Steam Summer Sale 2011

Yeah, I was thinking about the game play itself vs. VC and SA. I figure the graphics will be much better - maybe too much for my 8800 GT to handle, but I'm due for a new computer/build later this year, and it may not be a bad idea to have this game's license in my account.

CPU matters more in this game. I got a bigger boost going from dual to quad core than I did going from my 8800GT to a 570GTX.

I think I bought a new game on Steam every day of this sale. Just too hard to pass up so many indy games on the cheap.

And holy crap is Terraria addicting! The 4 pack at $7.49 was a steal for the amount of coop greatness that game will deliver. :D

My damage was pretty bad...~$140, but a hell of a lot of games for the money...

Picked up:

Magic the Gathering: Planeswalkers Gold
Puzzle Agent 2 (Release)
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
Sam and Max: The Devils Playhouse
Terraria
Portal 2
Supreme Commander 2 - Infinite War Battle Pack One
Amnesa: The Dark Descent
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year
Sanctum
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
Jamestown
King Arthur Collection
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Frozen Synapse - Two Pack
Assassin's Creed II: Deluxe Edition
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Magicka: Robe Bundle
Magicka: Frozen Lake
Magicka: Watchtower
Magicka: Final Frontier
Magicka: Nippon DLC
Magicka: Marshland
The Heroes Pack
Borderlands DLC Claptrap
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
Back to the Future: The Game

Wow now that I type that list out...I must be crazy...

I'm doing good this sale. In total so far:

The Oddboxx $5.09
Sanctum $3.75

:cool:

Would anyone be interested in doing a Magicka 4 pack?

I don't want all the gear and pvp arenas in the complete pack, and plan to grab Vietnam separately.

I got
Mass Effect 2 for - $7
PAX - $2.50
Borderlands GOTY - $8

I already own Borderlands, but on actual media. Been wanting to get the DLCs for it, and this turned out to be a better deal.

I almost bit on Neverwinter Nights 2. I already own the media and the separate expansion packs. It is nice to have it all on steam, but I passed on it.

I find it funny that Terraria is taking up a slot on the recap sale, since it probably was only popular because of the mistake price of $2.50.

Terraria has hit #1 on sales quite a few times before the Summer sale began. If they hadn't pissed people with the price swap, $5 is still an incredible price and the revenue would still had made it an encore game.

Not sure if anyone else noticed/had this happen, but I had tickets get subtracted at some point yesterday. I only had two tickets, and they were for 'achievements' that I had done prior to the sale (for example, one was play a demo which I had done a year ago). Both returned to zero yesterday.

Just thought that was interesting.

Edit: Nevermind, did a hard refresh and they are back again today. Was gone from ~5pm yesterday on though. Weird.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking about the game play itself vs. VC and SA. I figure the graphics will be much better - maybe too much for my 8800 GT to handle, but I'm due for a new computer/build later this year, and it may not be a bad idea to have this game's license in my account.

I play on a 8800 GTS 320mb card, it plays fine, granted textures a lot of things are on low/medium and draw distances are to "I'm near sighted mother fucker" but as far as game play its perfectly fine. Cars are a LOT harder to control, "realism" was added, and a lot of bonuses were removed (like do firefighter missions 20 times and you're fireproof) etc, and you can't invest in businesses like you could in the other GTA games.

Also, IIRC it's quite heavily CPU dependent as far as how smooth it runs.

Anyone have an extra copy of Terraria for trade? I have an extra copy of Sanctum. Please PM.

CPU matters more in this game. I got a bigger boost going from dual to quad core than I did going from my 8800GT to a 570GTX.

I play on a 8800 GTS 320mb card, it plays fine, granted textures a lot of things are on low/medium and draw distances are to "I'm near sighted mother fucker" but as far as game play its perfectly fine. Cars are a LOT harder to control, "realism" was added, and a lot of bonuses were removed (like do firefighter missions 20 times and you're fireproof) etc, and you can't invest in businesses like you could in the other GTA games.

