Steve Ballmer to Retire as Microsoft CEO

I think that for the first time in a while Microsoft does have a pretty clear direction, but execution of the details have tripped them up a lot. Ballmer is definitely a number cruncher and he actually did pull Microsoft through the anti-trust stuff very well. Now that that's over he did finally focus on technical strategy but it was very late to come in the mobile space.

The technical platform of Windows 8/RT and the Modern UI are very solid foundations Even the most vocal Windows 8 opponents say all that is needed is a Metro off switch and Windows 8 would be flying off the shelves. I don't believe that simply because the new PC market is shrinking. The ability to make Windows work on different devices and in different ways is absolutely critical to the future of Windows. But perhaps a new CEO can clean up the details. It's going to be interesting and hopefully they will be able to get a great candidate and go from here.

This!

I remember Windows 7 beta. I installed it on a separate partition. After a week, I didn't even boot into XP. The beta was THAT good.
When Windows 8 beta came out, I did the same thing. After a week, it was deleted and Ubuntu was in its place.

Then I got to try a Windows RT tablet in my store. I GOT IT! It worked, was smooth, had office, was light and had a great feel to it. The touch UI was great for a tablet. I would actually like to get one. The only issue is I cant justify it when I have an Ipad and android tablet.

I think a lot of us here are [H]ardcore PC or Mac users. I admit. It does not work well for a non-touch based PC. but for a touchscreen. it is amazing! Better than apple and android in my opinion.

I also think a lot of people compared it to a full desktop or laptop, and this was microsofts fault for putting desktop mode in and not explaining it well enough. I look at it as a tablet UI with the addition of a comfortable desktop as extra. true, you can not run desktop apps, but neither can the ipad or android tablets!. If microsoft had more developer support, I could see them overtaking android. that and they need to fix windows phone to make it more streamlined.

I didn't know chair throwing was counted as a technical strategy. ;)

Either way, I think MS will be better off without him.

Methinks Windows Zune cost him his job. I mean Windows 8 ahem.

There's been pressure on Ballmer to resign for a long time now and I imagine that given the execution mistakes that have occurred with Windows 8, Windows RT's failure to this point and the Xbox One launch mishaps probably had a lot of the board unhappy with the tactical problems. But my guess is that most of Microsoft's leadership is on board with the overall strategy. Metro isn't going away to simply have the same desktop that's facing a shrinking market for instance. I see the new CEO cleaning up the execution, being more responsive to feedback, putting more emphasis and fortifying app development on the mobile platform, perhaps buying Nokia or some other hardware maker. I don't think that Microsoft needs an Extreme Maker, just a good one.

To me, I don't know if any of this matters, what exactly is a new CEO going to do to fix anything? A lot of the shit people blame on windows 8 or otherwise is not the main problem. The main problem already passed, MS lost the mobile space and short of a CEO with a time machine they have very few options. Most of the people here do not say much bad about MS mobile offerings. So what is there to fix, what great thing can a new CEO do to get them back in mobile? I will tell you what, the only thing a new CEO can do is try to take massive losses to build a mobile market share, that's pretty much it. Do you think the share holders are going to put up with that? Do you really think if they release windows 9 and its just like windows 7 that they are going to see massive growth in mobile?

Now lets look at XBOX, what can MS do at this point to fix Xbox, I know some people who are pretty stupid will say things like take out Kinect, but that will only set them up for failure with Kinect, and it wont fix the fact that the xbone is weaker. So what options do you guys have that will fix their problem and be allowable by the share holders? Once again there is only 1 option, MS has to slash the price and take huge losses. Shareholders will not last on that account, they will want this new CEO gone after a year or 2 as well.

So to me the only possible successful CEO would be one who shareholders BLINDLY trust. The type of person like steve jobs where they just ride is junk so hard he could kill their dog and they would say, I am sure that made sense. There are very few people like that, maybe Bezos, or Gates himself. I say get ready for a change of leadership that will send MS into a death spiral where they flip a leader out half way through execution of a plan, and keep doing it over and over, they might even get a few gold parachute types, probably pick up a bad German CEO. No one internally can solve their problems unless that persons only goal is to keep pluggin away at what they are doing.

