Steve Jobs Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rest in peace to a man that gave us technological innovation after innovation. A man that played by his own rules and bent the world, and its people, to his will. No matter what anyone may think of him, he lived an amazing life, and accomplished more in his 56 years than most can hope to accomplish in 560 years.

I hope you never have to wait *years* for a transplant.

It's not fair at all .. nor am I claiming that it is, Rather, if we were all persons of great wealth and that that wealth may have the power to save our lives ...

... would we try ?

Or would we say: well I'm rich .. so I'll just die now ?

Even though most of us show a hatred toward Steve Jobs the person, we have to remember something. I know people will deny this but hear me out. This man helped shape the world today. He did not make tablets, personal computers, etc. But, he did give them the thrust and recognition to push them further. He was one of the best businessman ever, and always will be. Now, I know he wasn't a great person; but, he still deserves credit. This man didn't deserve to die the way he did. He wasn't the greatest person or idol but he should be respected. Rest in peace, Steve. You will be missed.

‎"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life.... Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs. Thank you for following your heart.

The modern day Henry Ford. I've never been an Apple guy but I have a lot of respect for him and his company resurgence, all guided by him with the iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iPad, Macbook, etc. Great consumer level products. His passion for technology was amazing. I wish I had 10% of his fearless desire in life, which was cut too short. RIP.

It's not fair at all .. nor am I claiming that it is, Rather, if we were all persons of great wealth and that that wealth may have the power to save our lives ...

... would we try ?

Or would we say: well I'm rich .. so I'll just die now ?

Nope, but you have to wonder at the morals of a man that *knew* it was only going to extend his life minimally and still did it. I wouldn't expect you to understand this dilemma, but it's one that I see my wife face every day. A little near and dear, if you will.

Even though most of us show a hatred toward Steve Jobs the person, we have to remember something. I know people will deny this but hear me out. This man helped shape the world today. He did not make tablets, personal computers, etc. But, he did give them the thrust and recognition to push them further.

I agree with this overall. I'd say the brilliance was that he actually pushed back at times. The iPad is a great example of this. The iPad is simply a much less complex device than say something like a Tablet PC. Not saying that in a bad way, it's just simpler.

One of Microsoft's challenges with Windows 8 is that its a HELL of complex OS. It supports desktops, laptops, tablets and it's core will be the next Windows Phone. It can use touchscreens, keyboards, mice and pens. x86 tablets will run all existing Windows software and the new Metro apps. It runs on x86 and ARM. It supports all existing Windows hardware, it supports one monitor or a half dozen. Jobs would NEVER push anything like Windows 8 because of all of that complexity.

One of Microsoft's challenges with Windows 8 is that its a HELL of complex OS. It supports desktops, laptops, tablets and it's core will be the next Windows Phone. It can use touchscreens, keyboards, mice and pens. x86 tablets will run all existing Windows software and the new Metro apps. It runs on x86 and ARM. It supports all existing Windows hardware, it supports one monitor or a half dozen. Jobs would NEVER push anything like Windows 8 because of all of that complexity.

Obligatory Microsoft plug fulfilled?

Sad to hear. I may disagree with some of the characteristics of his products (although I can't say whether or not it was the conscious decision of the man himself)... but life is life.

Until it's gone.

This event can be perceived in a number of ways: good, bad, ugly, etc., etc. I think it's the end of an era, and potentially the beginning of the end of Apple. Not sure about that last bit, but let's just say that I wouldn't be significantly surprised...

Again, I disagree with some of the characteristics of their systems, and I have issues with the mindset that tends to go with the use of their computers (it seems to me that Mac users care even less about how to use and care for their systems than do PC people...), but it would be wrong of me to wish him a "good riddance" or such.

He most definitely made mistakes; he's human, after all, and all humans make mistakes -- but that misses the point. Remember him not for what he did wrong, but what he did right -- or at least differently.

I, for one, hope that he's enjoying his time in the iHereafter.

Well that saddens me. I'm no Apple fanatic, and I definitely don't like their personal computers, but my iPhone and iPad are pretty much the nicest devices I've owned and the man deserves respect for what he accomplished in technology.

Call me pessimistic, but I really believe Apple is nothing without him. I'd love to be proven wrong, but the Apple-without-Steve track record isn't good so far. :(

Obligatory Microsoft plug fulfilled?

Seriously, can you keep it out of just this thread for once?

Wonder if any of you haters will be mentioned on google.com's homepage when you die?

