Steam Summer sale is up

I still buy, despite the fact that I have probably 50 games in my backlog that I really want to play, and an additional 100 that I have not played yet.

A lot of the games I have been buying recently I already own on disc, but I want them all more to archive them. I don't want to have to worry about a disc dying on me in 20 years if I want to replay KOTOR or Morrowind or something like that.

It had to happen eventually, right?

This is the first time since steam sales began that I did not buy anything. I just have too many games in my backlog and I'm wondering if I'll ever actually get to them, let alone a new purchase. Ugh.

Yeah, similar situation here. I could not justify getting more games when my backlog is over 100 games strong. I need to get to work thinning it down before any new game purchase.

I have just realized that I previously bought games which I will never get around to playing because I want to play the more recent games.

If one of us wins the lottery, buy an abandoned building and rebuild it into a [H] frat house and game till our hearts' content.

Nice

Picked up:

Divinity Original Sin
Age of Wonders III
Tomb Raider
Saints Row IV season pass
State of Decay
Van Helsing II
Settlers 7
Rome 2 Total War DLC
Deus Ex HR Director's Cut

Hopefully all well worthwhile

Last edited:
How's GTA - Liberty City compared to other GTA games? For those who don't have GTA, the Complete Pack for $10 seems really good. I already own all of the games in that Complete Pack other than the GTA 3 and the aforementioned LC.

Well if I got anything from the Steam sale, it was the link to the Steam sales listing page (I think the third post in this thread) that page is awesome, now everything that's on sale by name without having to see graphics that represent the game and have to click next like 20 times to see everything.

Now if they could just find a way to distinguish early access from other games that would make my day.

Now if they could just find a way to distinguish early access from other games that would make my day.

I don't think there is a way to filter them out in normal listings, but when you go to the Steam homepage and click the Games drop-down, there is an Early Access option to see only those games. Not sure if that helps, though.

First steam sale in recent memory where I didn't spend over $100.

Until next time!

Welp, that backlog is well over 200 games long now.
Ha...ha...ha....

And I just had to choose Kingdoms of Amalur to start it off with... did not know what I was getting myself into. At least it plays really well on a 360 controller and looks excellent on my 51 inch plasma.

Last edited:
How's GTA - Liberty City compared to other GTA games? For those who don't have GTA, the Complete Pack for $10 seems really good. I already own all of the games in that Complete Pack other than the GTA 3 and the aforementioned LC.

Episodes from Liberty City were great IMO. I enjoyed both characters much more than Niko. Both add a lot of story missions and new side quests. Lost & Damn gives you a good biker gang experience. While Gay Tony feels a bit more like classic GTA with its over-the-top style (TANKS!).

Also various improvements like mid-mission checkpoints and you can replay any mission.

Did anybody pick up an extra Witcher 2 ?

It was on sale today for $3.99, I meant to get it but was with my kid and his therapist and by the time that was done I missed the deal, when I went to grab it it was back up to $19.99

I'll pay $8 for it, or double what you paid...

I didn't catch Mass Effect on sale (if it even went on sale). I've started playing ME2 and it's amazing, but I really feel like I need to start from the beginning for 2 reasons: 1) so I can get the whole story and 2) so I can drag out what seems to an outstanding series as long as possible.

...Yes, I always get into games well after they've come and gone. Not intentionally, that's how it plays out for me.

Edit: Almost forgot my questions! If not on Steam summer sale, where can I get the best deal on ME1 and ME3 or the whole trilogy?

I didn't catch Mass Effect on sale (if it even went on sale). I've started playing ME2 and it's amazing, but I really feel like I need to start from the beginning for 2 reasons: 1) so I can get the whole story and 2) so I can drag out what seems to an outstanding series as long as possible.

...Yes, I always get into games well after they've come and gone. Not intentionally, that's how it plays out for me.

Edit: Almost forgot my questions! If not on Steam summer sale, where can I get the best deal on ME1 and ME3 or the whole trilogy?
Check on Origin. I've seen the Trilogy on Origin on sale for $9.99 several times over the past few months. I think the first game sells for $5 and the third digital collector's edition for $10 by themselves.

IMO ME1 is the best of the 3. I would agree with you, it's definitely worth playing the original. It sets the stage for the 2nd game, and it's more of a classic cheesy 70's sci-fi space opera with the best story of the 3.

Wanted to buy various games during the sale.
The main 2 were - Wasteland 2 + Planetary Annihilation
Wateland 2 went for $10 off the cheapest that I saw it, so I skipped it.
I did get Planetary Annihilation for $17.00 bucks!!!!!!

Best purchase to date!!! Amazing game!!!

I got all three on Origin for $9.99 just about two months ago. My wife absolutely LOVES this game. This is already her second time playing all 3. She just finished #2 again. I'm installing 3 today. She was there at Gamestop years ago at Midnight to grab a fresh copy as soon as it came out. She purchased the book and read the story and I have her a game cloth/poster on it's way. I'm surprised she doesn't have a Mass Effect Tattoo! :)

This sale started off slow but finished strong for me, ended up with 10 new games!

Walking Dead Season 2
State of Decay
Mirrors Edge
Tomb Raider
CoH 2
Bioshock Infinite
Goat Sim
Strike Vector
The Swapper
Contagion

Too many zombie games :rolleyes:

IMO ME1 is the best of the 3. I would agree with you, it's definitely worth playing the original. It sets the stage for the 2nd game, and it's more of a classic cheesy 70's sci-fi space opera with the best story of the 3.

They worked almost backwards in their setup. ME1 had the best story but and the worst mechanics (I saw worst with a grain of salt, it was good), ME2 had a decent mix of both and ME3 had the least compelling story, but the best mechanics.

