Steam's Fallout 3 and Vista 64 bit Problem

Fire488

Limp Gawd
I know that I replied in another post, but I did not realize that it was about Fallout 2 and my problem is with Fallout 3.

I have tried everything mentioned in almost all forums to get Fallout 3 (Steam version)to run on my gaming laptop (P7811FX Gateway).It uses Vista Home Premium 64 bit. This laptop can run Crysis on relatively high settings with no problem. All drivers are updated and when I try to launch the game nothing happens. I check my processes to see the Fallout Launcher using 50% to 85% processor power. I left it like that for an hour and it never loaded. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game 5 times to no avail. I am lost, anyone have this problem or a solution?

Contact Steam tech support would be my first tip. They'll refer you to the forums and there's quite a bit of run around, but that's all I can really think of off the top of my head.

I have a support ticket in for a few days now with no answer. now i know it's the holiday season and understand, but their forums are of no help at all. All i get is replies like: "my game works fine with vista 64" and many others like that. Well, those replies are not helping me. LOL
Thanks though

If you're like a lot of us and a lot of these problems...it isn't Steam's fault. The faults lie with the game itself.

When you launch FO3, is it from the launcher menu? The one that pops up with Play, Data Files, etc.? Or are you going straight to the fallout3.exe, which I'd recommend if you haven't already.

Should be located in your (by default) C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout3 directory.

When you launch FO3, is it from the launcher menu? The one that pops up with Play, Data Files, etc.? Or are you going straight to the fallout3.exe, which I'd recommend if you haven't already.

Should be located in your (by default) C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout3 directory.

I don't even get to the launcher menu; it never appears.
Remember, this is a steam game. I found the exe files in steam and I get error messages from there. this is a tough one.

If you're like a lot of us and a lot of these problems...it isn't Steam's fault. The faults lie with the game itself.

It is absolutely Steam's fault in this case. They are the one that accepted the money so the blame lies with them. Steam has been releasing games like this that are not ready for at least 3 years. This is an injustice and they should be punished for it.

I don't even get to the launcher menu; it never appears.
Remember, this is a steam game. I found the exe files in steam and I get error messages from there. this is a tough one.

Not really a tough one, this is a fallout 3 bug, not steam's. Steam only handles the monetary transaction and the game download, once you start running it the same fallout3 launcher that the dvd version has is used and takes over.

It is absolutely Steam's fault in this case. They are the one that accepted the money so the blame lies with them. Steam has been releasing games like this that are not ready for at least 3 years. This is an injustice and they should be punished for it.

:rolleyes:

Dude, you need to chill out. Steam is a retailer. They receive the products from the publishers(the same products you are buying at any store), in good faith that it is a complete and finished product. Of course its the publishers fault. Are you seriously going to WalMart and bitch them out, cause you bought a Xbox360 that RROD'd out of the box? Who's fault is it there? If you blame WalMart, you should blame yourself for buying a faulty product.

Point the finger at Bethesda, and then blame yourself for buying something without proper research. This game is buggy, and that is a very well known fact at the moment.

I'm just going to take a few guesses here:

1) Could be DRM conflict. Are you running any disc emulators or other software that might trip a drm sensor?
2) You can run the exe directly for a steam game as well, its under the steam\steamapps\fallout3 (or similar) directory. That might help.
3) Trying using a more detailed process viewer like http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx and see if there is a particular dll issue when the fallout3loader is up

Just three areas I can think of. I really sounds like a DRM issue though since the laucher is failing to load. Have you checked the main Bethesda FO3 forumns at all?

You couldn't be more wrong and here's why:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033486848#post1033486848 see post 2 and there's plenty more where all that came from.

Steam is simply a distribution service. The blame goes to the actual publisher and developer of said games, not the retailer or distribution service.

Dude, you need to chill out. Steam is a retailer. They receive the products from the publishers(the same products you are buying at any store), in good faith that it is a complete and finished product. Of course its the publishers fault. Are you seriously going to WalMart and bitch them out, cause you bought a Xbox360 that RROD'd out of the box? Who's fault is it there? If you blame WalMart, you should blame yourself for buying a faulty product.

Point the finger at Bethesda, and then blame yourself for buying something without proper research. This game is buggy, and that is a very well known fact at the moment.

Wow man! down boy, down boy... calm now? ok good.

I did buy a defective XBox 360 for my son at WalMart and guess what? I brought it back and WalMart replaced it.
I wrote to Bethesda's tech support and they directed me back to Steam where I purchased the product. They will not support steam purchased games. Check for yourself.
Please get a clue before you post again or ill bury you with more facts.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033486848#post1033486848 see post 2 and there's plenty more where all that came from.

Steam is simply a distribution service. The blame goes to the actual publisher and developer of said games, not the retailer or distribution service.

People like you convinced me over a decade agothat I'd rather rot in a sewer or go to less than wholesome and honest means before ever working in retail again under any circumstances. Thanks for the reminder.

As i said prior, I wrote to Bethesda's support and they will not support Steam purchased games. Has anyone other than me looked into this or are you just posting what you think is right?
I see that you have looked into this, but did you notice that small detail?

