Steam's Big Picture goes beta today...

I'd love to see this on my big screen TV but I don't have a very good setup for KBM in my living room right now. Maybe one day . . .

I'm really excited about this. I put my old q6600 in the living room some time ago and it's been great for controller compatible games. As far as keyboards go I'm using a bluetooth connected Logitech PS3 keyboard that has a small touchpad on the side. It's not a perfect solution, but it works when you need it. For the HTPC I use xbmc remote on a phone or a Lenovo multimedia remote.

Now we just need a good way to boot directly into Steam Big Picture from XBMC, and then go back when you're done with the game. That combined with Hyperspin or Rom Browser would be the ultimate media gaming center (with WMC as needed for OTA).

Baby steps:
"What we really want is to ship [Big Picture mode] and then learn," Coomer said. "So we want to find out what people value about that. How they make use of it. When they make use of it. Whether it's even a good idea for the broadest set of customers or not. And then decide what to do next.

"So it could be that the thing that really makes sense is to build the box that you're describing. But we really don't have a road map. And we think we're going to learn a tremendous amount through this first release."
A still customizable small box PC with wireless controller or keyboard/mouse, with "Big Picture" Steam UI and still powerful enough to play the latest games out there without spending hundreds or thousand-plus for a dedicated gaming PC, might actually work.

If this is a sign that Steam is going to use this as a "test the waters" kind of thing to see how users feel about the interface, and see if it as intuitive as it seems, and if successful, they may consider a console-like PC box.

The IDE and development tools are already there for developers if it's a Windows-based console, so there isn't a need for a custom IDE or API unless what's made by the developer themselves. And, if it brings more people to buy computer games in a very accessible manner, then it might help revive or increase interest for PC gaming. Or, better yet, get some people off consoles (even just a little) back to PC gaming.

I'm definitely going to test this out tonight and see how this is. My second monitor is an HDTV in my room.

I'm super-excited about this, too. I've been on the "my PC is hooked up to my TV" train for a long time. In recent years I've seen more and more support for the idea. The fact that Steam is such a huge part of PC gaming, this is huge.

Since Windows 8 more or less dumps the Games Explorer, this could probably be an excellent replacement for it if they give it some flexibility. Everything looks and reminds me of the Media Center interface.

My next wish is that they allow multiple logins under the same account. It's annoying to have to disconnect the living room computer from Steam so that my main gaming desktop updates, etc. This problem grows when you add a laptop to the mix. Syncing 3-4 pc's steam libraries has become a chore.

My next wish is that they allow multiple logins under the same account. It's annoying to have to disconnect the living room computer from Steam so that my main gaming desktop updates, etc. This problem grows when you add a laptop to the mix. Syncing 3-4 pc's steam libraries has become a chore.

Maybe auto-kick-out, I don't think multiple login will happen.

I really hope this works for so many reasons.

1. Social gaming. My wife used to say when I was a huge PC gamer that even when I was on the laptop in the room with her, it was like I was still not there. Gaming on a console allows for more casual, social gameplay.
2. Game patches/updates/support. (Hopefully) no more of this online pass nonsense.
3. Modding.
4. Cheaper games. Game prices on steam are a slap in the face to the pricing structure microsoft has in place on the xbox.

I'm patiently waiting for this to go live. I put a GTX 460 I had lying around in my HTPC... should be good for a lot of platformer type games.

I'm certainly checking this out. I've been waiting for Valve to do this for quite some time.

Still no updates? I wish they'd work on the bigger faults (no tabbed browsing, no download priorities/scheduler/queuing, but this might be nice to have. :D

2. Game patches/updates/support. (Hopefully) no more of this online pass nonsense.

Steam is a giant online pass system. :p

I'm a little confused. What's the difference between this and what we've always been able to do by using a TV as a computer monitor and then just launching Steam?