Also, IIRC it's quite heavily CPU dependent as far as how smooth it runs.
Thanks for the replies. In that case, my dual-core Socket 939 CPU wouldn't stand a chance. So I'll wait 'til I buy/build a new PC before buying something as CPU intensive as this. I'm sure this GTA4 deal will be available again later this year for $10 or maybe less, such as during the X-mas sale. :cool:

And, I'm spent. Picked up a couple keys (dang them) for the summer coolers. Lots of DLC this time around.

Refreshing Summer Cooler Key 4.98 USD
Poker Night 3.33 USD
Portal 2 24.99 USD
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year 10.19 USD
Mafia II 7.49 USD
Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta 2.49 USD
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures 2.49 USD
Trine 1.99 USD
Fallout: New Vegas 14.99 USD
Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money 2.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts DLC 2.99 USD
Defense Grid: The Awakening 2.49 USD
Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 1 0.24 USD
Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 2 0.24 USD
Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 3 0.24 USD
Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 4 0.24 USD
Transformers: War for Cybertron 7.49 USD
Darksiders 4.99 USD
HOARD 2.99 USD
Magicka Complete Pack (June 2011) 8.49 USD
Battlefield Pack - June 2011 9.99 USD
Heroes of Might and Magic 5 2.50 USD
JC2 DLC - Bull's Eye Assault Rifle 0.25 USD
JC2 DLC - Agency Hovercraft 0.25 USD
Rainbow Six Vegas 3.39 USD
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 3.39 USD

Im upset with STEAM, i bought Borderlands GOTY edition yesterday moring and im still not done downloading, Im at 5 gig. My interent speeds are 20 Down and i normally get 1.5 to 1.8 from steam but the speeds are so sporadic or paused most of the time im frustrated.

Im upset with STEAM, i bought Borderlands GOTY edition yesterday moring and im still not done downloading, Im at 5 gig. My interent speeds are 20 Down and i normally get 1.5 to 1.8 from steam but the speeds are so sporadic or paused most of the time im frustrated.

Change servers. Might speed it up. I have had no problem so far. Good speeds. About 10 gigs an hour.:)

It probably wasn't a mistake. Most likely it was a limited sale at that price and then a bump up to $5 once that volume was fulfilled. It is not the first item during this sale to have a price jump after a few hours.

Actually, it was a mistake. Blue (the guy who makes it) verified it on Twitter.

I find it funny how angry people got about the difference between $2.50 and $5 for a game that is definitely (IMO) worth $10.

On a somewhat related note, I actually tried to buy a 4-pack of Terraria even though I already own it, and it wouldn't let me. Kind of lame, why can't it just give me 4 gift copies?

Actually, it was a mistake. Blue (the guy who makes it) verified it on Twitter.

I find it funny how angry people got about the difference between $2.50 and $5 for a game that is definitely (IMO) worth $10.

On a somewhat related note, I actually tried to buy a 4-pack of Terraria even though I already own it, and it wouldn't let me. Kind of lame, why can't it just give me 4 gift copies?

This is the new ugly face of Valve. I have no idea what their reasoning is, but it has stopped me from buying a few packs for friends when I already owned the game in question. People here will tell you to gift the game to yourself via email, but if you read the fine print it is against the Steam EULA and your account can be banned for it. I'm not saying it'll happen, I'm just saying the fine print is there. Valve turned into a money-grubbing suckhole of a company that forgot where they came from. It happens. Wish I hadn't spent so much money on Steam over the years now... :eek:

This is the new ugly face of Valve. I have no idea what their reasoning is, but it has stopped me from buying a few packs for friends when I already owned the game in question. People here will tell you to gift the game to yourself via email, but if you read the fine print it is against the Steam EULA and your account can be banned for it. I'm not saying it'll happen, I'm just saying the fine print is there. Valve turned into a money-grubbing suckhole of a company that forgot where they came from. It happens. Wish I hadn't spent so much money on Steam over the years now... :eek:

wow didn't know this I was planning to buy several game packs next sale (Thanksgiving) and giving the games away I guess no more :(

I didn't spend much, around $30 since I got most of the games from last year sale so this summer sale is kinda disappointed, they just keep repeating the same deals (and some games are even more expensive than last year lol). Anyway I'm looking forward to the holiday sale :)

I'm probably the only person on this planet that got Bad Company 2 for five bucks, lol...