Even the most vocal Windows 8 opponents say all that is needed is a Metro off switch and Windows 8 would be flying off the shelves. I don't believe that simply because the new PC market is shrinking.

The most vocal Windows 8 opponents happen to be Microsoft's largest source of revenue and license volume: enterprise businesses. Being able to turn Metro off and including a desktop complete with start button and start menu ala Win7 would make Win8 and new PC sales soar. Volume customers beget volume sales.

1. I also think a lot of people compared it to a full desktop or laptop, and this was microsofts fault for putting desktop mode in and not explaining it well enough.

2. I look at it as a tablet UI with the addition of a comfortable desktop as extra.

3. true, you can not run desktop apps, but neither can the ipad or android tablets!.

4. If microsoft had more developer support, I could see them overtaking android. that and they need to fix windows phone to make it more streamlined.

1. What choice did people have? Win8 has been forced on to every new PC being sold right now. The crippled desktop mode seems like an afterthought, and this is exactly how a majority of people see it.

2. I agree that it was designed as a touchscreen OS. And a majority of people certainly don't feel the Win8 "desktop" is a...comfortable...extra.

3. MS was severely late to market with their own app store driven tablet when iOS and Android devices have been out for years. They should have never released a crippled Win8 variant and focused on sourcing and releasing cheaper, more affordable full Win8 touch enabled devices. But now they've missed that boat, too. Lots of OEMs have released full Win8 touch-enabled tablets, convertibles, ultrabooks, and laptops with significantly lower price tags.

4. It's not a matter of having developer support... it's a matter developers NOT wanting to have to double up on efforts and expenses for two different Win8 platforms, plus all the customers not wanting to feel the need to buy a full Win8 device after they were duped into buying a crippled Win8 device to be able to use an extensive software library they either already spent money on or would like to buy.

Being able to turn Metro off and including a desktop complete with start button and start menu ala Win7 would make Win8 and new PC sales soar. Volume customers beget volume sales.
I think we're being more than a little disingenuous here. What is so compelling to enterprises about Windows 8 that they would not only upgrade from Windows 7, but replace existing machines in the wake of Start Menu availability?

There are features of potential interest to the enterprise marker, yeah, but is it really that much of a slam dunk?

Being able to turn Metro off and including a desktop complete with start button and start menu ala Win7 would make Win8 and new PC sales soar. Volume customers beget volume sales.

Why? Most in this crowd are just going to Windows 7. And the larger businesses have so much tied up in going to 7 even if 8 were the greatest desktop in the history in the universe it would hardly matter, 7 was the path they took long before 8 came out.

1. What choice did people have? Win8 has been forced on to every new PC being sold right now. The crippled desktop mode seems like an afterthought, and this is exactly how a majority of people see it.

8 on the desktop is some crippled that when using a multi-monitor 7 system I'm looking for task bar on all of the monitors and going WTF.

2. I agree that it was designed as a touchscreen OS. And a majority of people certainly don't feel the Win8 "desktop" is a...comfortable...extra.

Windows 8 was designed to operate with all common forms of input. That did necessitate a change in the basic UI that was designed long before the era of touch computing devices.

3. MS was severely late to market with their own app store driven tablet when iOS and Android devices have been out for years. They should have never released a crippled Win8 variant and focused on sourcing and releasing cheaper, more affordable full Win8 touch enabled devices. But now they've missed that boat, too. Lots of OEMs have released full Win8 touch-enabled tablets, convertibles, ultrabooks, and laptops with significantly lower price tags.

I can agree with a lot of this. But that does require some help from Intel. Bay Trail is critical test if what you're saying here is going to happen.

4. It's not a matter of having developer support... it's a matter developers NOT wanting to have to double up on efforts and expenses for two different Win8 platforms, plus all the customers not wanting to feel the need to buy a full Win8 device after they were duped into buying a crippled Win8 device to be able to use an extensive software library they either already spent money on or would like to buy.

