Steam Summer Sale 2011

i don't think it's worth your money; you can try the demo on steam to get a feel for it though. mass effect 2 or fallout 3 would be better if you want an rpg type game, assuming you don't have at least one of them yet.

I have both of those. Guess I'll wait until something better comes along. Man, it's a long wait between now and [Awesome Game Coming Out in 3-5 Months]. :D

Amnesia any good?
a few seconds of research would let you its an excellent game if you like survival horror. plus there is a demo so try it yourself. they are the same guys who made the Penumbra games which were pretty darn good too.

I have both of those. Guess I'll wait until something better comes along. Man, it's a long wait between now and [Awesome Game Coming Out in 3-5 Months]. :D

I'm about to pick up The Last Remnant. The demo felt like Final Fantasy which was to be expected. It got bad reviews but most of those were for the 360. The PC version is much better from what I've heard and the story is above average. For a Final Fantasy or JRPG fan it's nice.

a few seconds of research would let you its an excellent game if you like survival horror. plus there is a demo so try it yourself. they are the same guys who made the Penumbra games which were pretty darn good too.

Finally, a cannondale06 post that I can throw my support behind.

My name is Fail and I endorse this message.

I cant please all the people all the time. :D

I take it that you played Amnesia? I bought it the last time it was on sale but have not gotten around to it yet. lol, I think its number 7 or 8 in my backlog.

I cant please all the people all the time. :D

I take it that you played Amnesia? I bought it the last time it was on sale but have not gotten around to it yet. lol, I think its number 7 or 8 in my backlog.

For 86 minutes, lol.

Any thoughts on Divinity II: DKS?

I'm downloading the demo at the moment, but the load on the servers us causing my download to go at a fraction of my connection speed :(

Come on guys...

I come on this thread to read about the deals, not about some nerd rage GOTY bullshit-lets talk about whats good to get today!

I'm thinking about Mafia 2-heard good things about that game. Mafia 1 is also cheap-is that good?

how2number backlogs? ever since i discovered these summer/thanksgiving/winter sales, theres so many i want to play but cant seems to figure out what to play first

on-topic: mafia 2 is pretty fun if you're into the GTA type gameplay. you can say its somewhat linear if you do what you;re supposed to in going from one spot to the next in town but you can run people over, steal cars, shoot cops and run more people over. if you like achievements, then its worth it to run around looking for all the wanted posters and playboy covers. all that said, i feel its worth 8 bucks. the story is pretty decent imo so i'd say its a good buy. i didnt play the first so i cant compare but i think m2 is worth 15 or so, so 8 is a good deal.

Last edited:
Mass Effect 2 is a superb game and it was my first venture into the FPS/ RPG hybrid arena.

Please get Deus Ex the next time it is on sale and give it a try. I know it is 11 years old but it was the best of this hyrid genre. Hell, I may pre-order Deus Ex: Human Revolution deluxe next month and could gift you the free copy of DE it comes with.

Please get Deus Ex the next time it is on sale and give it a try. I know it is 11 years old but it was the best of this hyrid genre. Hell, I may pre-order Deus Ex: Human Revolution deluxe next month and could gift you the free copy of DE it comes with.

The problem with DE1 is that it is too painfully old graphically for most, despite how good is was.

This is a bit off topic, since this has turned into "Nerd Breakfast Cereal Flame Thread 2.5" but The Last Remnant sucks a big huge fat one. Terrible, awful game, almost as abysmal as Star Fucking Ocean.

Did research, wanted to know more opinions from [H]. But not yours or his, you can retract them, thanks. Funny how forums are used for discussions sometimes.

How about mine? Amnesia is excellent immersive survival horror. You should probably discount my opinion though, as it matches the opinion of those you are choosing to ignore. I'm sure someone will come along shortly offering the opinion that you desire. Just be patient.

Did research, wanted to know more opinions from [H]. But not yours or his, you can retract them, thanks. Funny how forums are used for discussions sometimes.

Amnesia is good, whether or not you want my opinion, the fact will remain that Amnesia is good.

It's a game that requires a modicum of thinking, unlike your response.

This is a bit off topic, since this has turned into "Nerd Breakfast Cereal Flame Thread 2.5" but The Last Remnant sucks a big huge fat one. Terrible, awful game, almost as abysmal as Star Fucking Ocean.

Is the combat bad, the story, bugs, what?

Is the combat bad, the story, bugs, what?

I hate the combat, some like it though, I thought the story was rubbish and it just felt like a really pale shadow of older Square/FF titles. Nothing about it stood out as "good" -- it was merely acceptable/mediocre. No more. And of course personally I hated it because it was such a halfassed, shitty example of what Squaresoft has become in the modern era. I ended up deleting it and replaying FF7 for the 16th or something time. It just wasn't worth my time, much less my money. Thankfully I did not pay for it. :eek:

edit: I did not experience many bugs, but I had a lot of problems getting the controls to work before I bought a 360 controller. This was back around release though, I don't know if it was patched since then. Probably.

The problem with DE1 is that it is too painfully old graphically for most, despite how good is was.

