protect THEIR rights at the same time. Allow them to protest funerals but, for safety reasons, they must protest no closer than one mile from the funeral route, funeral home and or cemetery.

Something similar was actually done during the funeral of one of the children who was killed during the Tucson shooting earlier this year. Westboro was going to "protest" at it and an emergency law was passed that required them to be at least 300 ft. away.

(Also, how the hell are these assholes still alive after protesting so many military funerals? Especially USMC.)

Nothing has "happened" to them because the rest of us are civilized.

Have you ever been a serious state of grief and/or rage?

Trust me. It's just a matter of time before their bluff gets called.

If they disliked Steve Jobs so much as to protest his funeral, why didn't they protest any one of the thousands of press events where he announced all of these sinful devices at over the years?

WBC do not exist to me.

I don't think it's a bluff. I think it's what they want - I've read elsewhere that this is a business for them. Go out and protest in a highly inflammatory fashion, get assaulted, sue for $, repeat.

Have you ever been a serious state of grief and/or rage?

I agree, they piss me off. Luckily, groups like the Patriot Riders come out to help those in mourning.

I don't think it's a bluff. I think it's what they want - I've read elsewhere that this is a business for them. Go out and protest in a highly inflammatory fashion, get assaulted, sue for $, repeat.

Got a point.

Back