I'm just going to take a few guesses here:

1) Could be DRM conflict. Are you running any disc emulators or other software that might trip a drm sensor?
2) You can run the exe directly for a steam game as well, its under the steam\steamapps\fallout3 (or similar) directory. That might help.
3) Trying using a more detailed process viewer like http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx and see if there is a particular dll issue when the fallout3loader is up

Just three areas I can think of. I really sounds like a DRM issue though since the laucher is failing to load. Have you checked the main Bethesda FO3 forumns at all?

I have a post in their forums as well. I tried to start a support ticket, but they do not support the Steam version of Fallout 3.
I will look into what you have advised me on. Thank you.

People like you convinced me over a decade agothat I'd rather rot in a sewer or go to less than wholesome and honest means before ever working in retail again under any circumstances. Thanks for the reminder.

well theres station B heard from, nice to know we're onto the stage of name calling...

Theres a fix out there. The morons telling you that "well it works for me" are morons but they do prove it works, there is a fix out there you just gotta find it.

Itried to launch from the exe as an administrator, but get a steam popup error that reads:
" Application load error P:0000065432"

Same happens when i try to execute the FalloutLauncher exe.

I cannot see any processes that would interfere with the launch of the game so far.

Thank you MrWizard6600, this is frustrating

Use the edit button so you don't have to double and triple post. And if the issue is with the game, Steam should not be responsible. Consider if you were running Steam, and providing dozens or hundreds of games for people to purchase; when something goes wrong, who's responsible: the people who wrote the game, or the ones who added a now-standard wrapper and DRM mechanism that is attached to all Steam games? It'd be ridiculous for Steam to have to deal with support for all those games, especially when the company that made the game is the one that did a crappy job in the first place. If Bethesda refuses to provide support for the Steam version of their game, that's an entirely different issue, and a failure on their part. But then, I've always found Bethesda games to have quite a few issues, mediocre design and absurd requirements.

Anyway, here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8381081166/m/7581008117
Different game, same error, and a fix.

I have a support ticket in for a few days now with no answer. now i know it's the holiday season and understand, but their forums are of no help at all. All i get is replies like: "my game works fine with vista 64" and many others like that. Well, those replies are not helping me. LOL
Thanks though

"Hello,

Thank you for submitting your question to our staff. We will respond to your question by email."

My question was why my STALKER:SOC wasn't running with my specs. I've heard nothing since December 23rd, when they had the $5 sale. That's unacceptable.

Yah, I can't run L4D on my laptop for some reason. Filled a support request on the 20th and never heard back from them (and its their game so they can't pass the buck on that one). I generally love Steam, but if something goes wrong don't expect it to actualy get fixed.

I will assume some responsibility here for this problem though. I should have done my homework before purchasing it in the first place.

I had a glance at your thread on the Steam forums, and you mentioned that you were having the same issue on your gaming rig and laptop, so I'd guess it's a software issue. Something you have installed is interfering from the looks of it. Doubly so if you're having issues with other games as well.

Also, from a sticky in the forums:
When contacting Support for Technical issues, please make sure you do the following:

* Provide a detailed and specific description of the issue that you are experiencing (including any error messages)
* Attach an MSINFO32 Report to your ticket
* Attach any pictures that might help explain the issue
* Most issues can be solved by reading our existing FAQs. Please search through our Knowledge Base before submitting a Support Ticket

Failing to provide the above information on your initial ticket submission may result in a delay in resolving the issue.

If you have an open ticket that has not yet been responded to, please update it with the above information.

I will assume some responsibility here for this problem though. I should have done my homework before purchasing it in the first place.

I wish I had. I have the retail version but many if not most/all of the same myraid of bugs affect all versions of the game anyways.

As i said prior, I wrote to Bethesda's support and they will not support Steam purchased games. Has anyone other than me looked into this or are you just posting what you think is right?

Unfortuantely, I've wasted enough time on Fallout 3 to know I'm right.

Now you do bring up something that needs to be looked into further and I bolded that item.

I'm truly perplexed as to how or why any developer/publisher would not support one of their own games over a legitimate means of distribution, of which Steam is? This response puts Steam in the same category as some random warez torrent or something like that. It sabotages legit outlets like Steam and completely takes away any incentive from using them.

If I were Steam, I would be fighting mad against any publisher/developer with a policy like that. That just shouldn't be.

For all this: Steam simply should issue you a refund if nothing else and it shouldn't be a federal case to get that done.

well theres station B heard from, nice to know we're onto the stage of name calling...

I didn't call anyone any names. And I stand by everything I wrote.

Theres a fix out there. The morons telling you that "well it works for me" are morons but they do prove it works, there is a fix out there you just gotta find it.

What? What's the fix? Believe me I've spent an asinine amount of time trying to get Fallout 3 to not CTD all over the place for me.

The only fix I see is uninstalling the game and freeing up my hard drive until such time as it either gets fixed by Bethesda and/or a third party mod source.

twil said:
"Hello,

Thank you for submitting your question to our staff. We will respond to your question by email."