If a developer were developing for Windows RT API this normally isn't going to be a problem as Windows 8 and RT Modern apps generally run on either 8 or RT from a single binary. There are some performance and capability exceptions where Windows RT is restricted to only x86 devices.

I think we're being more than a little disingenuous here. What is so compelling to enterprises about Windows 8 that they would not only upgrade from Windows 7, but replace existing machines in the wake of Start Menu availability?

There are features of potential interest to the enterprise marker, yeah, but is it really that much of a slam dunk?

Its an issue of stop the hemorrhaging at this point. Enterprise customers that already went Win7 because Win8's Metro represented too much of a disruption and cost/training issue are a lost cause until Win9+. But enterprises that have not yet decided to move to Win7 or Win8 would have no major downsides if the Metro dealbreaker was able to be switched off with a GPO.

To me, I don't know if any of this matters, what exactly is a new CEO going to do to fix anything? A lot of the shit people blame on windows 8 or otherwise is not the main problem. The main problem already passed, MS lost the mobile space and short of a CEO with a time machine they have very few options. Most of the people here do not say much bad about MS mobile offerings.

No offense but that's moronic. The CEO is the ultimate decisionmaker especially when it comes to big shifts in strategy and policy. Example the attempt at trying to Metro-fy the entire Windows lineup required Ballmer to ultimately sign off on it, and sign off he did which is why he's now paying the price.

As for what and how to fix and move forward and pick up the pieces for the terrible shortsightedness of recent years, thats a whole other topic.

Its an issue of stop the hemorrhaging at this point. Enterprise customers that already went Win7 because Win8's Metro represented too much of a disruption and cost/training issue are a lost cause until Win9+. But enterprises that have not yet decided to move to Win7 or Win8 would have no major downsides if the Metro dealbreaker was able to be switched off with a GPO.

We've got to better define the word "enterprise" in this forum. You, DPI could have designed Windows 8 to every specification that you thought was best for the desktop and we would still never touched it with a ten foot poll had it launched in 2012. We have hundreds of thousands of PCs, well over 10,000 client side pieces of software in our catalog. It takes YEARS to test and retrofit and fix things on this scale. The Modern UI would have been the least of our concerns.

No offense but that's moronic. The CEO is the ultimate decisionmaker especially when it comes to big shifts in strategy and policy. Example the attempt at trying to Metro-fy the entire Windows lineup required Ballmer to ultimately sign off on it, and sign off he did which is why he's now paying the price.

As for what and how to fix and move forward and pick up the pieces for the terrible shortsightedness of recent years, thats a whole other topic.

I would dare you to say no to Bill Gates particularly if he made you on of the richest people on Earth. Gates signed off on Windows 8.

Ironically it might make most sense at this point to break Microsoft into 4 or 5 different companies ... I am not sure they can find a CEO capable of restoring them to their previous glory ... if they could steal one of the upper execs from Facebook, Google, Apple, SAP, Oracle, Intel, Sony, or one of the other top tech companies they might be able to recover, but it is hardly a guarantee

Although it is out of their price range I would like to see MS and NVidia merge and Jen-Hsun Huang become CEO ... I think that would be an extremely interesting combination ... we'll just have to see what they ultimately come up with

Even a thousand mile journey begins with a first step...the first step is admitting you have a problem...and Ballmer to most embodies that problem. Whether MS changes with him gone will tell us exactly how much power he had,imho.

Even a thousand mile journey begins with a first step...the first step is admitting you have a problem...and Ballmer to most embodies that problem. Whether MS changes with him gone will tell us exactly how much power he had,imho.

Bingo. Case in point: HP. Carly promised good things, and the company started to falter. Then Hurd promised to clean up the mess and turn things around, the company faltered further. Apotheker came in, threw up his hands whilst belting out a "fuck this shit" and ran for the door after a brief stint.

Another interesting possibility since Dell is trying to go private to protect Michael Dell's job, maybe MS could buy Dell and make Michael Dell the new CEO ... that could also take both companies in some interesting directions :cool:

Just watch....
"Ballmer retires"
will be followed by
"Tim cook Fired"
then we'll hear
"MS hires Cook"
and all the Linux people will say
"YESS!!!! We will rule the desktop!"
the argument over Ubuntu and Linux Mint will rage,
still nothing will happen, MS will put out crap and people will continue to buy it.