Also, there is some outstanding DLC for the game, especially for ME2. I've never understood why Origin will so heavily discount the game, but not the DLC given that the DLC has nice added value to the game. At the very least get Lair of the Shadow Broker. It was by far the best DLC out of all 3 expansions.

Check on Origin. I've seen the Trilogy on Origin on sale for $9.99 several times over the past few months. I think the first game sells for $5 and the third digital collector's edition for $10 by themselves.

I got all three on Origin for $9.99 just about two months ago. My wife absolutely LOVES this game. This is already her second time playing all 3. She just finished #2 again. I'm installing 3 today. She was there at Gamestop years ago at Midnight to grab a fresh copy as soon as it came out. She purchased the book and read the story and I have her a game cloth/poster on it's way. I'm surprised she doesn't have a Mass Effect Tattoo! :)

They worked almost backwards in their setup. ME1 had the best story but and the worst mechanics (I saw worst with a grain of salt, it was good), ME2 had a decent mix of both and ME3 had the least compelling story, but the best mechanics.

Also, there is some outstanding DLC for the game, especially for ME2. I've never understood why Origin will so heavily discount the game, but not the DLC given that the DLC has nice added value to the game. At the very least get Lair of the Shadow Broker. It was by far the best DLC out of all 3 expansions.

Sweet, I'm going to head over to Origin and see what I can find. Might as well go for the DLC as well. Thanks gang!

Had a really great run this sale with some fantastic games:

Trine
Trine 2
Payday: The Heist
Arma 2 + all DLC + Day z mod
Torchlight 2
Withcer 2

My haul for this sale, kept it pretty light because of my already huge backlog

The Swapper
Mass Effect Collection
Battle Block Theater 2 pack

Not a bad haul for right around $15 after selling some trading cards

I don't think there is a way to filter them out in normal listings, but when you go to the Steam homepage and click the Games drop-down, there is an Early Access option to see only those games. Not sure if that helps, though.

Well I was talking about the site http://steamdb.info/sales/ which I found absolutely awesome because I didn't need to go shuffling through a bunch of "next" buttons to find what I want, unfortunately on the Steam homepage my settings don't affect this site. Just would be nice if "Early Access" was some how known just by seeing the title of the game. I mean I'm not asking for Kerbal Space Program - EA (just for confusion sake) but saying - Early Access or having some sort of Beta symbol would be quite nice.

I think I over did it a little bit this sale..

Rochard
Bionic Commando
Tomb Raider Aniversary
Project Snowblind
RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe
Payday: The Heist
Payday 2
Storm in a Teacup
Alien Shooter 2
Outlast
Castle crashers
Castle Crashers Blacksmith DLC
Castle Crashers Pink Knight DLC
Battlefield 2 complete edition
Edge
Gateways
Hammerwatch
Farcry
Farcry 2
Farcry 3
Farcry Blood dragon
Steamworld Dig
How to Survive
Mars war logs
Fallout: New vegas
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes DLC: Asgard Pack
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes DLC: Super Pack
Metal Slug 3
Urban Trials
Garry's Mod
Simcity 4 deluxe
Serious Same Double D
Cant stop laughing bundle
Transformers War for Cybertron
Transformers Fall of Cybertron
Skullgirls
Halo: spartan Assault
Dead Rising 3
Torchlight 2
Don't Starve + Reign of Giants
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition

Borderlands 2 Cosmetic DLC
Divinity Original Sin
Dishonored GOTY

I held it together pretty good this time.

A good assessment. I will add that ME3 MP is amazing, overshadowing its SP and is still my most regularly played game to this day.

Re: DLC, the pricing is perfectly understandable. If you impulse buy DLC with the game during a summer sale Origin gets a few cents. If you want to buy DLC after discovering you love a game you picked up for a couple bucks, then Origin may be able to get a few more dollars out of you

It's interesting to see the different tastes.

Picked up:

Grim Dawn
Planetary Annihilation
Metro +DLC

Like others, I have a massive backlog.

Bulletstorm............................4.99 USD
RAGE...................................4.99 USD
Call of Juarez Gunslinger........3.74 USD
State of Decay.......................4.99 USD
BioShock Triple Pack............10.19 USD
Borderlands 2 GOTY………..$9.99USD

I bought:
Risk of Rain for $2.49
Don't Starve and its DLC Reign of Giants for $8.31 total
the DLCs for Borderlands 2 that aren't in the GOTY (the Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2 and the five Headhunter packs) for $7.15 total.

I got several games during this sale, but most of them were free ones I found elsewhere and had Steam keys. I think the only game I actually bought was Payday 1. :eek:

I got 3-4 games for free just from selling Steam Cards I'd amassed over the years.

I got quite a bit of stuff. Also got my friend Borderlands 2 GOTY and Risk of Rain. Didn't play either of them with him yet though.

I'm sitting here with 5 new games and no time or motivation to play them...

A good assessment. I will add that ME3 MP is amazing, overshadowing its SP and is still my most regularly played game to this day.

Re: DLC, the pricing is perfectly understandable. If you impulse buy DLC with the game during a summer sale Origin gets a few cents. If you want to buy DLC after discovering you love a game you picked up for a couple bucks, then Origin may be able to get a few more dollars out of you
Yes, ME3 multiplayer is definitely amazing. I pretty much played it around 6 hours every day for a whole year while I was looking for work. So much fun, especially if you can hook up with a friend or two or three ;).

I picked up:

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
The Walking Dead Season 2
XCom: Enemy Within
Risk of Rain
Metal Slug 3
Broken Sword 1-3, and 5
Can't Stop Laughing Bundle
Castle Crashers DLC
Batman: Arkham Origins
LA Noire
Borderlands 2 GOTY