Steam Winter Sale is LIVE!

Pandora, if you're not going to play them you should gift me HL: Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and Source. :D Merry Christmas to me?

Don't believe you can gift games that were part of a package. Those games came with the first Valve pack on steam that included half-life 2.

i just got gifted the titan quest gold. :)
anyway I'm gonna be getting a few games from the sale.
Civilization III Complete
Jade Empire
and "Shooter" Pack

90% of the games were bought on sales, says I own 100 games. with pretty much the all the valve games bought through retail. Account since 2006

Account value: $557.55

$730.72 without packages

28lt4zq.jpg

Don't believe you can gift games that were part of a package. Those games came with the first Valve pack on steam that included half-life 2.

D'oh...yeah I think I remember reading that now that you mention it. I bought the HL pack that included just about everything but those...I have HL, HL2 + Episodes, Portal, TF2, etc. but I always wanted to play those expansions and re-play HL with the Source engine. It might tide me over until Black Mesa Source is released...ugh.

Holy shhhh....just used that Steam calculator after I did some purchasing with this sale (Eidos Pack, Braid, LucasArts Adventure pack).

ACCOUNT VALUE: $688.61

$896.77 without packages

Wasn't sure where it'd be, but...oops? hah

The only thing that sucks is when Steam's servers are bogged down. GTAIV is like what, 13GB? That's gonna take a hell of a long time if you're only getting a few hundred KB per second. Hopefully it's just that slow during sales like this or after hot new releases.

I ended up not buying anything last night; glad I didn't because I did not realize that the Red Faction pack wasn't a deal until today. I'm going to make a BigArse™ purchase when I get home. :D

The red faction pack is no cheaper than buying all 3 games individually right now.

The only thing that sucks is when Steam's servers are bogged down. GTAIV is like what, 13GB? That's gonna take a hell of a long time if you're only getting a few hundred KB per second. Hopefully it's just that slow during sales like this or after hot new releases.

It's closer to 15GB. :D Steam maxed out my connection on Chicago server last night so the Steam servers have already proven that they can take the load. Download the biggest games overnight so that you don't have to feel like you are waiting forever. And if you back up your games you won't have to worry about re-downloading them later if you decide to uninstall or reformat.

How is GTAIV playability-wise? I know for $8, cant complain, but just curious.

I started playing the game on a Q6600/8GB/GTX 260 rig and it ran pretty well at 1920x1080. That was before most of the patches came out, too. Just don't get too crazy with the graphics detail sliders...you can increase it some, and it'll still look better than the console versions but it's easy to put your 896MB of vidmem into the red area!

I just realized that I need to try the game again at 2560x1600. Too bad they patched in CrossFire support but not SLI.

The red faction pack is no cheaper than buying all 3 games individually right now.

Right. It's actually more expensive, which is why I said I realized today after looking more closely that it wasn't a deal. ;)

I didn't mean it wasn't a deal as in it wasn't on sale...I meant it wasn't a deal as in buying them separately was cheaper than buying the package.

Well I went back and bought both Stalkers (even though I have SoC on disk), Mirror's Edge (also have on disk), Ghostbusters, and the Outrun 2k6 (thanks to whoever put that link up..great find!). Their servers aren't doing squat ATM though, nothing is DL. :D

Thanks, never heard of that one before--I'll keep it in mind.

zerodeefex...+1, this does look interesting...
Liquid Cool
:cool: Awesome!

When this game first hit steam, I bought copies for many of my friends since I wanted people to start playing. Time to just order a bunch as gifts to give out for the holiday. Everyone who ever liked those metroidvanias or has an unnatural fascination with underwater games (I fit into both categories) seems to absolutely love it. It's a great departure from general gaming for sure.

Everyone who ever liked those metroidvanias or has an unnatural fascination with underwater games (I fit into both categories) seems to absolutely love it. It's a great departure from general gaming for sure.

Aw man don't tell me that :eek:
My wallet can't take it... :D
Have to go back and snag that later

If you have an issue with download speeds, check your download region in settings. I'm getting around 1-1.5 MB/s.

If you have an issue with download speeds, check your download region in settings. I'm getting around 1-1.5 MB/s.
speeds are all over the place for Steam and changing the region never matters for me. rarely do I even get 1/4 of my dl speed. GTA 4 actually did okay today averaging about 1.2 MB/s which is almost half of my 20 meg dl speed. still its nothing to see it bounce from decent to insanely low speeds while downloading.

Now I'm getting good speed, just took a minute. (off the Chicago server)
Getting my cap (600KB+/sec)

The only game i was really looking forward to being on sale was L4D2, and unfortunately the sale they have on a single licence, ( which is all i want) is not that great. :(

fall out 3 game of the year edition was $37 yesterday, now $17(looks like they updated the base price to $29)

nvm its up to 37 again wtf

ehhhhhh I was going to jump on FO3 for $17 for sure... I guess that's coming though!

The only game i was really looking forward to being on sale was L4D2, and unfortunately the sale they have on a single licence, ( which is all i want) is not that great. :(

I'm guessing (hoping) we'll see a good deal on L4D2 on Xmas day.

It's funny how much my steam value dropped (steamcalculator.com) since the sale started :D It's dropped just bout 50%.

Account value: $746.79

$944.19 without packages

I plan on adding a hundred to that soon enough as well.

The only thing that stood out to appeal to me was the Eidos Pack if I hadn't already snagged Batman form $25 from D2D a few days ago.

Want FO3 for $17...

it was up(I'm sure of it because I nearly pissed myself when I saw it), but as soon as I added it to cart it was back to the $37 price. Seems kind of odd, maybe its part of the next round of one time deals(like gta, stalker, etc)

Trying to install GTA IV:

"The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request.
Please try again in a few minutes."

... and I live in the same area as the Valve headquarters :(

I bought GTA4 and Aquaria which after trying the demo, looks great... it only supports up to 1400x1050 4:3 resolution but it scales fine with pillar-boxing on my 2560x1600 Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" monitor just fine, still looks sharp. The game feels top-notch and has the mechanics of/plays a lot like older CastleVania/Metroid games combined.

can someone please list the best deals on steam ??

Just to name a few:

STALKER: SoC $19.99 - ($18.00) = $1.99 at checkout
GTA 4 - $29.99 - ($22.50) = $7.49
Torchlight - $10
Trine - $8

There are seriously a ton of games on sale. If you can think of one it's most likely on sale. If it's not, I'm willing to bet it will be when the daily deals reset.

Back