Step 1 before they announce a Linux based Steam-box. Valve knows their time is ticking away with the Windows platform as MS is going to rid itself of 3rd party stores in the future. Already the WinRT platform forces all purchases and app installs through the Windows Store, so its only a matter of time before future versions of Windows get rid of the desktop altogether. Yes its there in Windows 8 Pro .. but thats it, thats the last bastion of hope for Valve on Windows. Beyond Windows 8 Pro is nothing, MS has made if very clear they are doing away with the 'desktop' and Windows 8 legacy x86 support is just a temporary stop gap and a bridge into the future. Windows of the future is the Windows Store, and thats it. MS will be clever about it and instead of straight forcing on consumers overnight, will ween them off of it and basically breed out die hard consumers with a younger generation of consumer who are ready and willing to buy everything through the Windows Store only. It might take 10 years, but its coming. The time it took for you to read that paragraph, another few consumers came to market ready to accept change and another few old timers croaked.

Its sink or swim for Valve. They have plenty of time to figure out a solution as it may take 5+ years before we see MS force out stores like Steam. But ultimately Valve knows they have to start making moves if they want to be around in 10 years. Windows is not going to be an ideal or available platform for their company in a few years. Many people oversee this and assume stuff like Big Picture Steam and Linux support as Valve being awesome and innovative. No ... its Valve having foresight and scrambling to lay the foundation to even exist in another 10 years.

Many laughed at Microsoft all these years and thought they were overlooking the PC market while Valve soared. On the contrary, Microsoft had even more foresight and spent their time/resources redesigning their entire future OS platforms to simply cut out the competition. Steam + Windows is a dying combination ... Gabe knows it.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. What's the difference between this and what we've always been able to do by using a TV as a computer monitor and then just launching Steam?

The UI and control of the UI are designed for TV's and console controllers. No need for a keyboard or mouse.

Having a friendly UI while sitting a few feet away from the TV. It will still function the same and the content will be the same, it's just giving users a better layout for that type of setup.

Man, if they could do a streaming box (ala Slingbox) from your PC somewhere else in your house...this would be the perfect solution. The box would have USB inputs that also are streamed to the PC somewhere else, but I don't know how difficult that would be to make. I would think latency would be a problem.

Man, if they could do a streaming box (ala Slingbox) from your PC somewhere else in your house...this would be the perfect solution. The box would have USB inputs that also are streamed to the PC somewhere else, but I don't know how difficult that would be to make. I would think latency would be a problem.

You can with an Apple TV and using something like AirFoil but as you said, latency and IQ are issues. I tried it with minecraft and while it worked okay, it wasn't acceptable to me.

They do have the wireless GPU's that would probably work pretty good.

You can with an Apple TV and using something like AirFoil but as you said, latency and IQ are issues. I tried it with minecraft and while it worked okay, it wasn't acceptable to me.

They do have the wireless GPU's that would probably work pretty good.

HDMI over Cat 6 is also an option if you are looking to hook your main gaming machine up to the living room receiver.

Im a little confused to be honest. My plasma is connected to my computer like a 3rd monitor and it slides along the wall on an arm.

How will this benefit me?

Just tried it out on my desktop, everything is badass. This is going to be very nice for my HTPC. I really like that you can launch it without a mouse (center button on xbox controller)... now all they need is a way to log into steam this way, as I share an account on my desktop and my htpc.

Using the browser now. I think the type controller layout is awesome and will eventually be able to type with it pretty quick. Everything looks very nice. Crisp clear text.

Problems I ran into. Exiting a game pressing the "ok" button on the control twice will relaunch the game. After exiting the game the big picture UI was laggy. Getting out of big picture lagged my computer for a good minute to the point I actually had my finger on my desktops reset button.

Last edited:
The UI and control of the UI are designed for TV's and console controllers. No need for a keyboard or mouse.

With a proper MCE remote and an XInput controller (like Logitech F710, or the X360 controller), mouse/keboard controls aren't needed anyway on an HDTV, especially for games that traditionally run better on controllers.

It's a good development, as gaming HTPC users like me get another 10 foot interface application similar to the excellent Windows Media Center and XBMC. However, comments like "Now I can play PC games on my TV" are indeed puzzling. That's giving Valve a bit too much credit.

It's nice but still has issues (due to software design outside of Valve's control). For example, launching Arkham Asylum GOTY brings up the AA launcher...which requires a mouse.

Played around with it a little - this is pretty much exactly what you need for Windows 8 since it no longer has Game Explorer.
Just use this (or normal grid view) and have all of your games displayed on Steam using the zillions of pre-made custom made Steam grid images.
Interface-wise, it's actually really really similar to Windows Media Center and/or the Netflix app.
Kind of neat, especially for Win8, but not really all that big of deal for Win7...yet.