Also picked up Fable 3 and AssBro

Perhaps I was too tired and didnt really understand what to do, but Fate of the World didnt capture my attention for long.

I was in Europe for most of this sale so I wasn't able to take advantage of it, but even if I was here I wouldn't have purchased much of anything. Most of the interesting titles I've already purchased, and the ones I haven't (Shogun) are a little too expensive. I would have sprung on the first Witcher, but that never came up.

Glad I got Retribution for $7.50 though.

Man everything on sale that I wanted I have, makes me sad. Though I'm not sure if that's because I want to buy something or because I've bought too much.

[citation needed]

BREAKING NEWS: THIS ISN'T WIKIPEDIA

But he is correct - to claim that you need to post where SSA contain such text - I know Steam Subscriber Agreement pretty well and I dont think that its forbidden to gift to yourself. What is forbidden is to sell gifts.

13. TERM AND TERMINATION

Either you or Valve has the right to terminate or cancel your Account or a particular Subscription at any time.

The bit about gifting yourself games/packs to circumvent the steam purchasing rules isn't directly in there, but it's on either the Steam forum or the site itself somewhere, and they do say that your account can be disabled for doing it. I can't be arsed to find the entry, so either find it yourself or just call me a liar and continue your behavior. I really do not care. It's a stupid rule and a stupid position to take, but Valve has become a stupid company, so what can you expect?

If someone can find an updated answer from the official site or an actual Valve employee refuting this, I'll gladly edit my post and apologise. But you won't. This has been a major sticking point for me ever since I first read about it, after being pissed I couldn't gift a 4-pack of borderlands to my extended family I did the research and then became very, very angry. I'm very careful to not break the Steam rules in any way, because my account cost a fortune to assemble over the past 7 years. :mad:

The bit about gifting yourself games/packs to circumvent the steam purchasing rules isn't directly in there, but it's on either the Steam forum or the site itself somewhere, and they do say that your account can be disabled for doing it. I can't be arsed to find the entry, so either find it yourself or just call me a liar and continue your behavior. I really do not care. It's a stupid rule and a stupid position to take, but Valve has become a stupid company, so what can you expect?

If someone can find an updated answer from the official site or an actual Valve employee refuting this, I'll gladly edit my post and apologise. But you won't. This has been a major sticking point for me ever since I first read about it, after being pissed I couldn't gift a 4-pack of borderlands to my extended family I did the research and then became very, very angry. I'm very careful to not break the Steam rules in any way, because my account cost a fortune to assemble over the past 7 years. :mad:

They say that its not allowed to sell gift copies - nothing about gifting to yourself not being allowed. Four packs can only be bought if you dont already have that game.

Provide some source for your claim.

How can I deliver the gift at a later date?
If you are interested in purchasing a subscription for someone as a gift but do not want it delivered until a later date, please purchase the game as a gift sent to your own email address. As long as you do not redeem it, you will have a guest pass for this subscription on your account that can be resent at anytime.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=549

what difference would that make?

so now it's beyond you just not knowing something to actually rationalizing why you won't admit your mistake. you should just edit your original incorrect statement like you said you would

The challenge has been set for the Holiday Sale. Not for Steam to have better deals than they did for the Summer Sale, but for us to have more than 1,240 posts in the Holiday Sale 2011 thread. :cool:

I'm also looking to trade a copy of Sanctum, if anyone's interested. Terraria would be good. Trine would be good as well, but I doubt anyone has a copy of that.

did anybody get a spare copy of cs source for 5 bucks...looking for a copy to give to my nephew for his birthday and totally forgot about it.

Back