Step-Up runs out Jan 15; what to do?

Eulogy

2[H]4U
Ok, I haven't been on [H] much lately, so I'm probably going to ask a stupid question.
I have 29 days left on my eVGA step up program. That leaves me until ~Jan 15th to start the process.
I currently have a 8800GTS 320MB. Eyeballing the new GTS w/ 512MB. It'd cost me $70 to do this.
Is now an OK time to do this, or is something much better than that speculated to come out before then that I should wait on?
Reason I ask is with the holidays here and such, I'm not using my PC as much so I can deal with the down time of not having a video card easier. Once mid jan. rolls around, I'll be back to my normal gaming-a-thons and such, and not having a video card would be noticed a lot more ;).
So, I turn to the [H] for suggestions.

Edit: Running a 24" Acer @ 1680x1050. Would like to run that in games, but hey, wouldn't we all? :D

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is nothing coming out in the near future that will be besting the ultra, and they probably aren't going to refresh the current gtx. News on new cards points towards mid to late february at the earliest.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is nothing coming out in the near future that will be besting the ultra, and they probably aren't going to refresh the current gtx. News on new cards points towards mid to late february at the earliest.
That's fine. I just don't want to make an "Oh shit that was dumb" mistake.

I would lean toward the 512MB 8800GTS. For only 70 bucks, you can't go wrong. Impossible to predict if something new is coming out soon unfortunately.

I'm doing the same thing with the same exact card (8800GTS 320), I decided to go for the 8800GTS 512, even though I game at 1280x1024, I'd rather pay $70 to be a little more up to date than pay nothing and have old hardware

Thanks guys. I'm going to kick off my Step Up later on today then. Schweet :cool:

Aw man. Looks like it might be awhile:
"Next Step: Waiting In Queue: #376"

Well, February is hardly far-off, being only 2 months from now and a month from the OP's step-up deadline.

To the OP, if all you're looking for is moderate increase in performance for relatively little expense, go for the step-up, otherwise wait. I don't think that the new GTS will make a world of difference, and I would simply wait for the future releases providing there are no severe financial constraints on your part. You can always sell your current card in the FS forum for some extra cash if need be.

i say use the step up for the new GTS or the GT now.. then if you change your mind within 29 days you can always cancel it. i'm in que #169 to replace my 640 GTS for the new GTS.

i say use the step up for the new GTS or the GT now.. then if you change your mind within 29 days you can always cancel it. i'm in que #169 to replace my 640 GTS for the new GTS.
I think I'm going to roll with it, and then just buy later next year whatever's newer. I don't mind that.

isnt there supposed to be a dual g92 card coming in january liek the Gx2 Series? :confused:

CES is January 7 - 10, 2008 in Las Vegas, NV. Possible they will announce something then.

wow.. yesterday i was que # 169 and today i'm # 69.. what's the next step after on step up.. i have no clue..

wow.. yesterday i was que # 169 and today i'm # 69.. what's the next step after on step up.. i have no clue..
evga.jpg

Been this way since 12/19

After you're in queue for the step up, it usually takes a day in between.. from the time they process it.. to the time they verify your invoice and so forth so forth it will take appx 1-3 days then it will take that long to send your card and unless you paid 3 day select you will get it ground.. it's a long process but its well thought out and there was hardly any confusion on my end.. kudos to evga.

When you get a step-up you have to re-register your NEW product so it has a new RMA status and a new step-up status.
Wrong. You cannot step-up from an already step up product.
Once I get the 512 GTS, I will not be able to use that to step up to something later. Only if I go out and buy a new card from them and follow the same procedure.

Wrong. You cannot step-up from an already step up product.
Once I get the 512 GTS, I will not be able to use that to step up to something later. Only if I go out and buy a new card from them and follow the same procedure.

Sorry you are correct, it can still be RMA'ed but yes, only one step up is allowed per purchased card. My apologies for the misinformation.

I inititate this same Step up from the GTS 320. The bottom is going to drop out on those and be hard to sell if you want to upgrade to a new Ultra next year. It will be easier to resell the GTS 512 assuming they dont release an intermediate card.

I'm at # 62

I inititate this same Step up from the GTS 320. The bottom is going to drop out on those and be hard to sell if you want to upgrade to a new Ultra next year. It will be easier to resell the GTS 512 assuming they dont release an intermediate card.

I'm at # 62
I think the bottom already fell out of the GTS's. I think that happened once the GT was released. I figure, with this eVGA I'm getting excatly, 100%, what I paid for the GTS 320. Best I could hope for, I bet, selling it anywhere would yeild what, 30% at best?
Then, sometime next year, or whenever I can't game how I want, I'll buy the next card and step up again.

Down to #14... I have a PCI-E card from a Dell pull that will have to do in the meantime.. better game while I can

Back