SteamVR Beta Supports 16 Base Stations and More VR News

cageymaru

Fully [H]
SteamVR Beta now supports up to 16 base stations that allows users to cover multiple rooms. In this Twitter post by the China President of HTC Vive, Alvin Graylin, he shows an associate opening doors and entering multiple rooms while being fully tracked by the HTC Vive VR headset. He touts the cost saving of the technology and I must admit that I was impressed! You can read the Valve announcement here.

Looks like there’s a little #surprise in the new #SteamVR Beta! Our lab here just linked upto 16 #basestations 2.0 together to cover multiple rooms into a single virtual tracked space w/ the #VivePro! Large space #VR setup costs are about to drop exponentially! Thanks Valve! pic.twitter.com/kPDG4xMErG

Samsung is working on anti SDE AMOLED display technology for better VR. This technology would help overcome the Screen Door Effect (SDE) that creates the visible grid lines that plague the current VR HMD technology from HTC and Oculus.

Finally Sony London’s lead game designer Michael Hampden discussed the possibility of new genres of games exclusive to VR emerging in the future. He talks about haptic feedback entering the VR space soon and the possibility of holodecks. He also touches on the importance of brick and mortar stores.

Make sure that you check out the Twitter video on how the up to 16 base station VR system works. That's a really cool video!

SteamVR Beta now supports up to 16 base stations that allows users to cover multiple rooms. In this Twitter post by the China President of HTC Vive, Alvin Graylin, he shows an associate opening doors and entering multiple rooms while being fully tracked by the HTC Vive VR headset. He touts the cost saving of the technology and I must admit that I was impressed! You can read the Valve announcement here.

Looks like there’s a little #surprise in the new #SteamVR Beta! Our lab here just linked upto 16 #basestations 2.0 together to cover multiple rooms into a single virtual tracked space w/ the #VivePro! Large space #VR setup costs are about to drop exponentially! Thanks Valve! pic.twitter.com/kPDG4xMErG

Samsung is working on anti SDE AMOLED display technology for better VR. This technology would help overcome the Screen Door Effect (SDE) that creates the visible grid lines that plague the current VR HMD technology from HTC and Oculus.

Finally Sony London’s lead game designer Michael Hampden discussed the possibility of new genres of games exclusive to VR emerging in the future. He talks about haptic feedback entering the VR space soon and the possibility of holodecks. He also touches on the importance of brick and mortar stores.

Not really useful for home use. I have cleared (almost, I suppose) a room for VR. You'd be nuts to clear several.

Kill house simulator business coming up
Could you imagine a horror game that detects the layout of your house and then places enemies in various rooms according to if the door is open already or not?

If you fall down and break a leg when running from an enemy like this can you sue?

Could you imagine a horror game that detects the layout of your house and then places enemies in various rooms according to if the door is open already or not?

I would throw all kinds of money at this company lol. Wife be damned! I want this! haha (nicely asks his wife if he can buy this).

If they get the VIVE pro (or a later version) headset to use the camera to do an AR mode then the multi-room stuff is going to be REAL nice. Even without that supporting more than two base stations will allow larger spaces, and realistically more than two can improve the tracking for smaller spaces, less chance of being out of sight of at least one base station.

Back