Didn't think so. Lost my respect to H and a lot of the posters here a long time ago.

This is me singing off as well. Stay classy H.

wnHegh.jpg

Even though most of us show a hatred toward Steve Jobs the person, we have to remember something. I know people will deny this but hear me out. This man helped shape the world today. He did not make tablets, personal computers, etc. But, he did give them the thrust and recognition to push them further. He was one of the best businessman ever, and always will be. Now, I know he wasn't a great person; but, he still deserves credit. This man didn't deserve to die the way he did. He wasn't the greatest person or idol but he should be respected. Rest in peace, Steve. You will be missed.

I learned how to poprerly type on an Apple II. RIP Steve.

*properly ;)

Watching the news and frankly, hearing nothing about what an awsome person he was, how he "invented" so many new things and such, kind of making me sick,.....

Watching the news and frankly, hearing nothing about what an awsome person he was, how he "invented" so many new things and such, kind of making me sick,.....

Jobs didn't invent, I'll give you that. He went further than inventing: Jobs perfected. That is, arguably, far more important than inventing. Bringing something that people WANT to use to market is an entirely different ball game than bringing something to market that people hold their nose while they have to use it.

Smart phones were bulky, expensive, and had short battery lives. Jobs perfected the smart phone and now everyone has one.
Tablets were bulky, expensive, and inefficient. Jobs perfected the tablet, and it's now a technology staple.

That is by definition GREED
"excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs or deserves"

I'm sorry but when you have enough money to change the fucking world, to better f'ing society as a whole its your f'ing duty to change it. I doubt this fuck ever even paid any taxes.

Wow, who the hell do you think you are to say who deserves to do what with their money?!
Fucking arrogance at its worst!
Your forum name should be Chairman Mao. :rolleyes:

Not a single word in that long, rambling obituary about any philanthropic efforts by Steve Jobs.

I have a funny feeling there wouldn't be a 300+ post RIP thread (of mostly sincere people) had Bill Gates died.

It's beside the point that his contributions to technology/computing/IT have been at least as great as Steve Jobs' and he's also given more to philanthropic causes than Jobs made in his entire lifetime.

Steve was a visionary, a master marketer, and very, very ruthless. It is undeniably true that the world wouldn't be where it is today without him, and that is both a good and a bad thing.

Cancer, especially prolonged cancer, is a shitty way to die, and I don't wish it on anyone, not even a polarizing figure like Jobs. My sympathy goes out to his family, but past that, shit happens, man's dead, who cares.

I only hope new corporate leadership will make Apple better able to actually be a good company in all the intangible ways aside from quarterly earnings and profit margins. I would like to see corporate philanthropy return. I would like to see Apple care more about human rights and safety violations in its supply chains. I would like to see Apple become more active in not just making new gadgets, but making their production and reclamation more friendly to the environment so that generations of hipsters to come can drool over them.

Just like how two people may not agree on what makes good art; while I never agreed with his tastes and some of his actions and statements, I have to admit that I admire and aspire to his philosophy in almost every single way.

Steve Jobs on life and death said:
When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: “If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.” It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

When I was young, there was an amazing publication called The Whole Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation. It was created by a fellow named Stewart Brand not far from here in Menlo Park, and he brought it to life with his poetic touch. This was in the late 1960′s, before personal computers and desktop publishing, so it was all made with typewriters, scissors and Polaroid cameras. It was sort of like Google in paperback form, 35 years before Google came along: it was idealistic, and overflowing with neat tools and great notions.

Stewart and his team put out several issues of The Whole Earth Catalog, and then when it had run its course, they put out a final issue. It was the mid-1970s, and I was your age. On the back cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were so adventurous. Beneath it were the words: “Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.” It was their farewell message as they signed off. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

Thank you all very much.

It's a rare man who can take that philosophy and run away with it, and live it out to it's fullest every day without compromise. Reading his past writings and watching his prophetic statements he has made at various points of his career on Youtube, I find I admire the man much more than I ever did before and that I am very much encouraged and also shamed in the way that I am not making the most of my time.

Does everyone know that he started Apple at 21? What were you doing at 21?

When Steve Jobs was 12, he phoned Walter Hewlett - you know, the founder of Hewlett Packard and had a 20 minute conversation with him and subsequently got hired for a summer job by HP.

What were you doing at 12?