Could it be because women believe themselves to be more empathetic than men and thus pursue those types of careers?

Actually just fyi, testosterone reduces empathy.

And a very interesting mechanism happens when us males see a female crying, our body reduces our testosterone levels to try and be more empathic towards her.

Ok after that break we can get right on topic, and get the popcorn ready to see who will be the next CEO. :p

The Modern UI would have been the least of our concerns.

If you were attempting to be even remotely truthful there is no way in hell you would have said this. The worst cost in any halfway competent enterprise setup is the end user. The simple fact that having to retrain thousands of end users to use a new, unneeded, UI and the loss of production that would entail would dwarf any other consideration.

Keep jerking off about a touchscreen UI all you want but quit trying to lie about it to other people.

I hope they promote the chick responsible for metro. I am not done enjoying watching the Titanic sink just yet.

Larson-Green got kicked out of the OS division during the re-org and she apparently was Sinoskfy's protege. I would be very surprised if she got promoted any time soon.

If you were attempting to be even remotely truthful there is no way in hell you would have said this. The worst cost in any halfway competent enterprise setup is the end user. The simple fact that having to retrain thousands of end users to use a new, unneeded, UI and the loss of production that would entail would dwarf any other consideration.

If I'm being untruthful then you think everyone besides yourself is a moron. Do you think that people that sit in front of computers all day to earn a living are so stupid that they can't figure out what operations to perform to use the thing and that it requires endless amounts of training when anything changes? And they say bankers are stupid. We're changing just about everything we have right now from our data warehouse to our GL. God help the people that think that Windows 8 is a disruptive change.

Keep jerking off about a touchscreen UI all you want but quit trying to lie about it to other people.

I've lied about nothing in regards to Windows 8 and welcome you to prove otherwise. As far the operation of Windows 8 information I've provided in this forum has actually been welcomed at least by some since people like you never actually talk about the OS beyond very simple and generic terms.

Fun fact. In Windows 8.1, IE 11 has a mode to keep it's tabs open. In Charms->Settings->Options in IE turn on "Always show address bar and tabs" and you have a persistent tabs and address bar at the bottom. Main issue is that that tabs can't be moved, hopefully that's addressed in the RTM.

Larson-Green got kicked out of the OS division during the re-org and she apparently was Sinoskfy's protege. I would be very surprised if she got promoted any time soon.

Only to lead the Xbox division. And as much as people call The Ribbon Lady, that UI now in it's sixth year succeeded.

Only to lead the Xbox division.

That's a pretty huge demotion. The Windows division is responsible for the majority of Microsoft's profit. Hardware... not so much.

I never really had an issue with the ribbon UI, but her team really dropped the ball with Windows 8.

ceos_gone_wild_by_rware-d3af4f1.jpg

I would dare you to say no to Bill Gates particularly if he made you on of the richest people on Earth. Gates signed off on Windows 8.

Ever met the man?

Had a meaningful discussion with him?

Didn’t think so.

In the 8+ years I was at Microsoft I did 15 consecutive QBRs with Bill, said “no” to him on multiple occasions and got into heated discussion (including one stand-up shouting match) in at least three separate sessions.

I was by no means alone, and it was never a particularly big deal.

QBRs generally had you in the room while the prior group was presenting, so you got to see lots of interesting interactions.

Bill was completely reasonable, but he was not someone you could bullshit. He was, and is, like a perfect inference engine; you’d say “A” and he’d have correctly deduced “X”, “Y” and “Z” before “B” was out of your mouth (and he can go from macro to micro perspectives in an instant).

If you knew your stuff it would be an intelligent, insightful and incredibly productive discussion. Your “no” would stand, or you’d be convinced otherwise through logical debate. Talk nonsense though and you’d find yourself wearing your ass as a hat in fairly short order. I’ve been on both sides of that equation, happily very much more the former than the latter.

And you always knew when the hard questions were about to start because he’d clasp his hands under his chin and start his “rocking”. Just one a number of odd, but consistent, traits he had (ask someone from Microsoft Studios about wiring him for a microphone prior to a keynote or presentation).

