Steve Ballmer Officially The New Owner Of The Clippers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Say what you want about Steve Ballmer but, that guy owns a basketball team now, you don't. ;)

The transaction in which Steve Ballmer purchased the Los Angeles Clippers closed today following the entry of an order by a California court confirming the authority of Shelly Sterling, on behalf of the Sterling Family Trust, to sell the team.

Good for him.
I'd rather own a soccer team before the Clippers but that's just me.

He's trying to break Bobby Knights world record for "Most chairs thrown during a basketball game"

Watch Steve will hop around on court opening game, sweat all over place under his arm, He holler to fans "Windows 8 is great !!!", all Fans said Boo Boo !!!, The fans throw some beers, hot dogs, chips, tomato and shoes at his face ! just like Bush dodge one.

I can see him pacing back and forth screaming while pouring with sweat, "DEVENDERS, DEFENDERS, DEFENDERS, DEFENDERS!"

At least he'd be just as likely to throw a chair at a white person as a black person.
That might be interpreted wrong. For the record, I was extending the reference away from Bobby Knight. AFAIK, Bobby Knight was an equal opportunity tantrum-thrower. :)

Good for him. Follow your passion. If basketball is where it's at, I hope he has a great time being the owner. He has the cash to do so, so who am I to judge. If I had the money, I know I'd do something I loved or become owner in something that I loved... :)

He paid too much. He should have tried to get the NBA to add more teams. Didn't he want a team in Seattle?

He paid too much. He should have tried to get the NBA to add more teams. Didn't he want a team in Seattle?

Huh? NBA teams are a seller's market, it is extremely rare that the opportunity to buy one outright comes up, its definitely a "rich old white guy" club.

Huh? NBA teams are a seller's market, it is extremely rare that the opportunity to buy one outright comes up, its definitely a "rich old white guy" club.

Especially one in LA or NYC. I wonder if the Buss family is thinking "we can probably get at least $3M for the Lakers."

There were other bids for the Clippers, all well over a billion. This was going to be the most expensive NBA team purchase in history even without Ballmer.

It seems Steve Ballmer is VERY good at losing money.

Why is this losing worthless team worth 2 billion?

As was said before, it is exceedingly rare for a straight up controlling interest of an NBA team to come to market. It wasn't worth $2 billion by most estimates....but he's a smart enough businessman that he likely knows recouping the money probably isn't realistic. It could be he really wanted to own an NBA team, no matter the cost. Plus, it's his cash...he can do whatever the hell he wants with it.

As was said before, it is exceedingly rare for a straight up controlling interest of an NBA team to come to market. It wasn't worth $2 billion by most estimates....but he's a smart enough businessman that he likely knows recouping the money probably isn't realistic. It could be he really wanted to own an NBA team, no matter the cost. Plus, it's his cash...he can do whatever the hell he wants with it.

Several sources, including Sterling were saying the team was worth more than $2 billion because several TV contracts were up for renewal over the next 2-4 years. He'll make his money back if not more if he sticks it out.

Why is this losing worthless team worth 2 billion?

the old owner was the biggest problem

the clippers actually did really really well last season and theyve done really really well in previous seasons. but in the past, after a good season the owner would split up, trade off, and sell really good players because he was crazy.

the clippers are going to be la's team going forward. the lakers are over and with the bus kids running that show, thats never going to change. they had their shot at getting phil jackson back, la wanted him back, he wanted back, but the bus kid doesnt like phil so that was that. phil moved on to run the nicks and that was their shot.

i expect kobe will either retire first chance, or move. but theres no way anyone worth anything is going to sign with the lakers at this point.

Say what you want about Steve Ballmer but, that guy owns a basketball team now, you don't. ;)

Phew. That's good to know. I'd hate to be the owner of a basketball team. It'd only be worse if it were baseball or American football (or any UK/European football team for that matter, as that sport is almost as tedious). Actually, pretty much all sports teams would bore me.

But anyway, if it brings Ballmer joy, all power to him. Rather him than me.

Owning a well-recognized basketball team is a good way to secure your money honestly. So Ballmer wouldn't have a problem selling it in the future and getting his original money back unless he was really desperate.

Hooray, an ex-CEO with no imagination doesn't know what to do with himself or his money.

Back