HDMI over Cat 6 is also an option if you are looking to hook your main gaming machine up to the living room receiver.

I've read about that, do you know how well it works? I would just have to figure out how to look up a USB port downstairs.

It's pretty great...until it crashes ;)

I can get it to run for about a minute or so and navigate around until it crashes out.

Interesting stuff. Checked a few of the screens and links. I don't have anything hooked up to my TV now but may try with my laptop this week.

Mix of XBox interface with some cool steam-ified parts.

Played around with it a little - this is pretty much exactly what you need for Windows 8 since it no longer has Game Explorer.
Just use this (or normal grid view) and have all of your games displayed on Steam using the zillions of pre-made custom made Steam grid images.
Interface-wise, it's actually really really similar to Windows Media Center and/or the Netflix app.
Kind of neat, especially for Win8, but not really all that big of deal for Win7...yet.

Ah, so you were the one user that used game explorer... :p

I messed around with it for a bit today.

First of all I could get nitpicky, but then again I have used consoles which are far less efficient. I used and XBOX 360 controller and it worked perfectly with no configuration. The main advantage for me was not so much the controller support but the fact that finally valve has an option to increase the size of words since they have been way to lazy to respect windows DPI scaling.

Anyhow its been a long time coming but this is very cool.

I just had one bug where I could not leave a menu. The way you type with an XBOX controller is very interesting too, I could imagine getting somewhat fast with it. Does anyone know if it supports the XBOX chat keyboard thing and headphones? I might buy one if so, last time windows did not support it so I returned it.

In fact I am so impressed I may just buy a valve title to reward them for supporting the PC.

I have a gaming HTPC like others and I'm sick of squinting when trying to find a game to play. Let's hope it works.

Ah, so you were the one user that used game explorer... :p

Game Explorer sucks "out of the box" but if you use a program like Games Explorer Editor, it's great. I have all of my games (Steam included) with custom box art in the same place.
It beats having 50 unique folders for each game or having an extra (other) games folder.

I'm one of those people that is a minimalist when it comes to folders. I have maybe 6 folders and all of my programs arranged in them.

It's ok, but theres still a few annoyances:

• First of all on the default steam the big picture icon is ugly. :D (though I suppose that makes you want to use it to make it dissapear)
  • Then when you play the games, steps like installations need a mouse, so you need to use those anyway. (though theres not much they can do to fix this)
  • Theen the controller text entry has no ! or ' :eek: (but it does have smiley and sad faces).
  • For some reason it auto signed me in to friends. :eek:
  • It seems to relies on the rubbish xbox controller, exclusively.
  • Everything seems low resolution. Wish it was adjustible up a notch.

It's ok, but theres still a few annoyances:

• First of all on the default steam the big picture icon is ugly. :D (though I suppose that makes you want to use it to make it dissapear)
  • Then when you play the games, steps like installations need a mouse, so you need to use those anyway. (though theres not much they can do to fix this)
  • Theen the controller text entry has no ! or ' :eek: (but it does have smiley and sad faces).
  • For some reason it auto signed me in to friends. :eek:
  • It seems to relies on the rubbish xbox controller, exclusively.

The exclamation mark is there, gotta have caps on.

The thing that annoys me is that Steam seems to have taken a step backwards in regards to multiple logins to the same account. Previously, when I would sign into Steam on my HTPC, it would kick me off Steam on my desktop. Just tried today, and got an error that I couldn't login until I manually logged out of Steam on my other computer. So this really makes sharing Steam across two computers a pain in the ass... which seems like something most people will want to do.

I love the concept here, but until they allow simultaneous logins to the same account, it's not really usable for me. At the very least, they should go back to letting me login and just kicking my other account off... but even then they would also need to make it so I could use the on screen keyboard to login, or else I'd still require a keyboard to get things going.

I'd imagine it might take a little effort on their end, but pretty much all of the games that have mouse-only "launcher" programs as a lead-in to the game have a direct exe that bypasses them. Stuff like Batman, Dragon Age, Amnesia, etc. can all be directly accessed via a game executable.
It would require the devs to detect if the TV application is running and then go to the direct game launcher. Either that or maybe allow the end user to choose that option.
I dunno how well it'll ever be implemented for older games, but it's something that can work going forward.

Back