Now, by no means am I one of the richest people on the Earth (or even WA state), but it’s been a good few years since I’ve worked out of necessity. Saying “no” was expected; toadying “yes men” are not Bill’s thing. He’s very down to earth for the most part.

I remember a purely-by-chance encounter with Bill in an informal setting. Wound up parking my 996 C4S Cab next to his entirely standard 996 Cab (metallic blue over Sahara tan, something he drove himself to work in on a frequent basis), and subsequently chatting with him about the merits of the cars and about cars in general. He was ego-less. Never mentioned his 959 … nor made any reference to who he was.

You clearly have no idea about any of the inner workings or people at Microsoft.

Ironically it might make most sense at this point to break Microsoft into 4 or 5 different companies ... I am not sure they can find a CEO capable of restoring them to their previous glory ... if they could steal one of the upper execs from Facebook, Google, Apple, SAP, Oracle, Intel, Sony, or one of the other top tech companies they might be able to recover, but it is hardly a guarantee

Although it is out of their price range I would like to see MS and NVidia merge and Jen-Hsun Huang become CEO ... I think that would be an extremely interesting combination ... we'll just have to see what they ultimately come up with

What sense does it make to break MS into a bunch of companies? You know pretty much ALL of MS success is because of them being one company that can use each of their products and their large cash reserves to make a new product better or more attractive. You break them up into pieces and what do you get? How do they use office to sell windows, or use windows to sell phones? In fact one of the biggest problems MS has is that they have no control over their OEMs.

The only division I could see getting canned would be XBOX since they started making windows less useful in hopes of driving people to buy xbox .

What sense does it make to break MS into a bunch of companies? You know pretty much ALL of MS success is because of them being one company that can use each of their products and their large cash reserves to make a new product better or more attractive. You break them up into pieces and what do you get? How do they use office to sell windows, or use windows to sell phones? In fact one of the biggest problems MS has is that they have no control over their OEMs.

The only division I could see getting canned would be XBOX since they started making windows less useful in hopes of driving people to buy xbox .

It isn't that unreasonable, depending on how you split it up ... in the modern environment it is much harder to leverage economies of scale between divisions and it might be harder to find one CEO who could manage all the pieces as a whole (even in Bill Gates time they were a lot more focused) ... at a minimum they could split the consumer and enterprise divisions (the very successful IBM restructuring in the 90's led them to basically abandon consumer markets in favor of 100% enterprise with a heavy service orientation) ... that model could work well for MS also

As I proposed in my two suggestions for CEO I would like them to think even more out of the box ... if they truly want to compete with Apple and Google they need to expand their hardware side more ... if they could find the cash to buy either NVidia or Dell, both of those companies have very successful CEOs who could take over the leadership of MS and take MS in all kinds of new directions ... a merger with Dell (although much higher risk because it could hurt their relationships with OEMs) would actually turn MS into an Apple lite (they would still be hurting on the mobile side but their hardware on the enterprise side would be in a very good place competitively, very comparable to Apple on the consumer side)

Ever met the man?

Had a meaningful discussion with him?

Didn’t think so.

In the 8+ years I was at Microsoft I did 15 consecutive QBRs with Bill, said “no” to him on multiple occasions and got into heated discussion (including one stand-up shouting match) in at least three separate sessions.

I was by no means alone, and it was never a particularly big deal.

QBRs generally had you in the room while the prior group was presenting, so you got to see lots of interesting interactions.

Bill was completely reasonable, but he was not someone you could bullshit. He was, and is, like a perfect inference engine; you’d say “A” and he’d have correctly deduced “X”, “Y” and “Z” before “B” was out of your mouth (and he can go from macro to micro perspectives in an instant).

If you knew your stuff it would be an intelligent, insightful and incredibly productive discussion. Your “no” would stand, or you’d be convinced otherwise through logical debate. Talk nonsense though and you’d find yourself wearing your ass as a hat in fairly short order. I’ve been on both sides of that equation, happily very much more the former than the latter.

