SteamOS getting more polished

Frobozz

[H]ard|Gawd
The initial beta of SteamOS didn't work with the extra hardware I had lying around, and I just wasn't feeling [H] enough to hack on it at the time. There was a new release in January (don't remember if it made the front page or not) that baked in a lot of the community modifications that expanded hardware support OOTB.

I just gave it another try and it worked as easy as Next -> Next -> Next... Quite pleased. Next thing I'm hoping for is to get a home streaming invite.
Anyone received invite and mess with that much? How's the performance looking?

I'm just derping around with a Q9450 + 8800GT in a 'way too big for htpc' case. If the streaming experience comes together, I'm really tempted to spring for a NUC.

Some of the reviews I've seen of the home streaming stuff look pretty solid. I haven't tried it yet myself.

I think I saw one guy streaming it to a friggin' Raspberry Pi. A NUC should work great.

Good to know. Has anyone attempted to install it to a VMware Player and/or VirtualBox VM with success?

What's the difference between those 3 versions?

Basically,

'SteamOSDVD.iso' is, well, an ISO. To burn on a DVD or to use with a VM I suppose.
'SteamOSImage.zip' is essentially a pre-configured installation;
'SteamOSInstaller.zip' is an installer, allows you some degree of customization;

Most people choose the second (Image) option AFAIK.

Feel free to correct me.

No luck on the oldish rig I'm testing with (Llano tricore, A75).
The SteamOS images/zips (tried all 3) hang after choosing an install type. YeOld gets through Debian and Grub install, but then hangs to a blinking cursor on first boot. Tried both UEFI and non.

I can successfully run SteamOS in VMware Player. I even played Cogs on it but the bad part is I can't change the resolution while in the main SteamOS screen.

Screenshot%202014-02-14%2018.33.00.png

I can successfully run SteamOS in VMware Player. I even played Cogs on it but the bad part is I can't change the resolution while in the main SteamOS screen.

Screenshot%202014-02-14%2018.33.00.png

Why would you run it as a virtual machine? No video hardware acceleration, right? Kind of pointless if you ask me.

There is video hardware acceleration through VMware Player. I gave the VM 1GB of VRAM to utilize from my GTX 680 when it's running.

Back