There are some graphic mods that update the visuals. I installed them but found myself toggling them on/off in certain parts of the game. Being able to play the game at 1920x1080 is so much better than back in the day at 1024x768. Graphics do not make the game anyway. If everyone cared about graphics, games like Terraria and Minecraft would have no players.

BTW Fail, I sent you a friend request on Steam. Same name as here. Do you know how many people share your Steam name too? :D

I hate the combat, some like it though, I thought the story was rubbish and it just felt like a really pale shadow of older Square/FF titles. Nothing about it stood out as "good" -- it was merely acceptable/mediocre. No more. And of course personally I hated it because it was such a halfassed, shitty example of what Squaresoft has become in the modern era. I ended up deleting it and replaying FF7 for the 16th or something time. It just wasn't worth my time, much less my money. Thankfully I did not pay for it. :eek:

edit: I did not experience many bugs, but I had a lot of problems getting the controls to work before I bought a 360 controller. This was back around release though, I don't know if it was patched since then. Probably.

Allright, here is the million dollar question: did you like FF13? If the answer is no, I will not be buying this as you and I seem to be on the same page about Square's recent suckage.

If you add the DX texture upgrade and then crank up the AA/AF DX still is a fine looking game, with some of the best story based action/RPG gameplay that has ever been produced. It's also a very long game with a shit ton of backstory development and hidden stuff to find. A great, great game.

Allright, here is the million dollar question: did you like FF13? If the answer is no, I will not be buying this as you and I seem to be on the same page about Square's recent suckage.

I felt the FF series in general has gone too much to shit for me to care whether it was worth a look or not. I have not touched it, and I will not touch it. Square lost me as a fan and a customer a long time ago. :(

I only played Star Ocean and Last Remnant because I was stuck without internet for a period and had to play single player games and they were in the queue. I played both for a couple hours and deleted Remnant, and returned Star Ocean to gamestop with a harsh word for the moron at the store who had raved about it to me.

ff13 blows compared to their older games

I felt the FF series in general has gone too much to shit for me to care whether it was worth a look or not. I have not touched it, and I will not touch it. Square lost me as a fan and a customer a long time ago. :(

I only played Star Ocean and Last Remnant because I was stuck without internet for a period and had to play single player games and they were in the queue. I played both for a couple hours and deleted Remnant, and returned Star Ocean to gamestop with a harsh word for the moron at the store who had raved about it to me.

which star ocean are you referring to? last hope? that one was bad. but i enjoyed second story on the ps1. never did play till the end of time on ps2.

There are some graphic mods that update the visuals. I installed them but found myself toggling them on/off in certain parts of the game. Being able to play the game at 1920x1080 is so much better than back in the day at 1024x768. Graphics do not make the game anyway. If everyone cared about graphics, games like Terraria and Minecraft would have no players.

BTW Fail, I sent you a friend request on Steam. Same name as here. Do you know how many people share your Steam name too? :D

Snake Doctor is the call sign from this guy Jonas Blane of a show about Delta Force, The Unit.

I like it and have called myself that ever since.

I recommend both Divine Divinity 2 and The Last Remnant. Checking my hours it looks like I put in 145 hours into the Last Remnant for just 1 playthrough. I would read up on it though, the way character levels work it is kind of backwards and you can screw yourself by grinding mobs for exp. Check out the wiki for more info.

Is FALLOUT 3 worth it, I mean i think its only $9.99, i have bought at least one game per day that Steam has had its sales. I love steam :)

Is FALLOUT 3 worth it, I mean i think its only $9.99, i have bought at least one game per day that Steam has had its sales. I love steam :)
If you haven't played it yet and you enjoy single player adventure games then sure. Just be warned that the game is a little buggy. Save and save often.

I recommend both Divine Divinity 2 and The Last Remnant. Checking my hours it looks like I put in 145 hours into the Last Remnant for just 1 playthrough. I would read up on it though, the way character levels work it is kind of backwards and you can screw yourself by grinding mobs for exp. Check out the wiki for more info.

If you had to compare Divinity 2 to any other games what would they be?

I'm going to get flamed but imagine Oblivion with guns with greys and browns instead of everything else, probably some crashes every now and then. Other than that not much else, well the animations look like something from the NES days but enough about that.

Last edited:
If you had to compare Divinity 2 to any other games what would they be?

Think Diablo 2 meets The Witcher. Action based over the shoulder with emphasis on loot and stats. The story is forgettable in the original campaign, better in the additional DKS material, but still a hack and slash primarily.

Amnesia is good, whether or not you want my opinion, the fact will remain that Amnesia is good.

It's a game that requires a modicum of thinking, unlike your response.

Agreed. The entire first half of the game I was crawling around like a sick donkey dreading every corner knowing something will trigger a monster to spawn. It remains the most psychologically degrading and terrifying game I've played to this date. It's also pretty damn morbid at certain points. There is a huge BUT though, once you train yourself how to escape and deal with the monsters, the game becomes a little less frightening. Aside from the few surprises the game throws at you, it becomes pretty manageable. Fortunately this didn't really happen to me until the latter half of the game when the story is coming to an end.

Back