And you always knew when the hard questions were about to start because he’d clasp his hands under his chin and start his “rocking”. Just one a number of odd, but consistent, traits he had (ask someone from Microsoft Studios about wiring him for a microphone prior to a keynote or presentation).

Now, by no means am I one of the richest people on the Earth (or even WA state), but it’s been a good few years since I’ve worked out of necessity. Saying “no” was expected; toadying “yes men” are not Bill’s thing. He’s very down to earth for the most part.

I remember a purely-by-chance encounter with Bill in an informal setting. Wound up parking my 996 C4S Cab next to his entirely standard 996 Cab (metallic blue over Sahara tan, something he drove himself to work in on a frequent basis), and subsequently chatting with him about the merits of the cars and about cars in general. He was ego-less. Never mentioned his 959 … nor made any reference to who he was.

You clearly have no idea about any of the inner workings or people at Microsoft.

Thanks for the insight...I wonder if they could have said the same about Steve Jobs?

Again, thanks for the insight. As much as others around here claim that I do work for Microsoft understand that to me this a refreshing statement. I don't and never have and pointed out what I was saying about the genesis of Windows 8 was based on rumor. More specifically online rumor. As you so eloquently stated, I have no direct knowledge of the inner workings at Microsoft.

I was speaking about a every specific thing at a very high level, not a simple generic "no" as in no onions on the burger. No to the Courier and yes to Windows 8. You obviously know far more about Microsoft than I do but actually never specially rebutted what I was talking about.

I'd celebrate,but they'll probably put someone in his place just as determined to monopolize the gaming market with their godawful consoles and continue to put the screws to PC gamers.

Kick backs in Russia. Isn't that pretty much the norm there?

This is the stupidity of US law, we can prosecute a company for corruption in a foreign nation, so then some companies don't do it, and of course see no progress in certain countries, see home depots failure in China, meanwhile European or Asian companies do do it and clean up. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. A lot of people don't know a huge part of Toyotas international success was due to working out deals which put them at huge advantages over US automakers in various devleping nations where they were able to secure way lower tariffs by corrupting government officials. See US automakers impossible attempts to get into markets like Thailand. Meanwhile US government does nothing to help them. See how China protects auto parts makers, looses a WTC case and the US does nothing about it.

I was speaking about a every specific thing at a very high level, not a simple generic "no" as in no onions on the burger. No to the Courier and yes to Windows 8. You obviously know far more about Microsoft than I do but actually never specially rebutted what I was talking about.

The kinds of "saying no" I'm talking about related to major product direction and strategy (SQL, Visual Studio, large portions of what was then MBS, Office and Pink) and a couple of major acquisitions.

On one particular deal, which I was involved in the technical due-diligence and assessment for, I delivered a strong recommendation not to proceed (I believe I called it a "reckless endeavor" for "broken technology" that "would never fly under the terms we'd get held to"). My perspective and conclusions were challenged and things got quite heated. I escalated the exchange, stating that if the deal went forward I would have nothing to do with it. That became "we need you to drive this", I said I wouldn't, and there was nothing he could do to change that.

I was asked to leave the meeting. The deal went ahead. I got a promotion and an offer to transfer to another team. Ultimately the project that came out of that deal cratered, badly.

The point here is that it was okay to take a stand, even on big issues. What you didn't want to do was flip your position mid-argument just to defuse a tense situation. That never went well; I know of one architect that got demoted and lost his title for pulling that.

Some people would take the "I disagree, but I'll do it because you need it done" approach. That was okay too, as long as you gave it your all. For me, the things I worked on were intense enough that I wasn't willing to invest that much time and energy into if I wasn't fully on board.

Some people would take the "I disagree, but I'll do it because you need it done" approach. That was okay too, as long as you gave it your all. For me, the things I worked on were intense enough that I wasn't willing to invest that much time and energy into if I wasn't fully on board.

Thanks again. It's nice to see a perspective of how this all works that's not totally cynical and based on some experience.

winMe
winMe 2 ( vista )
winMe 3( 8 )

at least two of those are on his watch. Not sure about the 1st. Win 7 should still be the latest version.

Back