The modern day Henry Ford. I've never been an Apple guy but I have a lot of respect for him and his company resurgence, all guided by him with the iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iPad, Macbook, etc. Great consumer level products. His passion for technology was amazing. I wish I had 10% of his fearless desire in life, which was cut too short. RIP.

Hes not even comparable, Henry Ford had a philosophy that his employees that made the products could also afford them. He payed his workers more than double the average salary at the time. I see hardly any effort by apple to do the same. The assembly line technique that Ford pioneered is more game changing than all the Apple products together.

RIP to someone who had a vision. Someone who executed that vision. Love him, hate him, indifferent; no need to get into that now. 56 is too young. He has had an indelible impact on technology for the people of the world. Enough said.

This thread should be locked. So much disrespect for the man. You guys who disrespect the dead act like you're model citizens and angels when you're far from it. Judge not lest ye judge thyself.

Take your own advice?

]
I have a funny feeling there wouldn't be a 300+ post RIP thread (of mostly sincere people) had Bill Gates died.

Very, very wrong.... seriously, if Gates died as young as Jobs did (or even when he dies in the future), there will be as great an outpouring of grief... People the world over recognize Gates as a great man, for some similar, and some different reasons than Jobs, but he is definitely revered in a similar way.....

That said....

Jobs was an undeniably important leader and CEO.... he truly was the Howard Hughes+John D. Rockefeller of our time

I don't give a damn about Apple. I have never liked Apple. I even hate Apple.

But Steve Jobs is an example of a human being who never compromised and lived life to his fullest according to his aspirations and goals and I admire that more than anything else. I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration and envy for what he was able to accomplish in his life.

I hate this forum more and more every day. You all are pussies for fighting over something so stupid. Say your prayers and just ignore the negativity. Is it that fucking hard? Tired of hearing all you crying sissies!

Rip Steve jobs!

Peace im out!

RIP to someone who had a vision. Someone who executed that vision. Love him, hate him, indifferent; no need to get into that now. 56 is too young. He has had an indelible impact on technology for the people of the world. Enough said.
Every single word you said can be applied to Hitler. Enough said.

But Steve Jobs is an example of a human being who never compromised and lived life to his fullest according to his aspirations and goals and I admire that more than anything else. I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration and envy...
So you would allow your daughter to literally be living on welfare while you lived in opulence, and refuse to even pay child support until you were court ordered? And that is behavior your respect and admire? Kanye West is an immensely successful entertainer, but that doesn't mean you distort reality or pretend he was a saint to admire and respect upon his passing.

Steve Jobs is an example of a human being that had numerous faults, many of which that would cause people around him to consider him overtly selfish, egotistical, tyrannical, and ruthless.

No one is perfect, but when the "cult of Mac" idolizes him like a deity, its outright disgusting and the reason that you're reading comments from "haters" that are really just "reality police". Saw the same thing after Michael Jackson passed, suddenly the whole world forgot about his running out of the hospital with a bloody infant, dangling a baby out the window, drug addiction, and pedophilia charges.

Glad all you Steve Jobs haters are having a fun time tonight.. hopefully these will add to your entertainment..

stevejobsgrave.jpg
93036_matter.jpg

coffinimortal-thumb-520x334.jpg

Laugh it up while you still can.. then go out and do better than he did!!

Unrelated topic ---> I think we need a [H] collection to get $60 to give to Kyle!! The way he is going crazy about RAGE, I am afraid he is going to break a blood vessel, go on a shooting spree or just lose his mind until he gets his $60 back!! HELP KYLE.. Donate generously!! Send your $ to Plano, TX 75025.. NOW!! Before it is too late!!

Reactions: Santa
like this
No one is perfect, but when the "cult of Mac" idolizes him like a deity, its outright disgusting and the reason that you're reading comments from "haters" that are really just "reality police". Saw the same thing after Michael Jackson passed, suddenly the whole world forgot about his running out of the hospital with a bloody infant, dangling a baby out the window, drug addiction, and pedophilia charges.

lol, I hate to admit it, but there is some truth in what you say.

Every single word you said can be applied to Hitler. Enough said.

Somewhat inappropriate, but a fitting analogy to point out the flaw inherent in kissing someones ass just because they've died. Even Hitler could be eulogized in an overwhelmingly positive way if you ignore the whole mass genocide and needless wars bit. That's not to say Jobs is anything like Hitler, obviously, but it's an interesting impeachment of the idea that when someone dies we should only remember the good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back