Steve Jobs Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
much respect to Jobs though.

he put tablets on the map, and drove pc design. Look at all the pc oem's biting apple.
and he got hundreds of millions of people to part ways with their hard earned cash.

Apple alone probably staved off the Great Depression v2.

Cook has huge shoes to fill. First thing he needs to do is work on his presentation skills.
Only other person who is less exciting than Cook is Mark zuckerburg

A human life is a human life. All lives are worth the same... excepting maybe mass-murderers etc.

As someone already said, Steve made cool tech gadgets. He didn't cure cancer, he wasn't on the cutting edge of science, he didn't invent faster-than-light travel, he didn't eradicate aids, he didn't make food crops bloom in the desert, he didn't end world hunger or droughts. He took what was there and made it look good and fuction well.

It's sad that he's gone, and I'm interested to see what happens to Apple in the next 5 or so years, but the pedestal that people put him on, and the almost religious reverence that some people show him, is entirely undeserving.

LOL, liberals. So if you had to kill one person so that an antidote could be made to save millions you wouldn't? You can rest assured some people are worth more than others. Just not in this case, where a guy made gadgets and called them magical.

A human life is a human life. All lives are worth the same.
Reminds me of the Onion article about a horrible accident that killed several people but luckily spared Lindsay Lohan. Jobs was great at marketing and ran his company well and most would argue he was compensated far in excess of his value to society (over $8 billion), but I didn't know him personally anymore than most here on the forum. Like most ueber-wealthy self-absorbed CEOs he likely wouldn't spare a squirt of piss if I were rolling in front of him on fire so I don't understand the celebrity worship, and in fact find it insulting that so many altruistic individuals fighting in Iraq or running into burning buildings get no such attention even in their hometowns local news.

LOL, liberals. So if you had to kill one person so that an antidote could be made to save millions you wouldn't? You can rest assured some people are worth more than others. Just not in this case, where a guy made gadgets and called them magical.

It's not the people that are worth more or less than one another, it's the choices we make with each other that count. :)

RIP Steve.

Cancer sucks for those close to the suffering. It's like watching someone you love die over of the course of one to several years. If you can't empathize, well, I hope you trip and a car runs over your head.

So how important are you relative to everyone else?
Considering how you bitch and moan about life being unfair and blah blah blah, that sounds pretty liberal imo.

Lighten up man, life is too short. ;)

He was a masterful talent at bringing interesting products to market. He had a huge impact on the industry as a whole. It's impossible to replace that.

Only time someone is worth more than others is when that one person sacrifices themselves for the greater good of the whole. Take a dead soldier for example. They died so you could live. To me, that person is worth more than you or me or anyone else for that matter. Jobs was not worth more than anyone else in terms of a human being.

Didnt approve of the guy, but respected how well he did it. It is too bad what happened, and too young. RIP. Good game.

Your analogy is wrong. 1 person's life is not worth millions. Each individual life is just as equal as the next individual life.

Your analogy should read that when deciding which 1 person to kill to save those millions, any one random person's life is just as equal as the next.

A more appropriate title would have been, "Selfish prick dies".

You have yet to PM me with any info with what I asked you about.

Back your claims if you know so much.
Like I said before, I'm all ears.

Ill pass, you dont seem very rational. It would just end up being an argument with no end.

Wow. I guess maybe he should have stepped down sooner and concentrated on improving his health.
RIP

Buying your way on to a donor list pisses over all sorts of moral and ethical rules. Yeah, he stole it. Role your eyes at someone else there, cowboy.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Give it a rest! So disrespectful.

Would anyone think of the poor shareholders, execs and employees at Foxconn before making such comments about how the man only makes gadgets and called them magical?

Non-jokes aside, Jobs is deeply mourned for the loss of a brilliant tycoon. Not since Thomas Edison have we seen a man to arise to possess such copyright acumen, entrepreneurial ruthlessness, power of persuasion, manufacturing misery/mastery and complete grasp of the value chain. Here was a premier mogul that few can match.

He made gadgets, and he changed the lives of many. From the staffs at Hong Hai/ Foxconn, the litigation team at Samsung, the R&D at Chimei, the OS experience team at Microsoft, the Google Android team, the homebrew jailbreakers and those that sue them, the peripheral designers at Logitech, the layout artist for New York Times, the architects at ARM, the Ultrabook team at Intel and the fabrication engineers of TSMC... to name just a few. His gadgets makes and breaks the entire semiconductor, Intellectual Property, Consumer Electronics, Consumer Computing and the Software sectors. Those of us involved in international trades are pretty much stunned at the prospect of the post-Jobs technology sector.

Exactly.

And the brutal and hurtful truth is, Steve's life was probably worth more than most other peoples. The guy generated the means for a lot of other people to live out their dreams in the forms of careers and jobs.

Apparently he had no intestinal fortitude since he couldn't survive longer with his new liver. I guess the liver did not think his life was worth too much.

Oh yeah, my dad got a liver transplant 16 years ago and is still around and kicking.

Tell that to the thousands of people that have jobs because of his ideas and company.
Because those people couldn't have instead simply gotten jobs at competitors that would have filled that vacuum, like Dell, HP, Asus, Toshiba, etc. And you would be emotionally devastated if Bill Gates died tomorrow? At least Gates has been giving back as well for quite a while now with his devotion to his charity work. What about the CEO of Halliburton or Shell? These CEOs are generally good at what they do and they made themselves immensely wealthy from it, there's no obvious signs of altruism or personal connection that justifies a religious like worship of the guys.

Lmao, you're on a path to get banned IMHO.

His point stands. If one life is sacrificed to save a million, the net gain is 999999 lives. Logic stands.

I think it says a lot that when he knew he was sick, instead of blowing everything off and going nuts on a spending spree around the world like most people would do he stayed where he was and worked on something he believed in. (the iPad) Anybody who grew up into science fiction has wanted a tablet for a long time, and finally here was one that was thin, and light enough to take with you on the go just like we'd seen in all those scifi shows.

Quote: "People who work closely with Mr. Jobs said the project was so important to him that he was intimately involved in its planning even while recovering from his 2009 liver transplant."

How many of you would continue working where you are, doing exactly what you're doing right now, if you knew time was limited?

Yeah, as long as you consider forging dates on stock options to increase executive payout something that a "great person" would do.

guys like that are far more effective at saving the closing line of the day's stock market than any government's own emergency stash. ;(

This man was truly a great visionary and intellectual genius. His brilliance and tenacity will be missed. Even though many of us do not "like" Apple products, he undoubtedly revolutionized the technology industry and will be remembered as such.

Yeah, as long as you consider forging dates on stock options to increase executive payout something that a "great person" would do.

Great has lots of meanings.

He might not have been the "nicest" person (although that is debatable, no one here obviously knows him), but he was BIG - like it or not.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Give it a rest! So disrespectful.

Excuse me? How blind are you? You're lucky I don't want to get banned, you deserve an earful. The man was nothing but a greedy, greedy, CEO who, typically, you libs bash.

Grow up.

LOL, people who think I'm a liberal.

The problem with the above statements is that you haven't read what I said. You have a scale of one life to millions of lives. I have a scale of one life to one life. If I had to kill some random person to save one other random person then no, I wouldn't. If I had to kill one random person to save millions of random people, well that's a TOTALLY different proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back