Steelseries Sensei, WoW Legendary, WoW Cataclysm - New/compared to Razer and others?

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello everyone. It has come to my attention that there's a hardware glitch in my primary mouse and I'll have to buy another brand unless I can get in touch with the manufacturer and see about a replacement. A pity, as its by far the best multi-button "MMO" style mouse I've ever used - it even has an X360 thumbstick and completely open source cross-platform software!

With this in mind I've been looking for new high-quality gaming mice, while my old Logitech G5 serves in the meantime. My first idea was to head back to Logitech and consider the G500 and G9x, and while the G500 may be a great "fallback" the G9x seems like its getting a little long in the tooth. On the plus side, Logitech mice work great without special drivers/software, and SetPoint isn't intrusive. I also looked any many of the smaller brands like Roccat but it seems that their feature sets and specs don't seem to justify the price they command.

Next I moved onto appraising Razer, of which I have a middling opinion. I have an Orochi mouse to compliment my laptop and it works well and seems to be the best available in its class. I've not always been happy with Razer drivers and software, which seems cumbersome and often more style than substance. From here I'm considering the Mamba 4G and the Naga Epic, both seem to be of high reputation. I should note that the wireless option is nice, but not a factor in my purchase - I'm more interested in the other features.

Finally, I've come to Steelseries, with whom I'm impressed based solely upon owning their SX anodized aluminum mousepad, but having never used a primary peripheral. SteelSeries has 3 mice in which I am interested

1. World of Warcraft Cataclysm Mouse - http://steelseries.com/products/gam.../world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-mmo-gaming-mouse - The only one of the 3 that is currently available as of 8/12/11, this is really quite interesting. While the earlier WoW mouse from SteelSeries didn't seem particularly helpful, this one is more of a competitor for the Naga. It apparently uses a specialized WoW-specific binding software (ie. You bind "open map" to it instead of telling it to put 'm' key on Button 7, from what I've read). If anyone has used it, please let me know what you think about this software? Is it truly stand alone, or does it interface with WoW itself? Also, how well does it work on OTHER games - can you bring down multiple bindings on other profiles for say, a FPS or another MMO like Rift? If not, does it at least serve as a "basic" mouse without any issue when not in WoW? Apparently, a FAQ states that SteelSeries WoW mice are the only ones that have a special configuration option in game as well, so this may be an advantage.

2. World of Warcraft Legendary Edition Mouse - http://steelseries.com/products/gam...world-of-warcraft-mmo-mouse-legendary-edition - Coming soon, this seems to be the little brother to the aforementioned Cataclysm edition. I see some big changes, such as the removal of the laser for an optical sensor instead, slightly fewer buttons, a smaller chassis and the admittedly nice Thunderfury motif. Aside from the aesthetic change and smaller chassis, I'm unsure if there's anything in here considered an upgrade. Seems a little unfortunate they took away a few extra buttons and downgraded the 5800dpi laser sensor to a 3200dpi optical, but I suppose some felt the original Cata variant was too big and that those who predominantly played MMOs wouldn't need a laser?

3. Steelseries Sensei - http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei - Touted as the "grand master", and successor to the Xai and Ikari this seems on paper to be THE best "standard amount of buttons, non MMO" mouse I've ever seen. It has an 32-bit proc that's as powerful as an early Pentium PC which allows it to obtain a rough 12,000dpi if you wish, and a little LCD on the back enabling you to configure the whole thing without any drivers. I assume that it, along with the WoW mice has ample storage space fo macros and profiles. If you wish to use the SteelSeries drivers, it apparently works on their next-gen "SteelSeries Engine" software along with a few of its direct subordinates like the Diablo3 mouse. The top of the chassis looks to be made out of metal, according to a few previews, which is a nice touch. It apparently includes some new technology, like automatically detecting the speed you're moving it and altering the dpi, so if it detects you're moving very small amounts like when you're sniping in a FPS it will ensure you have more control, and then altering it again when it detects you moving to get you out of there fast, without having to tap a key when you go into sniper mode if you don't wish. Apparently, it will be available in September.

