SteelSeries Apex Pro Wired Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Adjustable Actuation Switches [$99.99 Shipped]

Does anyone have this keyboard? How does the adjustable actuation feel compared to brown switch? And the Steelseries software, any good?

Excerpt from Mechanical-Keyboard.org switch types description page,

SteelSeries OmniPoint​

The SteelSeries OmniPoint is a really versatile switch: You can decide yourself, at what point the switch is going to actuate. The actuation distance can be set within the range of 0.4 mm and 3.6 mm for each key individually. This has been made possible by the use of magnetic sensors which measure the pressed distance at all times. The OmniPoint switches are linear switches, so their feeling is comparable to Cherry MX Reds. The first (and so far only) keyboard with OmniPoint switches is the SteelSeries Apex Pro.

If you like the board without regards for the switch the video included in the adorama page indicated a TKL was available in Red or Blue or Brown switches (did not indicate manufacturer).

Does anyone have this keyboard? How does the adjustable actuation feel compared to brown switch? And the Steelseries software, any good?
I had the tenkeyless version. In less than 2 years, it failed 3 times and needed warranty service. After the 3rd failure, I didn't bother sending it back to Steelseries for service. I just tossed it and bought the Corsair K70 tenkeyless. It has similar switches to the AP's OmniPoint. So far, I'm really liking the K70. My last Corsair keyboard was the K65 Rapidfire. It lasted almost 4 years before I went with the AP. I gave my K65 to my sister who still uses it to this day.

Last edited:
I had the tenkeyless version. In less than 2 years, it failed 3 times and needed warranty service. After the 3rd failure, I didn't bother sending it back to Steelseries for service. I just tossed it and bought the Corsair K70 tenkeyless. It has similar switches to the AP's OmniPoint. So far, I'm really liking the K70. My last Corsair keyboard was the K65 Rapidfire. It lasted almost 4 years before I went with the AP. I gave my K65 to my sister who still uses it to this day.
Thank you for this, very helpful! My EVGA z20 had a key failure and I sent it in for RMA. The replacement is coming back tomorrow and I am currently using a Corsair brown switch K95 XT and I love it. I am going to sell the EVGA and plan to either get another Corsair K95 as backup or something different. Your experience simply makes me go and just get another K95 XT.

I'm assuming the adjustable switches aren't all that reliable? The concept seems great. For gaming I like light presses, for typing I prefer tactile. But if the board starts having issues then it isn't really worth getting.

I'm assuming the adjustable switches aren't all that reliable? The concept seems great. For gaming I like light presses, for typing I prefer tactile. But if the board starts having issues then it isn't really worth getting.
It's definitely possible. Each failure was the same. Suddenly, the keys just no longer worked. No typing and no illumination. Oddly enough, the USB-passthrough port still worked. I liked the adjustable actuation, but maybe there's a flaw in the design. Or, I just got on an unlucky streak with the Apex Pro.

The OPX opti-mechanical switches on the Corsair K70 are not user adjustable, so we'll see if any unpleasantness develops.

I had the Apex Pro from late 2019 until 2021, and gave it to my brother. It's still doing very well with no issues. I only switched to the Razer Huntsman V2 because my gf at the time gifted me it. I've honestly thought about going back. Honestly the wrist wrest on the Apex Pro has the most amazing feeling texture on it...

My full size version is 9 months old and is the nicest keyboard I've used.

I also have a Corsair K100 with Cherry Browns, this is a lot louder, larger and not as fast to type on. I have no complaints for gaming though.
Once the Apex Pro switch trigger height is set to your liking its like a glove that fits properly.
Theres no feedback when it activates but that doesnt matter, its a lovely keyboard to type on and for gaming.

The software is fine but I ended up not using it (and uninstalled), everything I needed was configured using the built in OLED.
Quicker and quieter, smaller + a nice feel, I really like it.

It's definitely possible. Each failure was the same. Suddenly, the keys just no longer worked. No typing and no illumination. Oddly enough, the USB-passthrough port still worked. I liked the adjustable actuation, but maybe there's a flaw in the design. Or, I just got on an unlucky streak with the Apex Pro.

The OPX opti-mechanical switches on the Corsair K70 are not user adjustable, so we'll see if any unpleasantness develops.
This looks like a general failure as it impacts all keys simultaneously, the keys have very little to go wrong.
I suspect cable or controller fault/bad connection.

LFaWolf I have one, and then I bought one for my wife as well because she complained about accidentally pressing certain "pinkie keys" when she was working, so I bought a second for her. She still hits the keys but has made them with a longer actuation point so that they don't register. Mine I've had since August 2020, hers is 6 months old. Zero issues. Software is easy to work with and non-intrusive, unlike some others (*Cough* Razer *Cough*).

I had to make sure a USB sleep option was disabled else it sometimes would hang on waking up. Other than that so far the TKL I got a few weeks ago has been wonderful.

Back