Stellaris..new Paradox scifi grand strategy game

Well... I hope it's less shitty than CK 2. Those guys couldn't even make a game with a working tutorial.

Well... I hope it's less shitty than CK 2. Those guys couldn't even make a game with a working tutorial.

CK2 is great, once you learn the mechanics. Their tutorials suck but I can't imagine how long a tutorial for those games would be. Besides, even if there was a good tutorial for vanilla CK2 it wouldn't matter anyway since patches and DLC had changed the game so radically since release that it would be worthless.

I am not opposed to Paradox improving the tutorials. The more they are improved, the better. But the tutorials they have are more than enough to successfully play their games on normal difficulty. You may have to restart multiple times and/or save-scum, but they are not at all as difficult to play as they may first appear when you first try. They ARE however very hard to MASTER, but better tutorials will barely help one master the games.

So far I have played V2, EU3, CK2, EU4. All have been fantastic. However, that does not excuse some of their DLC practices, forever ongoing multiplayer issues, and STILL using a single-threaded 32-bit engine for their games in 2015.

I didn't have any problem with the CK2 tutorials. Maybe it's because I had already tried and failed to learn EU3 through that game's tutorials.

Tutorials are really a non-issue. They aren't going to explain in depth the complexity of the game mechanics. Really looking forward to this game.

latest gameplay/commentary alpha build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRp7T5irXTQ

been a long time since i've been excited about a strategy game

'want each new game to feel new..everything in the game is fairly random or semi-random'

'you should not know whats in the galaxy'...thank you jesus!! someone FINALLY GETS IT !!!!

Worth keeping an eye on for sure. I think the last space grand strategy game I played was Sword of the Stars. Has there been anything good since then? (Gal Civ isn't my cup of tea).

Worth keeping an eye on for sure. I think the last space grand strategy game I played was Sword of the Stars. Has there been anything good since then? (Gal Civ isn't my cup of tea).

distant worlds is the only space game I know of that gets alot of atttention since being put on steam..seems you either love it or hate it..I don't have it..saving my money for this game

After seeing DLC fest that EU4 has become I'd expect the same from this title.

If the big pieces of DLC for Stellaris change the game as much as the big DLC releases for EU4 do, on top of the continued incredible patch support I'm totally fine with that. Despite the mountain of DLC both EU4 and CK2 have you only need the big releases to keep up with the features and that is only if you really want them the moment they're released. Paradox has been great about putting their games and DLC on sale all the time. EU4 is two and a half years old and CK2 is four years old, yet Paradox is still supporting them both. I just hope the AI in Stellaris is less annoyingly stupid then it is in CK2 and especially EU4.

After seeing DLC fest that EU4 has become I'd expect the same from this title.
I seem to remember hearing they were going to try to avoid doing that amount of DLC for the game. Don't remember where I heard that, might have been an eXplorminate podcast.

May 9th release date....just announced via press conference 20 minutes ago

been a long time since I've been hyped for a strategy game

The trailer is not very revealing or interesting. No controlled tactical combat? Pass.

The combat is disappointing. I always want decent turn based tactical combat in my 4x games. However everything else about this game looks good. I'll wait till I see some reviews but this looks like it will be an exception for me and I'll pick it up.

The combat is disappointing. I always want decent turn based tactical combat in my 4x games. However everything else about this game looks good. I'll wait till I see some reviews but this looks like it will be an exception for me and I'll pick it up.

I didn't expect it to have tactical combat control. None of Paradox Development Studio's other titles have allowed for it so I figured this would be the same.

Only a few more days for this. It's shaping up to be pretty awesome. I've been playing Endless Space again lately, and it is just so disappointingly flawed.

Game is out today. It's looking great. I've been watching LPs of it and bought it last night. Can't wait to play.

Guess I'll grab the big package in a few weeks. Then again my backlog is growing due to too much Black Desert Online. Might wait a bit. ;)

Well.. it is europe unversalis in space, basically.
The performance is suffering even on the medium size galaxy with 600 stars.

btw, is there any reason to create a Paradox account? I have no intention to play a multi-player.

It's the same engine, but the game plays vastly different. It's much more of a 4X game than a grand strategy game. I haven't run into performance issues yet, but my medium galaxy is only partly explored so far. I wouldn't be surprised if it started to bog down as I reveal more empires and the ones that are there get bigger.

I don't think you even need a Paradox account to play multiplayer. I'm not even sure what the purpose of it is.

Got it yesterday and am enjoying it. Played maybe 5 hours. Very intuitive. Lots of little 'event' type stuff to research. Haven't felt compelled to create a massive defense/offense fleet. Barely touched the tutorial. In fact, the tutorial window (hint window?) is a hindrance because when it's open it prevents the ship hot list from showing. I was annoyed for 3 hours because I couldn't choose individual ships without zooming to them :(

I am very much a TBS guy and don't normally go for RTS games these days, but the little I played last night I really enjoyed. Appears to be doing well in most reviews as well.

I think the paradox account just gives you little free goodies here and there. If I remember right in Cities Skylines it gave you a plaza to build. When I created an account last night I go some portraits for CK2. not sure if it does anything else for you.

Picked it up last night and played a little bit and its an interesting game, tons of depth. Excellent graphics. Does anybody know how to analyze a hyperspeed trail?

Last edited:
Great game, first 4X I've been able to get into. Working on a full peaceful playthrough right now, things are going well.

Is this better then the Masters of Orion Remake?

Master of Orion on Steam

I played the MOO remake a month or so ago for a bit, and have only played Stellaris for a couple of days. Unless MOO made a lot of updates, yes, Stellaris is better (IMO). I grew up on MOO and MOO2 (still some of the best ever), and played a shit ton of of other 4x space games. Stellaris is better than I expected it to be. It plays in real time (though you can pause it whenever you want to issue commands). There's a decent amount of ship customization and the interface is pretty slick. There are 3 different methods of space travel (though you are limited to only one of them), which makes for interesting game play. You can create your empire to suite your playstyle (peaceful and tolerant, slave-mongers, etc). There are leaders and leader traits.

Some people might complain about the combat. You just send your ships to engage the enemy, and then you have no control over it. Definitely work a pick-up if you like the genre.

Found it. :p

YMYWGQp.png

i do not get fleet strength, my fleet had 11k vs 3k. my ships are balanced whit a lot of pd guns as the enemy was a big missile user I lost over 1/2 my fleet. also fighters are kick ass pd but i have yet to see them tack a ship?

I know combat is autonomous but you don't get the option of watching?

You can zoom in on the battles and watch as they happen. It's just ships flying around and firing weapons though. It's better to watch the information on the left of the screen as the battle plays out.

i do not get fleet strength, my fleet had 11k vs 3k. my ships are balanced whit a lot of pd guns as the enemy was a big missile user I lost over 1/2 my fleet. also fighters are kick ass pd but i have yet to see them tack a ship?

Because you're doing it wrong for the current game balance.
All you need is a swarm of cheap corvettes. Make about 20-30 of each kind - lazers, kinetic, torpedoes, pd. When you can toss in a few battleships with shield/hull regen, flak, fighters/bombers. That's all you need. No destroyers, no cruisers.

Back