Whew, that's a lot. From my research, it appears that the Sensei is probably a MUCH better choice than the Razer Mamba - its new features just seem amazing for a general use gaming mouse if it is as good in practice as on paper. Now the Naga Epic compared to the SS Cataclysm and Legendary seems a bit closer. I'm guessing that for WoW itself, the SteelSeries may be better but it remains to be seen how it will function in other games. My issues with Razer drivers (Still haven't forgiven them for the N52te) and hearing that its sometimes difficult to bind the Naga Epic buttons unless you use their particular WoW addon doesn't instill much confidence, and really pushes me to giving SteelSeries World of Warcraft line a try- Between the Cataclysm and Legendary SS offerings, I'm leaning toward the former as it seems to have more features and power, but if anyone has data on the improvements, if any, of the Legendary in real world use let me know.

Thus, it seems the SteelSeries Sensei is a clear winner, so I think its most certainly worth an upgrade for a "normal" mouse. The only other question for me is which SteelSeries WoW mouse is worthwhile? So, I've tried to list my reasoning and thought process for selecting a new high-end mouse (or perhaps, mice?) and have narrowed the playing field accordingly in the hopes I've come down to the "best" in my experience and prediction. Does anyone have anything to add, anything I've forgotten or suggestions to make? A

I've owned the Xai since it has been available. No issues at all with it. Best mouse I've yet to own. I'm a big fan of the shape.

Solid feel, having the choice of choosing how much the software changes the mouse input is a big plus (exactaim = smoothing, freemove= line snapping).

I guess we don't know yet if the sensei will deliver. But even if they just slapped xai software on there it should be great.

Check out the Logitech G700. Been using it with WoW for about a week with zero complaints.

After trying out many other mice from other manufacturers, I just prefer the tracking on the Logitechs. Hard to put into words why.

The G700 is a hybrid corded/wireless, and has 4 thumb buttons and 4 extra buttons up top you can bind to whatever you want. Works pretty great for me so far.

I highly recommend the Xai if you do clawgrip. I also have a Deathadder and I much prefer the lighter weight and lower profile of the Xai. The Sensei that is replacing the Xai should be even better with the additional configuration options.

I highly recommend the Xai if you do clawgrip. I also have a Deathadder and I much prefer the lighter weight and lower profile of the Xai. The Sensei that is replacing the Xai should be even better with the additional configuration options.

I thought the Xai (and Deathadder for that matter) were considered to be palm grip mice?

Palmgrip- Whole Palm lays flat on the mouse, fingers lay flat on the button.
ClawGrip- Your fingers looks like a claw,Palm does not fully rest on the mouse.
Half claw/Halfpalm- Grips buttons like a Claw, but palm rests fully on the back of the mouse.
Fingertip- only the fingertips grip the mouse.

I prefer something between the fingertip and the clawgrip although I have more of a fingertip grip. I was wondering if anyone knew how the Sensei handles?

Last edited:
I just recently bought a Steelseries Xai without realizing that a "sequel" was around the corner.

Granted, I didn't pay $90 or anything, so it's not all that bad. I'm not sure I would have shelled out that much for a mouse anyways.

Still, if it's anything like it's older brother, then I don't suppose it's a bad investment.

After trying out many other mice from other manufacturers, I just prefer the tracking on the Logitechs. Hard to put into words why.

It probably means you like acceleration, since the ADNS-9500 sensor in your G700 has it and you can't get rid of it since it's inherent to the sensor.

I thought the Xai (and Deathadder for that matter) were considered to be palm grip mice?

I prefer palm grip with my large hands. However - its weight and shape lends itself wonderfully to claw gripping (which I found out playing Hammerfight :D )

Steelseries mice are overpriced and their support sucks. Unlike Razer or Logitech any problem that a SS mouse has on release is there to stay since they never update the firmware on their mice.

I purchased the Xai around the time it came out. My right click is already starting to fail ;\.

I thought the Xai was pretty good at first but since it's failing I picked up the Logitech g400 to go back to a decent optical.

It's amazing how bad the feet are on the Xai for me. They don't allow the control/precision i'm getting with the feet on this g400.

I have really small hands so the Xai and the g400 are both a bit too long. The g400 is somehow more manageable.