My question was why my STALKER:SOC wasn't running with my specs. I've heard nothing since December 23rd, when they had the $5 sale.

That's unacceptable.

Yes, that is. That is 100 percent Steam's fault and worthy of anger and scorn for sure.

I had a glance at your thread on the Steam forums, and you mentioned that you were having the same issue on your gaming rig and laptop, so I'd guess it's a software issue. Something you have installed is interfering from the looks of it. Doubly so if you're having issues with other games as well.

Also, from a sticky in the forums:
I did all of that a few times. They have not responded. The gaming laptop is completely stock. I have nothing running that should interfere with this game.

You tried running Steam (not just the game) as admin? Cause I'm pretty much out of ideas here.

I did all of that a few times. They have not responded. The gaming laptop is completely stock. I have nothing running that should interfere with this game.

Next you'll be run through the usual gambit of "add these codecs" then "subtract these codecs" "turn off all these services in the background including your virus protector" and all this other nonsense and guess what you're going to find?

I'll save you a bunch of time: You'll find that the fault lies solely with the game and nothing is wrong with either of your systems hardware or software wise.

It would be more suspicious if you had problems with any of your other games. Do you? I bet you don't. ;)

There. I just saved you a bunch of wasted time and energy, believe me. Welcome to the party.

I know this is frustrating as hell Q-BZ. I am sick of trying to get this game to work anymore. I would love to get my money back at this point, but there has been no response to that request yet either. Buyer beware!

I know this is frustrating as hell Q-BZ. I am sick of trying to get this game to work anymore. I would love to get my money back at this point, but there has been no response to that request yet either. Buyer beware!

It's such a shame. Bethesda makes great games but their track record of releasing buggy as hell software in the early goings is just flat out abysmal, I'm sorry to say.

It's an awesome game...when you can actually play it in between random and, for me, ever increasing/worsening CTDs.

That's what makes it even more frustrating.

Dude, it's your computer. You also posted in another thread that you are having problems running BF2 and BF2142!

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1380921

Sounds like he ran into a compatiblity issue there just as I did trying to get Vice City to run on Vista 64 and not have it suddenly freeze and crash even though I ran that in compatibilty mode as well and did everything else possible under the sun.

I hope that doesn't mean something is wrong with my computer. ;)

You know you're in trouble with "advice" when the thread ends with:
"Try a fresh install of Vista!"

Screw that.

Sounds like he ran into a compatiblity issue there just as I did trying to get Vice City to run on Vista 64 and not have it suddenly freeze and crash even though I ran that in compatibilty mode as well and did everything else possible under the sun.

I hope that doesn't mean something is wrong with my computer. ;)

You know you're in trouble with "advice" when the thread ends with:
"Try a fresh install of Vista!"

Screw that.

Could not agree more...

Dude, it's your computer. You also posted in another thread that you are having problems running BF2 and BF2142!

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1380921

Apparently he's also having/had issues with several others:
i had the same problem starting with CoD4, then Crysis, and more recently CoD5. The problems were related to problems with Vista compatibility which is not added to the fine script when making the purchase. Many people are having this issue and nothing to date is being done. I still have not received a reply from my support ticket.

I'm inclined to agree with Sipster; if most people with the same OSs are having no issues, and your problems extend across so many games...

I'm inclined to agree with Sipster; if most people with the same OSs are having no issues, and your problems extend across so many games...

That quote is from my post in the Steam powered forums genius. It is in reference to the same problem as this post.

Its Vista 64 man. the BF2 issue has been going on forever and is well known. The Fallout 3 is somewhat new.
When I ran my Laptop with XP Pro BF2 ran fine, so its vista 64.

Now this unfortunately I have to consider: Vista 64. A lot better after SP1 and I really like the OS overall now but I guess I still just can't rule out certain things with it.

I'm halfway contemplating if I need to reinstall XP and go for the dual boot action or something... In Fallout 3's case, though, I have seen people with Vista 32 and XP have a good amount of the same problems including the random CTDs and such.

It's a pity setting the game or other software item to XP or some other Windows variant in compatibility mode for some of this isn't good enough sometimes.

OK i just ran my steam account on my son's Vista 64 desktop and it is doing exactly the same thing as my laptop. It doesn't run. I think we can safely rule out that it is my computer and start concentrating on the fact that it has to do with an incompatibility in Vista 64.

I guess I am just going to wait until I get a reply from steam support.
BTW, I have this issue posted on atleast 10 tech sites. It is in regard to the same issue with Fallout 3.

That quote is from my post in the Steam powered forums genius. It is in reference to the same problem as this post.
I think I know that dude, considering that's where I got it; I was just adding to the list of things you were having issues with. To be frank, the guys in the Steam thread were right: you're being an asshole. Sarcasm is not appreciated when someone is trying to help you figure out the source of a problem.

I did buy a defective XBox 360 for my son at WalMart and guess what? I brought it back and WalMart replaced it.
I wrote to Bethesda's tech support and they directed me back to Steam where I purchased the product. They will not support steam purchased games.

Wal Mart has a return policy. Steam does not.
That last line would keep me from buying Bethesda games on Steam. But, thats just me.

Good luck.

Back