Steer me in the right direction :)

bordes

Gawd
Hello,

I am currently working on a website and unfortunately my skills are limited to css/html. On this website, I want users to be able to register, log in, and post and create content on the website (anonymously). There would also be a search function on the website to find content and an ability to bring up physical locations based on search criteria. Which type of programming languages would be necessary to create these features such as a user database, ability to post within the website, search function, etc?

Any advice or guidance is much appreciated.

Apache, mysql and php are fairly popular for this.

In fact, you can probably find a full blown solution for what you want that already exists.

this.

there is no way you can create a system like this without doing ALOT of research and learning how to program other languages

Right, I understand that. I wanted to get a background in what languages were required so I can find the right person to hire.

I think hiring somebody to write a custom CMS is a waste of time and money. Choose an existing CMS and get them to make a template. It'll be far cheaper, have more features, and be less buggy.

I think hiring somebody to write a custom CMS is a waste of time and money. Choose an existing CMS and get them to make a template. It'll be far cheaper, have more features, and be less buggy.
This is what I'd do too. I'd most likely go with Joomla or maybe wordpress.

If you're looking to outsource the work, find someone knowledgeable in PHP and the CMS of your choice.

Wordpress, Joomla, and Drupal are the more common ones out there. The only part that will be a challenge would be the location based searching you're looking to do. All the rest can be done easily with either 3 of those CMS's.

Unless there's a REAL reason to, DO NOT have someone build you a CMS. As has already been stated, it will be a waste of time and money for a program with far more potential security holes, and other bugs. Also, future additions to the site may be virtually impossible, depending on how it's built.

what exactily is meant by "bring up physical locations based on search criteria"
do you plan on storing many locations (address + location name) and then searching for all the stores in a certain distance of address X ?

Back