Steam weekend deal: Sid Meier's Civilization IV

Damn, I bought Dirt 2 and Civilization 4: The Complete Collection on Direct2Drive for $10 each, and then Steam gets them at the same price a short while later. Argh!

I did get Civilization 3: Complete for $1.25. God knows how much time I wasted on that game and why I bought the sequel on D2D to give that a try.

Civ III is marked down to a buck 25.

$1.25

Edit: Purchased Civ III and IV complete for $11.25, not to shabby!

Great deal, but I wish I had more time to play video games. :(

I just picked up GTA-VC last weekend, which will keep me busy for a while.

I have Civ. 3 that I played quite a bit, but never reinstalled after I rebuilt my PC.

Only a few decades to go before I'm eligible to retire ... and play some video games. :eek:

Civ III is marked down to a buck 25.

$1.25

Edit: Purchased Civ III and IV complete for $11.25, not to shabby!

Ditto. I already have Cive III and just the Civ 4 main game, so this is a sick combo, especially since my CiV III CD is getting a little worn...:D

EVERYONE SHOULD BUY THIS!!

If you've never given Civilization a try in the past, now is the time!

I paid about $25 IIRC back during the Christmas sale for this deal. Worth every penny at $25 even more so at $10.

I was hoping last week that Steam would match the D2D deal. I'd just rather have it on Steam with everything else. Much to my surprise when I logged on to Steam this morning, I saw it. It's a great game and I'm sure I'll play hours upon hours of it until V comes out in September.

Bought Civ 3 and 4 for $11.25. That's one hell of a deal... I can't keep up with all of the steam games I'm buying.

I've never played a Civ game before, but I picked up 4. Is it worth picking up 3, or should I just stick with 4 and get 5 when it comes out (if I like it).

i really liked alpha centari and civ III...

10 bucks ... I might not play it for a while but could be a solid game investment vs future boredom...

I'll most likely get Civ 4, but not sure if I'll bother w/ the expansion packs. Civ 3 was fantastic and I was going to reinstall it, but probably won't bother if I get Civ 4.

How large is the download for Civ 4? Just wondering, not that I'm hurting for disk space (yet).

A friend has Civ 4, but not via Steam. He said that Civ 4 has a multi-player feature that allows 2 (or more?) people to play in the same civilization. Would this Steam version allow me to play against someone who is not on Steam? :confused:

I'll most likely get Civ 4, but not sure if I'll bother w/ the expansion packs. Civ 3 was fantastic and I was going to reinstall it, but probably won't bother if I get Civ 4.

How large is the download for Civ 4? Just wondering, not that I'm hurting for disk space (yet).

A friend has Civ 4, but not via Steam. He said that Civ 4 has a multi-player feature that allows 2 (or more?) people to play in the same civilization. Would this Steam version allow me to play against someone like him who is not on Steam? :confused:

A friend has Civ 4, but not via Steam. He said that Civ 4 has a multi-player feature that allows 2 (or more?) people to play in the same civilization. Would this Steam version allow me to play against someone like him who is not on Steam? :confused:

I do not see why not. :)

There should be nothing different in the Steam version that would make it incompatible for you guys to play together.

The expansions are very good. Warlords and BTS introduced the concept of generals which add a very interesting dynamic to civ.

Civ. IV is a great deal. Beyond the Sword expansion adds a significant amount of gameplay.

Check out CivFanatics for patches and great information about all things Civ. Once you have played the base game for a while, check out their forums for expansive mod packs.

While none of the core (i.e. not call to power/etc.) Civ games are 'bad', 3 is not as good as 2 or 4 and I recommend skipping it. 2 makes a nice underpowered laptop game. 4 is modern but did the series justice. Also, I highly recommend Alpha Centauri.

I do not see why not. :)

There should be nothing different in the Steam version that would make it incompatible for you guys to play together.
Cool - I thought that multiplayer gaming from Steam required others to have a Steam account and the game purchased through them. I guess I'm not sure what the Steam network really offers if it's not needed. I bought a few games from Steam but all are solo or I've only used them as solo games.

That just for the base civ 4 game. The whole collection is just shy of 8 gigs.
Thanks for the info. Even if I get just the base Civ 4 game, I'm sure Steam will run a similar sale in the future on the expansion packs.

Does anyone know how long this steam special is for?
Since the title says "weekend" deal, I assume through Sun. But then that makes me wonder why the sale has already taken effect before the weekend.

:confused:

Digital distribution fight!

Too bad I already bought Civ 4 for 5 bucks on D2D a while back...ya think this package would be worth it? I haven't even gotten around to installing it yet. >.>

Crap. Now I have to get rid of my civ 4 complete collection I bought on D2D a few weeks ago. I can't stand when Steam matches prices a few weeks down the line. It's just so much more convenient to use Steam.

Anyone know if I'll have any issues giving away my CivIV collection from D2D? I was just planning on giving the install files and activation codes to one of my friends if they don't already have it.

I bought the $5 stand-alone game (sans expansion packs), which I'm currently downloading.

I also noticed on Amazon's site that Civ 5 is selling as a pre-order, expected to be shipped on 9/1/10. $50 :eek:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since the title says "weekend" deal, I assume through Sun. But then that makes me wonder why the sale has already taken effect before the weekend.

I think it is because they didn't have a mid-week madness deal this week.

It should. It doesn't change any of the game mechanics. It just changes how you access it.

Can a single unit of Cavemen played by the AI still take over a modern city defended by modern units? I remember quitting one of the other versions of Civ because of crazy things like that.

I honestly can't find anywhere where it says weekend deal, and I went back and checked 3 times.

I honestly can't find anywhere where it says weekend deal, and I went back and checked 3 times.

On the front page: http://store.steampowered.com/
civ.png

i don't even find Civ IV on steam or this special anymore, OP's link takes me to the main page and shows nothing about Civ

searching, only. Civ V comes up

Back