The A9500 in the Xai and many other mice, while good, don't quite do it for me. I can manage to get some of these old opticals right on target easier... dunno.

If they had a Kinzu with a back/forward on the left side of the mouse, better feet, and a decent optical sensor with adjustable DPI. I'd probably be set forever. I don't think there's anything out there like that though.

Guess I have to keep waiting. Too many big mice

SteelSeries says to regularly change the teflon glides. Do you know if there's a screw under the teflon? Maybe you could open it up, and fix the right clicker?

I'd check into it but I think the g400 tracks so much better for me than the xai.

If there were feet for the xai that were made of the same material as the g400 then it might be worth it.

I have to ask, I'm looking at the Sensei, but for those who had/have the Xai, is it truly worth the 90 bucks? Especially since it has all the firmware built into the mouse, making a real plug and play gaming mouse?

Steelseries mice are overpriced and their support sucks. Unlike Razer or Logitech any problem that a SS mouse has on release is there to stay since they never update the firmware on their mice.

That same argument can easily be said for both Razer and Logitech...in fact, I just had both my Lachesis and Lycosa case massive BSoD driver issues on my desktop...plus they haven't updated their drivers for either in a looong time.

Truth is...almost no company gives a hoot about their old products. Let alone these ones.

For what its worth, The Cataclysm Mouse has been holding up very, very nicely. I'll give more detailed impressions soon, but it does seem to feel better than the Naga I've used in the past (demo'ed a "standard" Naga, not an Epic) and the software works rather well..even has firmware updater built in.

My experience with Steel Series products.

I've had the XAI for about 2 years now. I'm moving away from it due to lack of support. Some users, my friend and I included, have problems with the XAI profiles. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. When they don't, it's voodoo trying to get the profile to take again. Nothing is more annoying than going to a LAN Party, booting up my PC, and spending the next 30 minutes trying to get my mouse settings working. The firmware and software available for the XAI are the same as when it was released. So there is jack squat that I can do to fix it. For that reason, I won't consider any SteelSeries mouse that has built in profiles.

I used to have a SteelSeries 3h headset. It was ok at first. Then, the pull out mic broke to where the tip was broken off and kind of dangling. Then the inline volume/mute connection failed.

Overall, I'm unimpressed with their support and quality. I may try their products again in the future, but for now, I'll steer clear.

So, I've got a Logitech G700 on the way. It seemed to have the right number of buttons and wireless is a bonus for me. I don't have it yet as Amazon was out of stock, but should have it in a week.

I hear the G700's battery is disappointing at best which is why I went to the G500.

The Sensei is a bullshit marketing mouse filled with shiny, useless features. Steelseries has admitted as much.

But the Mamba isn't a particularly good mouse either.

Everything important in the Sensei, the Xai has also. And they share the exact same sensor, so the technology (and its flaws) are no different either.

tldr: Sensei is for people with cash to burn, who don't already own a mechanical keyboard. If you want to be prudent, get a Xai/DeathAdder/Abyssus/MX518 or one of the "gold standard" gaming mice. Unless it's for WoW, then the mouse requirements are a bit different (50,000 buttons.)

The top of the chassis looks to be made out of metal, according to a few previews, which is a nice touch.
This makes it heavier than it needs to be. Lighter mice = better.
It apparently includes some new technology, like automatically detecting the speed you're moving it and altering the dpi, so if it detects you're moving very small amounts like when you're sniping in a FPS it will ensure you have more control, and then altering it again when it detects you moving to get you out of there fast, without having to tap a key when you go into sniper mode if you don't wish
That's not a new technology. It's called Acceleration and Negative Acceleration. Both are considered flaws in competitive gaming circles, and the Xai and most other laser mice already have them. Steelseries has just rebranded it as a feature. Every mouse that uses a Avago ADNS-9500 laser sensor has a small bit of accel and negative accel built in, and there's no software/firmware fix.

G500, G700, G9X, Xai and Sensei are all on the same sensor. The only difference is the chassis, buttons and drivers/software that Logitech/Steelseries provide.
http://www.overclock.net/mice/854100-ocn-mouse-sensor-reference-performance-sheet.html

Last edited:
Back