steam taking 42 megs

Like Steam is the only Bloated Inefficient Program out there.

The Times they are a Changin

Get used to it.

Soon you'll have 2 Gig Demo Downloads and 10 Gig Full Installs.

It is called time and money. Trust me coming from a software developers side. We don't have the time to make things more efficient because that costs money and corporte doesn't like to spend more than they have to. Plus: programmer's are getting more stupid. Trust me on this one.

finalgt said:
From 24 megs to 42 megs?! Inefficient MONSTERS.

Thats was 24 Megs for all of the GAME Halflife, now its 42 megs for the program that LAUNCHES halflife. Then it takes up more.
:rolleyes:

Arkanian said:
It is called time and money. Trust me coming from a software developers side. We don't have the time to make things more efficient because that costs money and corporte doesn't like to spend more than they have to. Plus: programmer's are getting more stupid. Trust me on this one.
That's dumb that companies don't have the time and money to make a quality product.

ThirtySixBelow said:
That's dumb that companies don't have the time and money to make a quality product.

The reason they don't is because ram is so "cheap" (4 megs cost $100,000 in the mid 70's), so they don't worry about code bloat. They figure you'll just buy more ram.

or just dont run it in the systray when you aren't playing...

You act like pretty graphics and more functionality shouldn't take more space. Of course older games and applications take up less space/use less RAM.

I love to see massive disk footprints. That tells me that a game is going to have lots of good content for me. I don't care much for RAM-intensive programs, especially ones like steam that dont provide anything more useful than I can get from a simple 766 byte desktop shortcut.

if steam takes up too much ram, just dont have it running unless you want to play a game...

42 megs is almost nothing nowadays anyway, and yes it is normal.

If I leave steam running for a while on my machine, it usually uses an upwards of 100-130 megs of ram.. but as the previous poster said, if I need the extra memory, I will simply close the program.

Steam, after running all night, takes up only 19megs. 1 window of Firefox is taking up 60megs...so I'm not complaining.

fromage said:
Steam, after running all night, takes up only 19megs. 1 window of Firefox is taking up 60megs...so I'm not complaining.

Yeah it's only 20 mbs for me, something must be wrong for the original poster.

Nah i don't think anythings wrong, mines also 42mb. Or if something is wrong :mad: :p , but yeh i just close it when i don't play half-life 2.

Shadow27

It depends on how steam and the system is setup. I have purchased every single Valve game that you can get. That seems to be a factor.

Arkanian said:
It depends on how steam and the system is setup. I have purchased every single Valve game that you can get. That seems to be a factor.

I have purchased every single valve game and I have a decent amount of 3rd party mods and it's still only 20mbs.

Steam uses 16MB of Memory and 40MB of VM with the Peak Mem at 50MB on my system

zoobaby said:
I do, I have seen your work. :eek:
LOL where did you see my work? I have gotton ALOT better though trust me. I am a senior Computer Science major at UofA now. I am writing my own Programming Language in P.L. and me and 2 guys are starting our own company making an online auction site where students can sell, buy, and exchange their school books. We are also querying foreign databases and maintaining our own DB that shows what books a class requieres.

well they sud find ways 2 compress files further and new ways of compiling codes and sh!t

they need 2 invest in new techniques man. i dont beleive that games will b 10gb long, trust they will find a way to reduce game sizes by a long shot :)

dont diss programmers, im studying 2 become one

Back